Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Buyting '99 with supercharfer problems

Go down 
+6
1997riv
deekster_caddy
robotennis61
LARRY70GS
RidzRiv
jcc3inc
10 posters
AuthorMessage
jcc3inc
Special

Name : Jack C. Cain
Merit : 0

Buyting  '99 with supercharfer problems Empty
PostSubject: Buyting '99 with supercharfer problems   Buyting  '99 with supercharfer problems EmptySat Sep 26, 2015 1:38 pm

I found an ad for a '99 that appears nice, but the seller states that the car runs but his mechanic says it has supercharger problems and the check-engine light is flashing! I have not seen the car yet because of the distance. It has less than 50K on it. Could I disable the supercharger by removing the belt and drive it home, about 800 miles?

What would be a reasonable offering price?

While I am generally familiar with the 3800 series I and II, I have no experience with a supercharger and its problems.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

JCC3INC
Back to top Go down
RidzRiv
Addict
RidzRiv

Name : Greg
Merit : 17

PostSubject: Re: Buyting '99 with supercharfer problems   Buyting  '99 with supercharfer problems EmptySat Sep 26, 2015 4:52 pm

If the check engine light is flashing, I would say that it is not going to make it the 800 mile trip back home. I believe that means the issue is pretty bad when the light is flashing and not just on. I would doubt that the supercharger would cause a flashing check engine light.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 150

PostSubject: Re: Buyting '99 with supercharfer problems   Buyting  '99 with supercharfer problems EmptySat Sep 26, 2015 5:52 pm

Yes, you can run without the supercharger. It is a pain to get the belt off because of the motor mount. You can cut it off but I wouldn't if all the supercharger is doing is making some coupler noise. Like I said on the other board, the flashing CEL means there is impending catalytic converter damage. Usual cause is misfiring that puts unburned fuel into the exhaust and overheats the converter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Buyting '99 with supercharfer problems   Buyting  '99 with supercharfer problems EmptySat Sep 26, 2015 5:57 pm

I'm no expert but it's just not a good idea to run the car with out the supercharger.Look it up.

http://tinyurl.com/o45gu5l
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 150

PostSubject: Re: Buyting '99 with supercharfer problems   Buyting  '99 with supercharfer problems EmptySat Sep 26, 2015 6:52 pm

The engine runs without the supercharger most of the time. If you look at that link, one guy ran his car for 2 months without the supercharger. It would just make the engine a dog, that's all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Buyting '99 with supercharfer problems   Buyting  '99 with supercharfer problems EmptySun Sep 27, 2015 7:21 am

My brother ran my '98 without the supercharger hooked up for months. No problem whatsoever, just slower.
Back to top Go down
1997riv
Enthusiast

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Buyting '99 with supercharfer problems   Buyting  '99 with supercharfer problems EmptySun Sep 27, 2015 11:21 pm

If you can keep the engine under light load the bypass will be open and you'll never even notice the supercharger isn't spinning because it will pull air naturally before the rotors.  If you do load it enough that the bypass closes it will try and pull air through the rotors that aren't spinning, someone described that as breathing with you fingers over your mouth, and it will be pretty weak like Larry said earlier.  At least that's how I understand the valve to work.

Last edited by stydel311 on Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

PostSubject: Re: Buyting '99 with supercharfer problems   Buyting  '99 with supercharfer problems EmptySun Sep 27, 2015 11:23 pm

Lets go back to the basics, 90% of the time when these engines are missfiring it's plugs/wires. If you have a scantool you can scan and see which cylinder(s) is missing.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Buyting '99 with supercharfer problems   Buyting  '99 with supercharfer problems EmptyMon Sep 28, 2015 8:15 am

matt270avian wrote:
Lets go back to the basics, 90% of the time when these engines are missfiring it's plugs/wires. If you have a scantool you can scan and see which cylinder(s) is missing.

How's he gonna "go back to basics" and scan when he hasn't bought the car yet, and it's hundreds of miles away?

Yes, you can run the car without the S/C belt (as others have stated). I highly doubt the S/C is the root cause of the flashing SES light. The reason the SES light is flashing is because the engine is misfiring horribly, and could blow up the Catalytic Converter. So no, a long trip with a flashing SES light is not a good idea.
The actual cause of the misfire is probably something stupid. If the car is cheap, buy it. You could probably find the problem quite quickly.
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

PostSubject: Re: Buyting '99 with supercharfer problems   Buyting  '99 with supercharfer problems EmptyMon Sep 28, 2015 12:09 pm

Abaddon wrote:
How's he gonna "go back to basics" and scan when he hasn't bought the car yet, and it's hundreds of miles away?

Whoops, I completely glossed over that part.. Hurrdurr bonk
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: Buyting '99 with supercharfer problems   Buyting  '99 with supercharfer problems EmptyTue Sep 29, 2015 2:38 pm

matt270avian wrote:

Abaddon wrote:

Whoops, I completely glossed over that part.. Hurrdurr bonk

All the same Matt has a point, it MIGHT be possible to field-diagnose and fix such a misfire. Wonder if the plug wires got mixed up?Wonder if there's a couple bad wires that killed a coil? As you know, blinking CEL normally means a misfire that would dump the unburned fuel into the intake manifold--and would be detectable by the ECM. Pull the plug wires at the coil and plug ends, one by one. I bet you find at least one bad coil connector.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
jcc3inc
Special

Name : Jack C. Cain

PostSubject: Re: Buyting '99 with supercharfer problems   Buyting  '99 with supercharfer problems EmptyTue Sep 29, 2015 3:43 pm

To all of you that offered suggestions:

Thank for all your good ideas. Another buyer purchased the car; the distance was an impediment to my getting a crack at it.

When I owned a '91 Reatta, there was a good, active support group to help with problems. You guys are an EXCELLENT aid and I do thank you for your comments. There are other Rivieras that I am considering and most likely will be back with more questions.

JCC
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Buyting '99 with supercharfer problems   Buyting  '99 with supercharfer problems EmptyTue Sep 29, 2015 5:27 pm

jcc3inc wrote:
To all of you that offered suggestions:

Thank for all your good ideas. Another buyer purchased the car; the distance was an impediment to my getting a crack at it.

When I owned a '91 Reatta, there was a good, active support group to help with problems. You guys are an EXCELLENT aid and I do thank you for your comments. There are other Rivieras that I am considering and most likely will be back with more questions.

JCC  

Well, It's too bad you couldn't have picked up that 99 with low miles. I'll bet the repairs were not going to cost much at all.

Anyway, there's always another one, just have to be patient. Although LOW Mileage vehicles can be hard to find for the right money.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Buyting '99 with supercharfer problems   Buyting  '99 with supercharfer problems Empty

Back to top Go down

Buyting '99 with supercharfer problems
Page 1 of 1