Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Gen V Supercharger Swap

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
rivieraking
Special

Name : Dwight
Merit : 0

Gen V Supercharger Swap Empty
PostSubject: Gen V Supercharger Swap   Gen V Supercharger Swap EmptyWed Jun 24, 2015 1:48 am

I'm interested in doing a swap from my gen 3 to gen 5 supercharger with lower intake on my 1996 Buick Riviera. Are thhere any special modifications for this swap such as shaving of alternator or etc?
Back to top Go down
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

Name : Tyler
Merit : 20

PostSubject: Re: Gen V Supercharger Swap   Gen V Supercharger Swap EmptyWed Jun 24, 2015 7:59 am

Hi, welcome to the forum.

Yes, you will need to shave the alternator a bit. It is extremely easy if you have a grinder. You will also need to buy three longer bolts. 120mm, 140mm, and 80mm if I remember correctly. If you intend to use your stock throttle body, you will need to buy an adapter plate.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Gen V Supercharger Swap   Gen V Supercharger Swap EmptyWed Jun 24, 2015 8:58 am

Sir Psycho Sexy wrote:
Hi, welcome to the forum.

Yes, you will need to shave the alternator a bit. It is extremely easy if you have a grinder. You will also need to buy three longer bolts. 120mm, 140mm, and 80mm if I remember correctly. If you intend to use your stock throttle body, you will need to buy an adapter plate.

You will also need to rework how the vac lines go because the 96 has the vac controlled tranny. The vac tree on the gen 3 blower is not on the gen 5.

Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: Gen V Supercharger Swap   Gen V Supercharger Swap EmptyWed Jun 24, 2015 1:07 pm

definitely go for the northstar throttle body. I was very happy with difference in throttle and if youre gonna get an adapter plate, might as well get one for the N*.
Back to top Go down
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

PostSubject: Re: Gen V Supercharger Swap   Gen V Supercharger Swap EmptyWed Jun 24, 2015 3:54 pm

^agreed. You can find them dirt cheap if you look too.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Gen V Supercharger Swap   Gen V Supercharger Swap EmptyWed Jun 24, 2015 3:55 pm

Let's not forget that if you go ahead and do all of this, be prepared to drop some coin on a tuner, or someone who can tune it for you.....
Back to top Go down
rivieraking
Special

PostSubject: Re: Gen V Supercharger Swap   Gen V Supercharger Swap EmptyThu Jun 25, 2015 10:14 am

What weebsite where I can find northstar throttle bodies?
Back to top Go down
rivieraking
Special

PostSubject: Re: Gen V Supercharger Swap   Gen V Supercharger Swap EmptyThu Jun 25, 2015 10:31 am

What website where I can find northstar throttle bodies?
Back to top Go down
rivieraking
Special

PostSubject: Re: Gen V Supercharger Swap   Gen V Supercharger Swap EmptyThu Jun 25, 2015 10:31 am

What website where I can find northstar throttle bodies?
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Gen V Supercharger Swap   Gen V Supercharger Swap EmptyThu Jun 25, 2015 12:42 pm

http://zzperformance.com/3800/air-intake.html

Link to Northstar install and adapter plates. They don't sell the actual TB anymore like they used to. You can always nab one of a Caddy in the junkyard....
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: Gen V Supercharger Swap   Gen V Supercharger Swap EmptyThu Jun 25, 2015 1:53 pm

Abaddon wrote:
http://zzperformance.com/3800/air-intake.html

Link to Northstar install and adapter plates. They don't sell the actual TB anymore like they used to. You can always nab one of a Caddy in the junkyard....

I am pretty sure I was the tipping point that made ZZP stop selling them. And I take pride in that. hi
Back to top Go down
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

PostSubject: Re: Gen V Supercharger Swap   Gen V Supercharger Swap EmptyThu Jun 25, 2015 1:53 pm

If you're on Facebook, search for w-body, 3800, gtp, or l67, and you will find several groups dedicated to buying/selling 3800 stuff. There's cool stuff floating around there all the time.
Back to top Go down
rivieraking
Special

PostSubject: Re: Gen V Supercharger Swap   Gen V Supercharger Swap EmptyFri Jun 26, 2015 1:29 am

Thanks guys! And by the way what year Cadillac to remove throttle body from? I'm planning on going to the junkyard next weekend.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gen V Supercharger Swap   Gen V Supercharger Swap Empty

Back to top Go down

Gen V Supercharger Swap
Page 1 of 1