Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

LED lighting

Go down 
+5
LARRY70GS
R1V 1T UP
1997riv
jbird
albertj
9 posters
AuthorMessage
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

LED lighting Empty
PostSubject: LED lighting   LED lighting EmptyWed Aug 24, 2016 12:58 am

LED lighting for our '95-'99 Rivs may be of interest to some.  I've been tinkering with it, thought I'd post a couple observations.

The replacements for incandescent are getting better.

There are some things about the way the Riv is wired that defy using them.

Any interest in more?
Back to top Go down
jbird
Fanatic
jbird

Name : Jeff
Merit : 7

LED lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED lighting   LED lighting EmptyWed Aug 24, 2016 3:59 pm

I have them in my license plate light and my backup lights.
I like the look on the plate nice modern hue.
The backups are crazy bright really like them. I have read others comments that the interior lights flash because of the " fade out ".

So, What have you found?

Jbird
Back to top Go down
1997riv
Enthusiast

Name :
Merit : 0

LED lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED lighting   LED lighting EmptyWed Aug 24, 2016 5:04 pm

If you put led 9005 high beam bulbs in how does that work with the drl's?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

LED lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED lighting   LED lighting EmptyWed Aug 24, 2016 5:45 pm

jbird wrote:
I have them in my license plate light and my backup lights.
I like the look on the plate nice modern hue.
The backups are crazy bright really like them. I have read others comments that the interior lights flash because of the " fade out ".

So, What have you found?

Jbird

I found, so far, there are issues but not so much that you'd rule LEDs out.

Regarding the interior lights, not all the LEDs do the flash thing; I got some 194 replacements that do not flash at fadeout, however they do not work properly in all locations. In the dome/map light for instance the 168/194-replacement LEDs that are polarized can be installed so they work with the doors or work with the switches -- not both. I imagine the ones that are not polarized might be the ones that flash. Have not tried those, really.

I put a set of the white polarized 168/194's in as taillights (the center of each side of the tail lights. They look and work fine. I have not tried any LEDs in the turn/brake positions yet, or any other places.

I suspect they will work fine as backup lights, and also in the (white) cornering lights.

I am thinking of putting LEDs in the inboard side of the turn/stop lights and also in the CHMSL. I put one in for license plate light and it is OK; however my reflector is compromised. It would work better with a good reflector. I have not decided what to do about that.

I had already wired some Oznium LED units (they are encapsulated) in the trunk to supplement the light in the trunk lid. I put them just under the trailing edge of the package shelf, and they light up the forward portion of the trunk very well. I used an LED replacement for the regular trunk light (a 12-chip 211) so the lighting colors would match. I am VERY happy with the results, you can see everything in the trunk now, day or night.

I have some ideas how to fix the interior lighting, basically wiring a couple bridge rectifiers onto the lighting fixture so that the LED lights will come on no matter the current direction. They are cheap ($0.50 or less each). LEDs do not draw much at all so these (http://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-KBP307-Bridge-Rectifier-Flat-Bridge-KBP307-3A-700V-/201322794464?hash=item2edfc60de0:g:b3cAAOSwstxVDQbE) would work fine. You could wire one up on the back of each fixture that has to take voltage 2 ways; you'd have to figure out which fixtures those are. Alternatively you could make your own rectifiers out of IN4002s or better, you're talking about $2 or less for all the diodes you'd need (not incl shipping) but a lot of people can get those surplus even cheaper than eBay rectifiers.

On the exterior the problem lights would be, for instance, getting the turn signals to flash correctly while the headlights are on (polarity issue) and the fact that the LEDs still have to get rid of heat if they are constant on--they will self destruct if they get too hot, or wet.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

LED lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED lighting   LED lighting EmptyWed Aug 24, 2016 5:53 pm

stydel311 wrote:

Your issue will be that the DRLs work by shunting a resistor in series with the headlights. That decreases their brightness. That approach wont work with the LEDs, because the forward voltage cutoff is so sharp. To dim LEDs right, you probably should wire in a "chopper" to send DC pulses to the lights. By changing the duty cycle you change the perception of brightness of the lights. The fewer pulses per second, the dimmer they will look. By the way, that's how the interior "theatre lighting" dimmer works. The lighting module sends shorter and shorter pulses of DC to the lights. That last flash of the LEDs is the last pulse that it sends for that final glow. Some replacement 12v LED "bulbs" have circuitry that buffers such pulses and most do not. Not sure how to tell without ordering and testing -- which is vexing.

Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

LED lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED lighting   LED lighting EmptyWed Aug 24, 2016 6:11 pm

I am thinking one reason to use LED lighting would be to add functional lights, such as to illuminate the cupholders and the front/rear passenger footwells in parallel with the instrument lights. superbrightleds.com has LEDs that are warm white (like theincandescents) instead of bright white (like daylight) that might look better for some colors of interior. For instance, the Toreador Red looks like a maroon/purple under LEDs.
Back to top Go down
jbird
Fanatic
jbird

Name : Jeff
Merit : 7

LED lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED lighting   LED lighting EmptyWed Aug 24, 2016 7:25 pm

Albert
Looks like you've really been digging into it.
I have also wanted to supplement my trunk lightning, that is good to move some light forward.

However I haven't wanted to try LEDs in the taillight I really think our reflector/lens looks almost jewel like lit up.
I don't want to mess with it. I did make the middle light a brake and turn tho, it just looks right to have all three do the same functions IMO.
I'd like to see What you come up with for lighting the cupholder, I have thought that would be a good thing to do myself.

Jbird
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

LED lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED lighting   LED lighting EmptyWed Aug 24, 2016 10:56 pm

jbird wrote:
Albert
Looks like you've really been digging into it.
I have also wanted to supplement my trunk lightning, that is good to move some light forward.

However I haven't wanted to try LEDs in the taillight I really think our reflector/lens looks almost jewel like lit up.
I don't want to mess with it. I did make the middle light a brake and turn tho, it just looks right to have all three do the same functions IMO.
I'd like to see What you come up with for lighting the cupholder, I have thought that would be a good thing to do myself.

Jbird

About the cupholder: there is a 12v LED with wire leads, green, that pretty much directly replaces the lights that go inside the door pulls. It is intended for panel installation. I bought 4 of them from DigiKey. I have installed one in the power point on the passenger side of the center console so that it's lit at night. Gives a nice glow. . You can find the power point easily but it does not look like there is a party going on in there. I am thinking of using 1 or 2 of those lights in the cupholder. At the back edge (near the console) there is kind of a cutout. I am thinking the lights go there... problem is I have to pull the console to get them in and wired, to drill the small holes they actually would install into.

About the taillights: depends on how you do it. I find that the white LEDs are OK even mixed with regular bulbs but the red LEDs look better, actually, than either the white LEDs or the standard incandescents. Except the Sylvanias. Electrically the Sylvania DOT spec LEDs are probably the best, but they are side-firing lights. So they cast a cat's-eye shadow in the center of the lens on the part of the taillight assembly they are installed in. It is not a sharp shadow, some people won't notice it. As for me, I will move those lights to my other car (it has reflector in middle of the lens so the shadow won't matter) and try a different LED for the Riv, one of the high brightness ones with combined side firing and rear firing chips... I also think I will get red LEDs to replace the white 194-replacements I put in for the tail lights.
Back to top Go down
R1V 1T UP
Enthusiast
R1V 1T UP

Name : Timothy

LED lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED lighting   LED lighting EmptySun Oct 13, 2019 10:51 pm

Been thinking about custom light projects for my Riv. Thankfully, my previous Riv has supplied me with a spare set of headlights and a tail light assembly to experiment with.

I'm curious about LED mods and wonder if anyone here has opened up either the headlights or tail light assembly. If so, how did you disassemble them? It looks like metal clips hold the tail assembly together and glue for the headlights.

Back to top Go down
http://livinthedream1.bandcamp.com
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

LED lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED lighting   LED lighting EmptyMon Oct 14, 2019 10:44 am

I used these in the door handles. Used the green ones, looks great and lights the area much better,

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NAHYUBD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
nickwon

Name : Nick

LED lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED lighting   LED lighting EmptyTue Jan 14, 2020 12:19 am

LARRY70GS wrote:
I used these in the door handles.  Used the green ones, looks great and lights the area much better,

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NAHYUBD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The price seems good. How's their quality/performance so far?
Back to top Go down
mrbigron2u
Special

Name : Ron Smith

LED lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED lighting   LED lighting EmptyTue Jan 14, 2020 12:22 pm

I used the same lights (blue version) in mine and that was mid november. Not an issue since installation.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

LED lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED lighting   LED lighting EmptyTue Jan 14, 2020 3:45 pm

nickwon wrote:
LARRY70GS wrote:
I used these in the door handles.  Used the green ones, looks great and lights the area much better,

The price seems good. How's their quality/performance so far?

Excellent.  They really illuminate the area much better than the stock bulbs.  LED bulbs last a good long time.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dN1grXuq385aS5YA7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7ScnrENBg8sCSL3P9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
LaFlare

Name : G
Merit : 2

LED lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED lighting   LED lighting EmptySun Mar 12, 2023 1:58 pm

albertj wrote:
stydel311 wrote:

Your issue will be that the DRLs work by shunting a resistor in series with the headlights.  That decreases their brightness.  That approach wont work with the LEDs, because the forward voltage cutoff is so sharp.  To  dim LEDs right, you probably should wire in a "chopper" to send DC pulses to the lights.  By changing the duty cycle you change the perception of brightness of the lights. The fewer pulses per second, the dimmer they will look.  By the way, that's how the interior "theatre lighting" dimmer works. The lighting module sends shorter and shorter pulses of DC to the lights.  That last flash of the LEDs is the last pulse that it sends for that final glow.  Some replacement 12v LED "bulbs" have circuitry that buffers such pulses and most do not. Not sure how to tell without ordering and testing -- which is vexing.

Has anyone had any up to date experience with successfully doing this? Or replacing all Riv lights with LEDs?

I changed all lights on my Riv to LEDs, but then realized later my DRLs don't work anymore. Which, isn't a big deal, but I'd like to have it working as it should.

I'm still trying to read and further learn on which route would be the way to go.. after replacing the 9005 to LEDs; the drls simply don't turn on at all. Most i read online are other vehicles having their 9005s flicker with the new LEDs acting as the DRL, but mine don't flicker at all, just simply don't turn on or function anymore whatsoever...

Last edited by LaFlare on Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

Name : Brian Cohen
Merit : 8

LED lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED lighting   LED lighting EmptyTue Mar 14, 2023 6:45 pm

I have LED's and my drl's don't work. LED's can't partially light up. They also don't draw nearly enough current as incandescent bulbs. Most of the time my headlights are on anyway even in the daytime due to an old photosensor. The tradeoff is worth it, they are quite bright.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

LED lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED lighting   LED lighting Empty

Back to top Go down

LED lighting
Page 1 of 1