Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Engine Oil - What type and change intervals?

Go down 
+58
95rivy
florence_x
Sweepspear
DEMonte1997
Eldo
LARRY70GS
robotennis61
KillaKeninaRiv
Abaddon
TheNewEra95
97rivsc
EASHER
zombiesarebad
Ironclad-454
98RiviSC
duster_do_little
Rickw
riviera2454
IBx1
1wickedninja
96rivgirlla
dreww
manofmany
TonySmooth89
captshiner
albertj
deekster_caddy
dboy
Buapo
98RIV7777
97rivman
ibmoses
Jason
Jack the R
GothicVash
SpaceBar
1998 Riv
palermocorey90
99Rivman
HirohataMerc
sburch23
dan
TType_Riviera
SilveR
turtleman
urbsnspices
racinfan
lionfish
SilverArrow102
SoCal Riv
robertwolf86
T Riley
97Ultra
NO 4 EVR
Mr.Riviera
AA
62 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

FAQ: Engine Oil - What type and change intervals? - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine Oil - What type and change intervals?   FAQ: Engine Oil - What type and change intervals? - Page 9 EmptySun Mar 21, 2010 12:26 am

1998 Riv wrote:
Rickw wrote:
Then why use Synthetic that you have to change every 3500 miles.?

I find the engine turns over more easily in winter temps with synth oil. I see winter morning temps in the minus 30's at times. And it sits outside at work all day.

This makes a *lot* of sense. I get it. DIno oil is pretty thick stuff at -30F.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine Oil - What type and change intervals?   FAQ: Engine Oil - What type and change intervals? - Page 9 EmptySun Mar 21, 2010 1:07 am

Even in small doses, coolant will prematurely wear all the engine bearings.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine Oil - What type and change intervals?   FAQ: Engine Oil - What type and change intervals? - Page 9 EmptySun Mar 21, 2010 3:35 pm

I agree, anything more than 0% on a lab report requires attention.

Albert,
Thank you for the link to the site. It is very interesting and enjoyed it. (Not done reading everything yet, lot's of good stuff)
Do you know if these guys are still producing any info or Data.? The last entry I saw was 2004 or 2006, something like that.
Very good individual analysis though, was just wondering if you knew these guys or know what happened to them.?

From what I have read, it has helped in validating my switch to Synthetic oil (Mobil 1) and has educated me on the need to possibly only change the oil filter in between oil changes. I think I will go with an annual oil change, based on the amount of miles I drive annually and their reports.
I will still send Blackstone 2 samples per year though. Just to keep my own database.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine Oil - What type and change intervals?   FAQ: Engine Oil - What type and change intervals? - Page 9 EmptySun Mar 21, 2010 6:33 pm

albertj wrote:
1998 Riv wrote:
Rickw wrote:

I find the engine turns over more easily in winter temps with synth oil. I see winter morning temps in the minus 30's at times. And it sits outside at work all day.

Albertj

I disagree with this in theory. 5w30 is 5w30 whether it's synthetic or dino. If it's so cold you run 0w30 or 0w20 or whatever, the viscosity is the same whether synthetic or not. If the viscosity wasn't 5w30 they can't put 5w30 on the label. But I don't live in Minnesota, so I can't vouch for experience. I find it hard to believe it's anything more than a slight perception though.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine Oil - What type and change intervals?   FAQ: Engine Oil - What type and change intervals? - Page 9 EmptySun Mar 21, 2010 7:24 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:
albertj wrote:
1998 Riv wrote:
Rickw wrote:

Albertj

I disagree with this in theory. 5w30 is 5w30 whether it's synthetic or dino. If it's so cold you run 0w30 or 0w20 or whatever, the viscosity is the same whether synthetic or not. If the viscosity wasn't 5w30 they can't put 5w30 on the label. But I don't live in Minnesota, so I can't vouch for experience. I find it hard to believe it's anything more than a slight perception though.

Ask Dave.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine Oil - What type and change intervals?   FAQ: Engine Oil - What type and change intervals? - Page 9 EmptySun Mar 21, 2010 9:36 pm

It's not a slight perception. It's my ears listening to the engine turn over. The difference was easily detectible. I hadn't been a synth oil user until the past few years. Started using it in the Riv and now it's in the 05 T&C also. Both engines crank easily regardless of how cold it is. Wasn't the case before I switched.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine Oil - What type and change intervals?   FAQ: Engine Oil - What type and change intervals? - Page 9 EmptySun Mar 21, 2010 10:30 pm

1998 Riv wrote:
It's not a slight perception. It's my ears listening to the engine turn over. The difference was easily detectible. I hadn't been a synth oil user until the past few years. Started using it in the Riv and now it's in the 05 T&C also. Both engines crank easily regardless of how cold it is. Wasn't the case before I switched.

My wild guess is the natural oil is gelling at the low temperatures, and the PAO synthetic (Mobil1) does not, at least not as much. It's more of a problem with diesel fuel for instance. A different synthetic made from a natural base oil (IIRC Mobil1 is made from natural gas) probably gels too.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine Oil - What type and change intervals?   FAQ: Engine Oil - What type and change intervals? - Page 9 EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 12:31 am

This thread makes my head hurt.... Really. So a lot of people are throwing out different grades of motor oil to say they are preserving their motors longer. Do we not all have mostly L36 and L67s on this site? I've been putting 10W-30 oil in my Regal (same damn motor) for 70,000 miles with no issue now. headshot I assume the motor in my Riv (L67 again) is pretty much identical and I'm guessing the previous owner threw the same 10W-30 dino oil I've been putting in for the past however many miles. neutral frown I'm all for being meticulous with car maintenance across the board but feel this could be beating some kind of dead animal with a blunt object. nervous
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine Oil - What type and change intervals?   FAQ: Engine Oil - What type and change intervals? - Page 9 EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 12:45 am

DEMonte1997 wrote:
This thread makes my head hurt.... Really. So a lot of people are throwing out different grades of motor oil to say they are preserving their motors longer. Do we not all have mostly L36 and L67s on this site? I've been putting 10W-30 oil in my Regal (same damn motor) for 70,000 miles with no issue now. headshot I assume the motor in my Riv (L67 again) is pretty much identical and I'm guessing the previous owner threw the same 10W-30 dino oil I've been putting in for the past however many miles. neutral frown I'm all for being meticulous with car maintenance across the board but feel this could be beating some kind of dead animal with a blunt object. nervous
Question is, will the beatings continue until the subject gets better/morale improves/the last vestige of consciousness slips off into oblivion...

Albertj
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine Oil - What type and change intervals?   FAQ: Engine Oil - What type and change intervals? - Page 9 EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 1:05 am

Albert-You have too many options in your post. smile The post may not be helpful to 3800 bearings. smile razz
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine Oil - What type and change intervals?   FAQ: Engine Oil - What type and change intervals? - Page 9 EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 2:08 am

Gotta admit, I really get tired of seeing new threads on various boards repeatedly asking about what oil to use... I don't think anyone would be making a mistake if they simply stayed close to the mfgr recommendations, synth or not.
Back to top Go down
Sweepspear
Fanatic
Sweepspear

Name : Dale
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine Oil - What type and change intervals?   FAQ: Engine Oil - What type and change intervals? - Page 9 EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 9:42 am

I buy the least expensive properly rated oil I can.
Always have, and I have never had any problems because of it.
The money is better spent on a good filter.

In the case of our cars, they are old enough now that even the cheapest oils have ratings that supercede what was the latest and greatest when they were new.

I'm sure synthetics are awsome, but I can't justify to myself spending that much money on an oil change.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine Oil - What type and change intervals?   FAQ: Engine Oil - What type and change intervals? - Page 9 EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 10:08 am

1998 Riv wrote:
Gotta admit, I really get tired of seeing new threads on various boards repeatedly asking about what oil to use... I don't think anyone would be making a mistake if they simply stayed close to the mfgr recommendations, synth or not.

makes sense. Probably gets so much thread time because it's something most people can do, it's heavily advertised, and most likely people with even a marginal idea of what's going on feel as if they are expert, or at least "right" in their choice whatever it is.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine Oil - What type and change intervals?   FAQ: Engine Oil - What type and change intervals? - Page 9 EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 10:17 am

Agreed, and oil has such a "mystique" quality that's very hard to prove with quantitative data. For example, I have 199k miles on my Rivera, have used Valvoline 10-30W conventional every 3k miles since 24.5k miles. My engine runs strong.

I could say Valvoline conventional is the best choice since I've demonstrated a proven track-record, but synthetic advocates would say otherwise. And it's entirely possible a generic brand could also work fine. There's no way to know for sure, so my feeling is (stated repeatedly throughout this thread), frequent changes with "good" oil are better than infrequent changes with "great" oil. It's the low mileage between oil changes that lets me sleep easy at night knowing the oil is clean, and the filter is fresh.

I use the same rule with spark plugs. Oil and plugs are so cheap, I don't understand why there is a desire to extend the life of these items. When changed, examining these parts can tell you a lot about what's happening in your engine - unless you eliminate the opportunity to check them!

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine Oil - What type and change intervals?   FAQ: Engine Oil - What type and change intervals? - Page 9 EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 12:02 pm

I agree with AA. I change my oil actually less than 3,000 miles (cause I can). The kind of oil I use depends on what I have available (dino 5w-30 or Syn 5w-30). When I acquired enough left over synthetic (I'd save the 1/2 quarts left over from ppls oil chngs) I'd use that. Otherwise I just used the stuff we had bulk (Valvoline I believe).
As for spark plugs, most of us are usin AutoLite 104's (copper), and I notice that I can burn em up fairly well in about 10,000 miles, so I change em once a year. It's less than $15 and takes me about 15 minutes to change em all.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine Oil - What type and change intervals?   FAQ: Engine Oil - What type and change intervals? - Page 9 EmptyTue May 11, 2010 1:19 pm

from: https://rivperformance.editboard.com/audio-electronics-f7/electrical-issues-t7156.htm#109305

robotennis61 wrote:
ata girl! don't let the naysayers nay say
a well maintained riv can go 200 odo,before it needs attention. a new motor might breath new life in the old girl ...my plan somtime in the future

I have over 200K on mine - have done synthetic oil changes - have **no** signs that I will need a new motor anytime soon. I probably should do a leakdown test to understand that better - but as it is things look fine.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
florence_x
Enthusiast
florence_x

Name : Florence
Merit : 21

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine Oil - What type and change intervals?   FAQ: Engine Oil - What type and change intervals? - Page 9 EmptyTue May 11, 2010 1:22 pm

albertj wrote:
robotennis61 wrote:
ata girl! don't let the naysayers nay say
a well maintained riv can go 200 odo,before it needs attention. a new motor might breath new life in the old girl ...my plan somtime in the future

I have over 200K on mine - have done synthetic oil changes - have **no** signs that I will need a new motor anytime soon. I probably should do a leakdown test to understand that better - but as it is things look fine.

Albertj

Well that's a good sign for sure! I'm about to hit 172k miles, probably within the next few weekends.

Currently I'm using a 5W30 semi-synthetic oil (Castrol High Mileage, I think), and I'm going to get a change tomorrow. Tune-up is this weekend. I'm reading TONS of horror stories online though about power flushing (engine failure afterwards?!)... but I really do think my car needs it. What's your opinion, Albert?
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine Oil - What type and change intervals?   FAQ: Engine Oil - What type and change intervals? - Page 9 EmptyTue May 11, 2010 7:44 pm

What are you going to flush? The crankcase? I would not recommend it. What makes you think it needs to be flushed?
Back to top Go down
florence_x
Enthusiast
florence_x

Name : Florence
Merit : 21

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine Oil - What type and change intervals?   FAQ: Engine Oil - What type and change intervals? - Page 9 EmptyWed May 12, 2010 8:13 am

deekster_caddy wrote:
What are you going to flush? The crankcase? I would not recommend it. What makes you think it needs to be flushed?

Yeah, the crankcase. I'm sure the engine (inside) is probably filthy. I'm not sure when the last time my dad (previous owner) had the oil changed on it before I took over the title, especially since there were battery issues prior to my owning her. And I doubt it's ever been seriously cleaned on its inside parts since he bought her so many years ago.

Basically, I just want to start taking better care of the car, especially now that she is getting up there in mileage. I really think a thorough cleaning would help her perform better, though she runs fine as it is.

I'm assuming the "flush" is something similar to like a Seafoam product, that I would only need to do once every 10k miles or so? Unless I'm totally confusing what everyone here means by a flush during the oil change.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine Oil - What type and change intervals?   FAQ: Engine Oil - What type and change intervals? - Page 9 EmptyWed May 12, 2010 2:56 pm

Yeah, pretty much it's an additive you use for a few minutes before changing the oil. The concern is that it dislodges some crap that eventually clogs somewhere more important, like a lifter galley. I had that happen to me on the one 3800 I flushed out - a week later one of the lifters started clattering like mad - a few days later it went away on it's own but in the interim I was expecting a catastrophic failure.

Just change the oil more frequently, use a good oil and don't worry about flushing it.

The reason I flushed the one engine was because it had shot intake manifold gaskets and coolant sludge was everywhere I looked inside. After replacing the intake gaskets I did the flush, then I had a lifter clacking...
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine Oil - What type and change intervals?   FAQ: Engine Oil - What type and change intervals? - Page 9 EmptyThu May 13, 2010 2:03 am

I had a shop-class teacher who warned us against aggressive cleaners in the oil...

I don't remember the details now, but it was basically a Pontiac 400 that was just fine until someone decided to 'clean' it. Then it was a wreck. All the junk went where you didn't want it to go...

I have only recently tried a little Seafoam in my crank and my tank (hey, it rhymes!) I was mainly worried about condensation in the gas tank while storing the '69 Wildcat, but I figured a little bit in the (fresh) oil couldn't hurt.

As far as my Rivi, I like to think I'm still being conservative when I buy 7500-mile syn-blend oil and change it at 5,000. Or buy 15,000-mile full-synthentic and change it at 10,000... (I wouldn't let the filter go that long, though, even though I've gone to the longer, more-square-inches WIX filters...
Back to top Go down
95rivy
Enthusiast
95rivy

Name : curt
Merit : 3

PostSubject: royal purple   FAQ: Engine Oil - What type and change intervals? - Page 9 EmptySat Jun 12, 2010 9:58 am

Hey guys i was wondering has any one ever used royal purple in the riv? I saw some good reviews on the stuff and it does work. But i also saw that higher milage motors will burn through it between oil changes. i dont mind spending the money on the product but i dont to have to add 2 qts between oil changes.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine Oil - What type and change intervals?   FAQ: Engine Oil - What type and change intervals? - Page 9 EmptySat Jun 12, 2010 10:32 am

95rivy wrote:
Hey guys i was wondering has any one ever used royal purple in the riv? I saw some good reviews on the stuff and it does work. But i also saw that higher milage motors will burn through it between oil changes. i dont mind spending the money on the product but i dont to have to add 2 qts between oil changes.

If your seals are not leaking, OK, but Mobil 1 that you get from WalMart for under $30/5 quarts and don't have to change for 7500 - 10000 miles is a better value IMHO.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Hometown Hero
Junkie
Hometown Hero

Name : Klix
Merit : 16

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine Oil - What type and change intervals?   FAQ: Engine Oil - What type and change intervals? - Page 9 EmptySat Jun 12, 2010 10:57 am

I sell Royal Purple here,its about $1 cheaper per litre than Castrol Syntec. I run Castrol Syntec and don't think I'll be switching over anytime soon.

The way I see it... Castrol has been making oils/lubricants the right way for a very, very long time now. How long has oil been synonymus with the name Royal purple? Maybe 10 years or so, and early on it was mainly exclusive to the drag racing scene.

I'll stick to the tried and true in my Riv for now. I will prolly run Royal in the Javelin when I get the 360 finished and in.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine Oil - What type and change intervals?   FAQ: Engine Oil - What type and change intervals? - Page 9 EmptySat Jun 12, 2010 11:41 am

I use Amsoil 5W/30 in my Riviera. No problems with burning or leaking oil at 128K

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine Oil - What type and change intervals?   FAQ: Engine Oil - What type and change intervals? - Page 9 Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Engine Oil - What type and change intervals?
Page 9 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next