Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Stuck Accelerator and Other New Problems

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
myersty
Special

Name : Tyler
Merit : 0

Stuck Accelerator and Other New Problems Empty
PostSubject: Stuck Accelerator and Other New Problems   Stuck Accelerator and Other New Problems EmptySat Jun 18, 2016 12:55 pm

The other day after gassing the Riviera, the accelerator stuck at about 4000 RPM. I had to use the emergency breaks and eventually just shift the car to park at about 5 miles per hour. Shortly after restarting the car, the accelerator returned to normal and I was able to drive home. When starting the car now, the engine idles but when pressing the RPM reaches roughly 3000 RPM a loud wawa noise is made. The muffler vibrates excessively while the noise is made. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Back to top Go down
1997riv
Enthusiast

Name :
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Stuck Accelerator and Other New Problems   Stuck Accelerator and Other New Problems EmptySat Jun 18, 2016 9:54 pm

Why didn't you just put it into neutral, shut if off, and use the normal brakes to stop it?  The throttle on these cars is cable and not drive by wire, so there would have to be something physically affecting the cable or throttle body.  The rev limiter in my Riviera only lets you rev to around 3000rpm (if I remember correctly) in park and then revs up and down, which sounds like what you are describing.  In neutral it will rev very high before it rev limits. And yes, even the stock exhaust sounds pretty sick nasty when bouncing off the rev limiter razz .
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Stuck Accelerator and Other New Problems   Stuck Accelerator and Other New Problems EmptyMon Jun 20, 2016 9:28 am

The only way the accelerator cable could get bound up or stuck is if it's physically corroded on the inside. I'd disconnect the throttle cable from the throttle body and see if it moves freely. If it doesn't, you could try and spray some penetrating lube into the tube until it frees up.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Stuck Accelerator and Other New Problems   Stuck Accelerator and Other New Problems EmptyMon Jun 20, 2016 12:09 pm

myersty wrote:
The other day after gassing the Riviera, the accelerator stuck at about 4000 RPM. I had to use the emergency breaks and eventually just shift the car to park at about 5 miles per hour. Shortly after restarting the car, the accelerator returned to normal and I was able to drive home. When starting the car now, the engine idles but when pressing the RPM reaches roughly 3000 RPM a loud wawa noise is made. The muffler vibrates excessively while the noise is made. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Starting from the throttle body check the throttle and cruise control cables. Also consider disconnecting the cruise control servo cable from the drum on the throttle body, and pulling the fuse until you can test that system. You will need the factory service manual for the cruise stuff, checking the throttle cable is mostly old-school troubleshooting. Also eliminate the possibility that the gas pedal got caught in one of your floor mats.
Back to top Go down
makemann1
makemann1

Name : Max
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: Stuck Accelerator and Other New Problems   Stuck Accelerator and Other New Problems EmptySat Oct 29, 2016 11:27 pm

I mashed on the accelerator to pass the texting driver in front of me and the throttle stuck wide open. Had to put it in neutral, braked to slow down and turned key off. It was dark in the morning, so I couldn't see it clearly, but it looked like the cable was hung up. Is there anything it could possibly be hung up on? Or do you think it just needs some lubrication?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Stuck Accelerator and Other New Problems   Stuck Accelerator and Other New Problems EmptyMon Oct 31, 2016 11:35 am

makemann1 wrote:
I mashed on the accelerator to pass the texting driver in front of me and the throttle stuck wide open. Had to put it in neutral, braked to slow down and turned key off. It was dark in the morning, so I couldn't see it clearly, but it looked like the cable was hung up. Is there anything it could possibly be hung up on? Or do you think it just needs some lubrication?

Either, neither or both -- fix it ASAP.
Back to top Go down
makemann1
makemann1

Name : Max
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: Stuck Accelerator and Other New Problems   Stuck Accelerator and Other New Problems EmptyThu Dec 22, 2016 1:17 pm

albertj wrote:

makemann1 wrote:

Either, neither or both -- fix it ASAP.

For record, I took it in and had the problem fixed. From the service invoice: "TRANS SHIFT CABLE STUCK IN. REROUTED TRANS SHIFT CABLE."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stuck Accelerator and Other New Problems   Stuck Accelerator and Other New Problems Empty

Back to top Go down

Stuck Accelerator and Other New Problems
Page 1 of 1