Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Door locks not working, trunk release and factory security issues....97 Riv

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
atxjax
Special

Name : Jax
Merit : 0

Door locks not working, trunk release and factory security issues....97 Riv Empty
PostSubject: Door locks not working, trunk release and factory security issues....97 Riv   Door locks not working, trunk release and factory security issues....97 Riv EmptyMon Jan 26, 2015 10:57 am

Just bought my my Supercharged 97 Riv. Its got 98K on the clock and exterior / interior look perfect.

Got it with no Key Fobs. Previous owner had the ignition resistor bypassed so it starts allt he time now. Imhaving some electrical issues I hope I can get some help with.

First off the power door locks do not work at all. When I got it the 15amp fuse for the door locks under the seat was not installed. When I put a fuse in I hear a click behind in the armrest for the passenger behind the drivers seat. Door locks still do not work.

The trunk release does not work as well. Not sure whats up with that. The gas door work though.

I did notice that there is a cable connector disconnected at the drivers kick panel. 1st connector closest to the kick panel itself. The connector is blue. I assume that has to do with the security. When I hook it up my interior lights work and all but the alarm goes off and I cant get it to turn off unless I disconnect it again. Having no key fob might be the issue.

Can anyone point me in right direction to fix these gremlins?
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

Door locks not working, trunk release and factory security issues....97 Riv Empty
PostSubject: Re: Door locks not working, trunk release and factory security issues....97 Riv   Door locks not working, trunk release and factory security issues....97 Riv EmptyMon Jan 26, 2015 12:36 pm

First thing I would do is look in the door jamb flexible boot.  Pull it back and look for broken wires.  Very common on this car and can cause a host of problems.  Trouble shooting these cars is next to impossible without the Factory Service Manual.  With the FSM and a multi meter, you can isolate the problem component or wire.  You can get them on E Bay easily.  This one is a steal,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-GM-1998-Dealership-Service-Repair-Manual-SET-AURORA-RIVIERA-2nd-Ed-/181323360906?pt=Motors_Manuals_Literature&hash=item2a37b6ea8a&vxp=mtr

The Key Fobs are also available but you need the correct one.  This is one for the 98 Riviera, GM/UTA 25678792, on E Bay,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-KEYLESS-ENTRY-REMOTE-OEM-KEY-FOB-25678792-/331456406333?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d2c57633d&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-KEYLESS-ENTRY-REMOTE-OEM-KEY-FOB-25678792-/121553616171?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c4d28fd2b&vxp=mtr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Door locks not working, trunk release and factory security issues....97 Riv   Door locks not working, trunk release and factory security issues....97 Riv EmptyMon Jan 26, 2015 6:47 pm

Is the plug you're talking about in this picture? If so, what number is it? You might be hearing the relay inside the RFA module kick on when you plug it in. I think I might be able to solve your issue if we can locate the connector you mention.....

Door locks not working, trunk release and factory security issues....97 Riv Lh_kic10
Back to top Go down
atxjax
Special

PostSubject: Re: Door locks not working, trunk release and factory security issues....97 Riv   Door locks not working, trunk release and factory security issues....97 Riv EmptyTue Jan 27, 2015 12:12 am

No its not in the picture. It's a box / module that has two connectors going to it. It is under the dash right by the kick panel. When this connector is unplugged it kills the interior lights and the alarm.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Door locks not working, trunk release and factory security issues....97 Riv   Door locks not working, trunk release and factory security issues....97 Riv EmptyTue Jan 27, 2015 9:13 am

atxjax wrote:
No its not in the picture. It's a box / module that has two connectors going to it. It is under the dash right by the kick panel. When this connector is unplugged it kills the interior lights and the alarm.

You must be referring to the Lamp Control Module then (#2). The Body Control Module is next to it on the right (#3)
Door locks not working, trunk release and factory security issues....97 Riv Lamp_c10
Back to top Go down
atxjax
Special

PostSubject: Re: Door locks not working, trunk release and factory security issues....97 Riv   Door locks not working, trunk release and factory security issues....97 Riv EmptyTue Jan 27, 2015 3:02 pm

yep thats the one.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Door locks not working, trunk release and factory security issues....97 Riv   Door locks not working, trunk release and factory security issues....97 Riv EmptyWed Jan 28, 2015 9:48 am

So, you plug that in, and the "alarm" just starts going off for no reason? Is this instantaneously, or does it take a minute? Have you tried plugging it in while you're in the car with the doors shut? Have you turned the Ignition to "RUN" after the alarm goes off? That should kill it if the resistor in the column is good. If you can get the alarm to turn off with the key, we can probably figure out what's going on.

You don't need key fobs as long as you have the Ignition Key. Is there an aftermarket alarm/remote start system wired in somewhere? Or is this just a case where the PO had an issue, and decided to ghetto rig it so the car would still run?
Back to top Go down
atxjax
Special

PostSubject: Re: Door locks not working, trunk release and factory security issues....97 Riv   Door locks not working, trunk release and factory security issues....97 Riv EmptyFri Jan 30, 2015 1:16 pm

The car just has the factory security system. When I plug it in the interior lights all work.....but if I close the door and re-open them the horn beeps for about a minute. Close the door and open it again and it will keep beeping for another minute.

I will try what you suggested about putting car to run with alarm going off to see what happens.

Also with the lights.........when I close the door the lights stay on and will drain the battery.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Door locks not working, trunk release and factory security issues....97 Riv   Door locks not working, trunk release and factory security issues....97 Riv EmptyFri Jan 30, 2015 1:36 pm

atxjax wrote:
Also with the lights.........when I close the door the lights stay on and will drain the battery.

Hmmm. By chance, is the yellow "DOOR OPEN" warning illuminated on the dash when you close the door (with the car running)? It might be something as simple as the door latch assembly is bad causing the lights to stay on. That might explain why the PO unplugged that module.....
Back to top Go down
atxjax
Special

PostSubject: Re: Door locks not working, trunk release and factory security issues....97 Riv   Door locks not working, trunk release and factory security issues....97 Riv EmptyFri Jan 30, 2015 3:49 pm

Abaddon wrote:

atxjax wrote:

Hmmm. By chance, is the yellow "DOOR OPEN" warning illuminated on the dash when you close the door (with the car running)? It might be something as simple as the door latch assembly is bad causing the lights to stay on. That might explain why the PO unplugged that module.....

Could be. I'll check. and report back.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Door locks not working, trunk release and factory security issues....97 Riv   Door locks not working, trunk release and factory security issues....97 Riv EmptyFri Jan 30, 2015 3:56 pm

atxjax wrote:
Could be. I'll check. and report  back.

Make sure that module is plugged in before you check. I wouldn't want something that simple to throw us (you) off.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Door locks not working, trunk release and factory security issues....97 Riv   Door locks not working, trunk release and factory security issues....97 Riv EmptyThu Feb 05, 2015 1:06 am

Abaddon wrote:

atxjax wrote:

I am pretty sure Abaddon's right on this one (the doorlatch switch is buggered) but also pretty sure that's not the only issue.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Door locks not working, trunk release and factory security issues....97 Riv   Door locks not working, trunk release and factory security issues....97 Riv Empty

Back to top Go down

Door locks not working, trunk release and factory security issues....97 Riv
Page 1 of 1