Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

AC Problems..NEED HELP!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ghost88
Enthusiast

Name : Abe
Merit : 6

AC Problems..NEED HELP! Empty
PostSubject: AC Problems..NEED HELP!   AC Problems..NEED HELP! EmptyWed May 27, 2009 9:50 pm

I bought my Rivi about a month ago and the ac wasnt working cold so i got a couple cans of freon and filled it up to 45psi. It workd for a couple of weeks but the drive side never got anywhere near as cold as the passenger and now its now no longer cold at all on either side.

I popped the hood today and noticed the compressor wasnt kicking in and the gauge showd 30psi but as i started to fill it the compressor instantly kicked on and pressure slowly climded to about 35psi but still wasnt cold.

How would i be able to tell if i have air in the system? I was told this could be it. Any other ideas?
Back to top Go down
ghost88
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: AC Problems..NEED HELP!   AC Problems..NEED HELP! EmptyThu May 28, 2009 1:10 am

so i went out tonite with a UV light and didnt see any leaks but after looking through some old threads i checked the middle vacuum line on the "w" fittign on top of the SC and for some reason the PO capped the line off with a screw??

Can somebody point me to where i should run the new line to?

I'm going to try having the lines evacuated and running a cleaner through the system than filling it back up with 134a (synthetic kind with "cool boost clamims colder air faster, worth it??) and connecting that line so hopefully it should solve my problem. Any other pointers i shit i can try??
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: AC Problems..NEED HELP!   AC Problems..NEED HELP! EmptyThu May 28, 2009 8:23 am

An empty A/C system needs help. First of all, there is a leak, and that needs to be fixed before bothering with anything else. Second, when a system is empty, it needs to be put under a vacuum before filling to remove the moisture that regular air brings with it. You probably will need a new filter/receiver/dryer since it's been exposed to regular air for who knows how long.

It's not a DIY job.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: AC Problems..NEED HELP!   AC Problems..NEED HELP! EmptyThu May 28, 2009 8:39 am

ghost88 wrote:
It worked for a couple of weeks but the drive side never got anywhere near as cold as the passenger and now its now no longer cold at all on either side.
Based on this statement you have another relatively common problem.
There are 4 or 5 control modules inside the car attached to the HVAC box that operate the various doors to direct airflow.
Sounds like one of them is not working properly, that's why you have warm air on one side and cold air coming out the other side when the system is charged properly.
There is a write up on this site with pictures showing the location of these units and a description of how to replace them.
I had the same problem some time ago and replacing one solved that problem.
Also, as Derek pointed out in the above post you need to have the system completely evacuated and the leak found and a new receiver drier as it contains desiccant that absorbs a small amount of moisture. When the system has been empty due to leaks or opened by removing a hose, the dryer needs to be replaced, as you can not get the moisture out of the old one. They are throw away units.
Back to top Go down
ghost88
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: AC Problems..NEED HELP!   AC Problems..NEED HELP! EmptyThu May 28, 2009 9:31 am

So a could need a new reciever/dryer? I checked for leaks with a uv light last night and didnt see anything.

Do you have a link to the writeup?

Last but not least can anybody tell me where i would need to run the line from the vacuum fitting on top of the SC to? From what ive been reading up on this line has to do with the driver side doors opening and closing.
Back to top Go down
Snowdog
Addict
Snowdog

Name : Timo
Merit : 24

PostSubject: Re: AC Problems..NEED HELP!   AC Problems..NEED HELP! EmptyThu May 28, 2009 11:19 am

you filled it yourself?? uhh..
like others sayed before..
1st you need to let the system run in vacum for 15minutes...then mesure...for leaks..should be 1bar vacum or so.. thats the 1st step..for cleaning/dryng and shecking for leaks...
should check all the valves tho on the filling holes. sometimes they leak.

after that under the bonnet is a sticker showing how many grams of freoon goes there...under 1kg as i remember.
should fill it whit 980gram of freoon then AC pump oil...like 10g and 10 of the special AC leak dedection color. that will make it easyer for finding leaks in future.
when thats done. turn the AC on ON MAX! and let it run for some minutes.

well...im going to fill/clean my AC system next week. Uno's naber got the AC filling/cleaning system. will make pictures if anyone is interested..
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: AC Problems..NEED HELP!   AC Problems..NEED HELP! EmptyThu May 28, 2009 11:29 am

I've never heard of the drivers side door opening/closing having anything to do with a vacuum line. Please post a pic of the vacuum line you mean.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: AC Problems..NEED HELP!   AC Problems..NEED HELP! EmptyThu May 28, 2009 12:52 pm

ghost88 wrote:
Do you have a link to the writeup?
https://rivperformance.editboard.com/interior-f20/write-up-hvac-assembly-t2500.htm#27279

This is just one link. Do a search for HVAC and see what else you can come up with and also click on the "Write-Ups" tab and look through that section.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: AC Problems..NEED HELP!   AC Problems..NEED HELP! Empty

Back to top Go down

AC Problems..NEED HELP!
Page 1 of 1