Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

KYB front struts for ’97 ???

Go down 
+21
robotennis61
fieromanie
turtleman
VJD2
97 park ave
Mr.Riviera
sqrivi
albertj
Rickw
arttu80
Buickman104
97rivsc
ewolfe0050
palermocorey90
SpaceBar
Jason
RivMan
1998 Riv
AA
Jack the R
SilveR
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

KYB front struts for ’97 ??? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: KYB front struts for ’97 ???   KYB front struts for ’97 ??? - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 3:43 pm

Yes. I got mine from NAPA or Carquest, can't remember which. I don't know if those particular bolts will work, but if Summit says they'll work for the Riv they should be fine.
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: KYB front struts for ’97 ???   KYB front struts for ’97 ??? - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 4:43 pm

So I'm clear on this, using cam bolts like those means you do not have to touch your new struts to make it work but means you have to make sure your alignment is correct after install?

So the reason Ewolfe had to get these slots cut into the lower strut mount is strictly to correct a difference in alignment at that area? That's better than what I was thinking.
Back to top Go down
VJD2
Fanatic
VJD2

Name : Vinny
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: KYB front struts for ’97 ???   KYB front struts for ’97 ??? - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 12, 2010 12:19 am

albertj wrote:

Hard to say, I will comment on my experience.

Monroe: I have never driven Monroe-matics or Sensa-Tracs long enough to find out when (how many years/miles) they die.

OE: Same as Monroe, I replaced them 'cause I did not like the ride. My recent experience with high mileage cars is OE shocks run around 100K miles before problems crop up.

Gabriel: I got excellent service from them and would likely still be running them except the casings rusted and started seeping oill, so I put on KYBs. Except for Bilsteins I like the Gabriel ride best.

Boge: Had these on a Volvo 740 and an Audi A6 Qvant Quattro. On the Volvo, I think I replaced 'em at around 130K (had the car to 192K), put KYB GR-2 (Front) and Gas-a-Just (rear) on. On the Audi, I replaced 'em at around 125 K I think, becasue I did not like the ride anymore, put Euro-spec (NOT USA spec, both are available) Bilsteins on.

KYB: So far so good on my Riv, no failure-point estimate.

ACDelco - Don't know, except the one set I had (fronts) were just like the OE struts. I am very happy with the ACDelco rear air shocks. So on the fronts I'd ask an installer.

Albertj

Thank you for your input. I'm sure a lot of other members were wondering the same thing. It will make the process of selecting new struts easier.

I was going to go the KYB route but I just don't feel like messing around with them to modify them for my '97. I don't feel the little advantage is worth the work.

I'll probably end up doing Gabriel in the front and Monroe MaxAirs in the back.
Back to top Go down
97 park ave
Addict
97 park ave

Name : Tyler
Merit : 21

PostSubject: Re: KYB front struts for ’97 ???   KYB front struts for ’97 ??? - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 12, 2010 12:52 am

VJD2 wrote:
I was going to go the KYB route but I just don't feel like messing around with them to modify them for my '97. I don't feel the little advantage is worth the work.

I'll probably end up doing Gabriel in the front and Monroe MaxAirs in the back.

i dont know if this helps, but jcwhitney was the only place i was able to find kybs for my 97 park avenue, it doesnt show up for the riv but i checked rock auto and part numbers for the 97 park avenue and 97 rivs are the same. heres the link for the kybs for a 97 park avenue.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/gr-2-strut-assemblies/p2017690.jcwx?filterid=d200y1997j1

keep in mind i havent ordered these yet, you might want to contact someone there to confirm if these will work on a 97 for sure.

Back to top Go down
VJD2
Fanatic
VJD2

PostSubject: Re: KYB front struts for ’97 ???   KYB front struts for ’97 ??? - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 12, 2010 6:47 pm

97 park ave wrote:

i dont know if this helps, but jcwhitney was the only place i was able to find kybs for my 97 park avenue, it doesnt show up for the riv but i checked rock auto and part numbers for the 97 park avenue and 97 rivs are the same. heres the link for the kybs for a 97 park avenue.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/gr-2-strut-assemblies/p2017690.jcwx?filterid=d200y1997j1

keep in mind i havent ordered these yet, you might want to contact someone there to confirm if these will work on a 97 for sure.

Ok so check this out. After your suggestion I did a little research. Not surprising that J.C. Whitney isn't entirely right. The part number that they list (W0133-1613280-KYB) is not correct for either your Park Ave or the Riviera.

Every where I and I'm sure others have looked like before there is no such thing as a KYB strut for the 97 Riviera until today.

I went on KYB's site and found this......

KYB front struts for ’97 ??? - Page 3 KYB

Could it be? KYB is releasing a replacement strut for the 97 Riv later this year?? It would seem so. The part number doesn't match any other year. What do you think?
Back to top Go down
97 park ave
Addict
97 park ave

PostSubject: Re: KYB front struts for ’97 ???   KYB front struts for ’97 ??? - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 12, 2010 7:11 pm

nice find, that would be sick if they started making struts for us. it looks to me like theyre going to be making some air shocks for us too, i wonder how they will compare to delcos. have you tried e-mailing them and asking if this is correct? if you dont i think i might im excited twisted
Back to top Go down
VJD2
Fanatic
VJD2

PostSubject: Re: KYB front struts for ’97 ???   KYB front struts for ’97 ??? - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 2:51 pm

Looks like its gonna happen, it would be nice to have that option. I haven't emailed them yet but if you want do that, go for it and let us know what ya hear back.
Back to top Go down
97 park ave
Addict
97 park ave

PostSubject: Re: KYB front struts for ’97 ???   KYB front struts for ’97 ??? - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 5:08 pm

i sent an email to their tech support for both the riv and the park ave, ill post back here when i get a reply.
Back to top Go down
VJD2
Fanatic
VJD2

PostSubject: Re: KYB front struts for ’97 ???   KYB front struts for ’97 ??? - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 7:19 pm

Cool,thanks!
Back to top Go down
97 park ave
Addict
97 park ave

PostSubject: Re: KYB front struts for ’97 ???   KYB front struts for ’97 ??? - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 16, 2010 9:41 pm

Quote :
Tyler,
They are expected to arrive in December.

Tech

i just got that email back from KYB's tech support, looks like KYB's will be available for the 97 front and rear in december. cool
Back to top Go down
VJD2
Fanatic
VJD2

PostSubject: Re: KYB front struts for ’97 ???   KYB front struts for ’97 ??? - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 9:24 am

That is great but that sucks because I need to do my suspension like yesterday. Argh.

Well I guess maybe next time around. I can't wait until December.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: KYB front struts for ’97 ???   KYB front struts for ’97 ??? - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 9:38 am

Sometimes we have to wait long periods (3 years in this case) before parts become available, or before we discover they exist. I'm just glad the GR-2s are finally obtainable for '97s - well worth the wait, imo.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
VJD2
Fanatic
VJD2

PostSubject: Re: KYB front struts for ’97 ???   KYB front struts for ’97 ??? - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 12:10 pm

I completely understand and I'm very happy for all us 97 owners. I just don't want to be in a garage in the dead of winter switching out a suspension and why pay someone to do it when I can?

If I can afford it I'll get them in a year or so and switch them out. I'm on limited time and my car is bouncing all over the place.
Back to top Go down
97 park ave
Addict
97 park ave

PostSubject: Re: KYB front struts for ’97 ???   KYB front struts for ’97 ??? - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 4:35 pm

VJD2 wrote:
That is great but that sucks because I need to do my suspension like yesterday. Argh.

Well I guess maybe next time around. I can't wait until December.

lol youre tellin me, ive needed front struts for almost a year. theyre not too bad yet but way too sloppy for my liking. i think ill just have to get some delcos or somethin for now and then ill pick these up when they come out.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: KYB front struts for ’97 ???   KYB front struts for ’97 ??? - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 6:57 pm

Hmmm.....

most cars are *not* junked for suspension problems, maybe the thing to do is get a fresher set of struts from a junkyard.

Maybe someone with access to the Hollander data can check and tell us which ones will fit the '97. You could get a set cheap, swap them in for winter to get rid of the acute handling problem, then put good ones on next year like you're already planning. I bet you'll easily find some Aurora in a junkyard somewhere that the previous owner put Monroes or some such on and only rode 'em a year or 2 before ditching the car. Watch out for the optional Aurora active suspension.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
fieromanie
Amateur

Name : Pierre Lauzon
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: KYB front struts for ’97 ???   KYB front struts for ’97 ??? - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 8:31 pm

Good news.. I'm planning some work on my 97 next spring.
Thanks for the info.
Back to top Go down
97 park ave
Addict
97 park ave

PostSubject: Re: KYB front struts for ’97 ???   KYB front struts for ’97 ??? - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 8:33 pm

albertj wrote:
Hmmm.....

most cars are *not* junked for suspension problems, maybe the thing to do is get a fresher set of struts from a junkyard.

Maybe someone with access to the Hollander data can check and tell us which ones will fit the '97. You could get a set cheap, swap them in for winter to get rid of the acute handling problem, then put good ones on next year like you're already planning. I bet you'll easily find some Aurora in a junkyard somewhere that the previous owner put Monroes or some such on and only rode 'em a year or 2 before ditching the car. Watch out for the optional Aurora active suspension.

Albertj

honestly albert, i was thinking about this route but like i said my fronts arent THAT bad, its just me being anal. i think i might try to stick it out until spring but this is definitely a route i could take.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: KYB front struts for ’97 ???   KYB front struts for ’97 ??? - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 8:37 pm

97 park ave wrote:
albertj wrote:
Hmmm.....

Albertj

honestly albert, i was thinking about this route but like i said my fronts arent THAT bad, its just me being anal. i think i might try to stick it out until spring but this is definitely a route i could take.

might work for Vinny

Albertj
Back to top Go down
VJD2
Fanatic
VJD2

PostSubject: Re: KYB front struts for ’97 ???   KYB front struts for ’97 ??? - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 12:29 am

Thanks for the idea, didn't quite think of that.

I'm going to be installing some Eibach springs at the same time so I have to decide if I want to wait until spring and try to find an entire strut assembly at the junkyard and how much they want to charge for them. Might not be worth it but we'll see.

Many factors at this point. Nothing is easy I tell ya. smile

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
97 park ave
Addict
97 park ave

PostSubject: Re: KYB front struts for ’97 ???   KYB front struts for ’97 ??? - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 1:49 am

VJD2 wrote:
...I'm going to be installing some Eibach springs at the same time so I have to decide if I want to wait until spring...
thats crazy, thats the same reason ive been waiting lol. i want to order some eibachs and since the front struts have to come off and apart and an alignment is needed i figured id wait for fresh struts at the same time lol
Back to top Go down
VJD2
Fanatic
VJD2

PostSubject: Re: KYB front struts for ’97 ???   KYB front struts for ’97 ??? - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 12:45 am

Pretty cool, great minds think alike?? Haha.

I've had my Eibach's for a month or so now. Just had to get my hands on some struts.

Most likely I will just go with something available instead of going through the hassle of buying, replacing, removing, buying and replacing again just to have KYB's.

As long as I get a decent ride at this point I'm good.
Back to top Go down
97 park ave
Addict
97 park ave

PostSubject: Re: KYB front struts for ’97 ???   KYB front struts for ’97 ??? - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 2:14 am

same here, mine are starting to get bad faster and faster. theyre starting to make a little noise now.
Back to top Go down
VJD2
Fanatic
VJD2

PostSubject: Re: KYB front struts for ’97 ???   KYB front struts for ’97 ??? - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 10:04 am

Mine aren't making any noise yet luckily but when I hit a bump I could probably catapult over the car in front of me it so bouncy. Pretty embarrassing.
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: KYB front struts for ’97 ???   KYB front struts for ’97 ??? - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 26, 2010 11:10 pm

Guess what 1997 owners...
THEY ANSWERED OUR CRIES
KYB front struts for ’97 ??? - Page 3 KYBcat
(note: "63" designates new part number for 4th quarter 2010)

Last edited by turtleman on Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:34 pm; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: KYB front struts for ’97 ???   KYB front struts for ’97 ??? - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 26, 2010 11:14 pm

which cries??
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: KYB front struts for ’97 ???   KYB front struts for ’97 ??? - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

KYB front struts for ’97 ???
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next