Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

NEW CARB FOR MY 307 I INSTALLED

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
randall729
Rookie

Name : randall r. beard
Merit : 0

NEW CARB FOR MY 307 I INSTALLED Empty
PostSubject: NEW CARB FOR MY 307 I INSTALLED   NEW CARB FOR MY 307 I INSTALLED EmptyThu Oct 08, 2015 8:50 pm

I believe the carb is installed right. Car starts and runs fine. Idle seems about right. No dieseling when I shut off. I can't figure out why the car quits when I put it in drive? Then I restart it, put in drive, car quits. It seems to idle perfectly. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON HERE? (Trying to take it out for a test spin with this new carb.) Thanks anyone commenting
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: NEW CARB FOR MY 307 I INSTALLED   NEW CARB FOR MY 307 I INSTALLED EmptyFri Oct 09, 2015 2:38 pm

Sounds like a vacuum leak. Does the base gasket match the carb base exactly? There are many "universal" quadrajet base gaskets, but a lot of the emissions-ridden q-jets had specific base gaskets you need to use.

Try lightly spraying some carb cleaner around the base of the carb, see if you get the engine to stumble or rev when you do this, it will indicate a vacuum leak.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: NEW CARB FOR MY 307 I INSTALLED   NEW CARB FOR MY 307 I INSTALLED EmptyFri Oct 09, 2015 3:37 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:
Sounds like a vacuum leak. Does the base gasket match the carb base exactly? There are many "universal" quadrajet base gaskets, but a lot of the emissions-ridden q-jets had specific base gaskets you need to use.

Try lightly spraying some carb cleaner around the base of the carb, see if you get the engine to stumble or rev when you do this, it will indicate a vacuum leak.

You should also check the timing and the vacuum advance. You may not have a vac leak per se but if the advance isn't working it won't run right.
Back to top Go down
randall729
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: NEW CARB FOR MY 307 I INSTALLED   NEW CARB FOR MY 307 I INSTALLED EmptyMon Nov 23, 2015 8:37 pm

My car now runs fine. The problem was a hose and clamps in a fuel line splice. I plan to drive the car (307 engine) auto 4 speed, about285 miles trip. WOULD ANYONE KNOW POSSIBLY THE GAS MILIAGE I MIGHT GET FOR THE TRIP? I AM TRYING TO FIGURE OUT HOW MANY GALLONS OF GAS I MAY HAVE TO BUY?
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: NEW CARB FOR MY 307 I INSTALLED   NEW CARB FOR MY 307 I INSTALLED EmptyFri Nov 27, 2015 5:14 pm

I'll take a wild guess for you based on another V8 powered Buick. I just pulled a car trailer with my 1973 Buick LeSabre 400 miles loaded and 400 miles with an empty trailer and averaged 10 MPG for the trip. That car has a heavily modified 455. Hopefully the 307 gets better gas milage than the 455, so a good guess is 15 MPG. If you get 15 MPG, you would use 20 gallons to go 300 miles (300/15=20). If it's running poorly for other reasons, you may get worse milage. If you get 10 MPG, you would use 30 gallons.
Back to top Go down
randall729
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: NEW CARB FOR MY 307 I INSTALLED   NEW CARB FOR MY 307 I INSTALLED EmptyFri Nov 27, 2015 8:10 pm

15 MPG seems about right. Hoping for better with new carb.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NEW CARB FOR MY 307 I INSTALLED   NEW CARB FOR MY 307 I INSTALLED Empty

Back to top Go down

NEW CARB FOR MY 307 I INSTALLED
Page 1 of 1