Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Fixing HVAC Climate Control Lighting

Go down 
+32
Mr.Riviera
LARRY70GS
Abaddon
J. Chris Davis
97 park ave
VJD2
Lostal21
Eldo
superivicharg
Snowdog
Rickw
DEMonte1997
98RIV7777
#1BearsFan
captshiner
ewolfe0050
'96reese
albertj
LAST1987GN
AA
nothincame2mind
deekster_caddy
Shintsu
99Rivman
T Riley
96RIVMANN
ZEP
sburch23
SilverArrow102
racinfan
turtleman
pwmin
36 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
pwmin
Enthusiast
pwmin

Name : Paul
Merit : 6

Write-Up: Fixing HVAC Climate Control Lighting Empty
PostSubject: Write-Up: Fixing HVAC Climate Control Lighting   Write-Up: Fixing HVAC Climate Control Lighting EmptyThu Jan 25, 2007 2:35 pm

the lights on my climate control were dimming, so i followed a writeup on regalgs.org of how to fix it. since it was for a regal, it was somewhat different than mine, so im going to do a writeup of what i did. this is the best of my recollection since its been a while. HTH

first, you remove the front display by lifting up on the tabs seen at the top of the picture and pulling the display down.
Write-Up: Fixing HVAC Climate Control Lighting DSCF0576

this exposes the board you need to remove. second, take the plug out by GENTLY pulling up. it should easily come out. next, lift up the tabs seen on the bottom of the second pick and pull the board out.
Write-Up: Fixing HVAC Climate Control Lighting DSCF0577
Write-Up: Fixing HVAC Climate Control Lighting DSCF0578

the next picture shows the brown resistors that are the problem (these are the main difference between the regal and riviera climate controls). you need to resolder the joints on the other side (seen in the second pic below). all i did was reheated the solder and it worked fine. next, put it back together and if all goes well, no more dimming problem.
Write-Up: Fixing HVAC Climate Control Lighting DSCF0579
Write-Up: Fixing HVAC Climate Control Lighting DSCF0580

Last edited by on Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fixing HVAC Climate Control Lighting   Write-Up: Fixing HVAC Climate Control Lighting EmptyMon Mar 12, 2007 11:49 pm

pwmin wrote:
the lights on my climate control were dimming, so i followed a writeup on regalgs.org of how to fix it. since it was for a regal, it was somewhat different than mine, so im going to do a writeup of what i did. this is the best of my recollection since its been a while. HTH

first, you remove the front display by lifting up on the tabs seen at the top of the picture and pulling the display down.
Write-Up: Fixing HVAC Climate Control Lighting DSCF0576

this exposes the board you need to remove. second, take the plug out by GENTLY pulling up. it should easily come out. next, lift up the tabs seen on the bottom of the second pick and pull the board out.
Write-Up: Fixing HVAC Climate Control Lighting DSCF0577
Write-Up: Fixing HVAC Climate Control Lighting DSCF0578

the next picture shows the brown resistors that are the problem (these are the main difference between the regal and riviera climate controls). you need to resolder the joints on the other side (seen in the second pic below). all i did was reheated the solder and it worked fine. next, put it back together and if all goes well, no more dimming problem.
Write-Up: Fixing HVAC Climate Control Lighting DSCF0579
Write-Up: Fixing HVAC Climate Control Lighting DSCF0580

thumbsup I just did that and it indeed fixed the problem of the dimming display but i still have the issue with zero button illumination. Any known fixes?
I guess this is a pretty common problem among gm's in general
Back to top Go down
racinfan
Addict
racinfan

Name : Joe
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fixing HVAC Climate Control Lighting   Write-Up: Fixing HVAC Climate Control Lighting EmptyTue Mar 13, 2007 12:04 am

Your pictures are a bit dim right now...
Back to top Go down
SilverArrow102
SilverArrow102

Name : John
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fixing HVAC Climate Control Lighting   Write-Up: Fixing HVAC Climate Control Lighting EmptyTue Mar 13, 2007 6:57 am

Write-Up: Fixing HVAC Climate Control Lighting StrangeRedX
Back to top Go down
http://home.kc.rr.com/mirage/
pwmin
Enthusiast
pwmin

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fixing HVAC Climate Control Lighting   Write-Up: Fixing HVAC Climate Control Lighting EmptyTue Mar 13, 2007 9:57 am

oh, crap, i had to clean up my photobucket and moved them. gotta relink them...sorry
Back to top Go down
sburch23
Addict
sburch23

Name : Scott
Merit : 14

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fixing HVAC Climate Control Lighting   Write-Up: Fixing HVAC Climate Control Lighting EmptyThu Apr 05, 2007 11:08 pm

There is a place on eBay that claims to be able to fix these. I think I searched for "Buick climate control". It may have been in the Store section.

I had seen the post of the Regal GS board but did not have the time, or skill to try it.
Back to top Go down
pwmin
Enthusiast
pwmin

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fixing HVAC Climate Control Lighting   Write-Up: Fixing HVAC Climate Control Lighting EmptyMon Apr 30, 2007 9:35 pm

finally fixed the links
Back to top Go down
ZEP
Fanatic
ZEP

Name : Zach
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Climate control lighting   Write-Up: Fixing HVAC Climate Control Lighting EmptySat Jan 12, 2008 9:40 am

On the AC contol panel, the one above the radio, I've got two lights that are burned out (the one that lights up the Air Flow switch and the blue light on the Temp switch). I went to the mechanic I usually go to for things like that and he said he'd need to buy a whole new control panel for, like, $400 or so. Needless to say, I'm not interested in buying one.

I'm interested to know, though, if those lights can possibly be replaced without having to replace the whole assembly. I was thinking of putting some blue LEDs in where the orange lights are now anyway, but has anyone got any experience with replacing the old bulbs with new ones? How would one go about doing something like that?

Thanks for your time everyone, and sorry for the questions.
Back to top Go down
96RIVMANN
Fanatic
96RIVMANN

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fixing HVAC Climate Control Lighting   Write-Up: Fixing HVAC Climate Control Lighting EmptySat Jan 12, 2008 9:50 am

You have to pull the dash panel off to get at the HVAC control. Once you get it out you can go to radio shack and buy part# 272-1092 bulbs. I just did this on my control and they worked great. The orange lights in the control are 3mm led's. The hardest part is getting the dash apart. Just look up radio removal in the search and you should come up with the procedure on how to get the dash apart.
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fixing HVAC Climate Control Lighting   Write-Up: Fixing HVAC Climate Control Lighting EmptySat Jan 12, 2008 12:05 pm

96RIVMANN wrote:
You have to pull the dash panel off to get at the HVAC control. Once you get it out you can go to radio shack and buy part# 272-1092 bulbs. I just did this on my control and they worked great. The orange lights in the control are 3mm led's. The hardest part is getting the dash apart. Just look up radio removal in the search and you should come up with the procedure on how to get the dash apart.

are the bottons clear??? so if anyone WAS to change the color would it be the true color or is there a filiment to make any light show orange??? JW??
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
96RIVMANN
Fanatic
96RIVMANN

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fixing HVAC Climate Control Lighting   Write-Up: Fixing HVAC Climate Control Lighting EmptySat Jan 12, 2008 1:49 pm

They are indeed clear. I installed a 3mm green led in the auto button and a red one in the off button. Not sure if you can get the leds at radio shack I had them lying around at work.
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 90

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fixing HVAC Climate Control Lighting   Write-Up: Fixing HVAC Climate Control Lighting EmptySat Jan 12, 2008 5:08 pm

Thanks, this is good to know, I have some burned out in my newest one too.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
ZEP
Fanatic
ZEP

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fixing HVAC Climate Control Lighting   Write-Up: Fixing HVAC Climate Control Lighting EmptySat Jan 12, 2008 6:37 pm

Awesome, I'll get to this once I get a couple other things out of the way, but thanks for the help, 96.
Back to top Go down
ZEP
Fanatic
ZEP

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fixing HVAC Climate Control Lighting   Write-Up: Fixing HVAC Climate Control Lighting EmptySat Feb 02, 2008 10:29 pm

Well, I just put a new head unit in and a bunch of the climate control lights went out. So I'll have to take the damn dash off again and investigate this. Is there a particular brand of LED you suggest for replacing the ones already in there, 96RIVMANN?
Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

Name : Shintsu
Merit : -16

PostSubject: Climate control lightbulbs?   Write-Up: Fixing HVAC Climate Control Lighting EmptySat May 03, 2008 3:42 am

Are there lightbulbs behind the climate control buttons (Like the Fan and Air flow buttons or even the Vent, Recirc, etc. buttons)? I've always wondered because if there are mine are burnt out and I hate that I can't see what they say in the dark. I know what they do but it just bugs me because I feel like they should be lit up.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fixing HVAC Climate Control Lighting   Write-Up: Fixing HVAC Climate Control Lighting EmptySat May 03, 2008 3:21 pm

They are LEDs, soldered into the circuit board. I recall that there is a writeup on how to do this, but I can't find it. I think it's on regalgs.org. You need to unsolder the old LEds and solder in some new ones. Not for the noob to the soldering iron...
Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fixing HVAC Climate Control Lighting   Write-Up: Fixing HVAC Climate Control Lighting EmptySat May 03, 2008 4:55 pm

Oh, no no not the little orangish yellow lights like when you push rear defrost, I mean like behind the actual letters that light up the words. They seem like they should've been lit up because someone new to the car would have no idea what's what in the dark.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fixing HVAC Climate Control Lighting   Write-Up: Fixing HVAC Climate Control Lighting EmptySat May 03, 2008 10:28 pm

They are all LEDs. frown
Back to top Go down
nothincame2mind
Aficionado

Name : Ryan
Merit : 20

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fixing HVAC Climate Control Lighting   Write-Up: Fixing HVAC Climate Control Lighting EmptySun May 04, 2008 1:28 am

Can you replace the radio LED's the same way? I have the same problem, Shintsu, but I just ignore it. I want to make most of the LED's blue. I may have a chance to store the Riv and drive something else and dress up the Riv nicely and not have to rely on it for a DD.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fixing HVAC Climate Control Lighting   Write-Up: Fixing HVAC Climate Control Lighting EmptySun May 04, 2008 3:59 pm

Are you sure they're LEDs? They make tiny light bulbs that can be soldered onto boards. The reason I ask, illumination LEDs have a super-long life, they last almost forever.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Shintsu
Expert

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fixing HVAC Climate Control Lighting   Write-Up: Fixing HVAC Climate Control Lighting EmptySun May 04, 2008 4:35 pm

Yeah, that's why I was pretty sure they were bulbs. I think the LEDs would out last the car!
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fixing HVAC Climate Control Lighting   Write-Up: Fixing HVAC Climate Control Lighting EmptySun May 04, 2008 4:55 pm

I was pretty sure they are LEDs and the OEM soldering sucks. I could be wrong though.
Back to top Go down
LAST1987GN
Special

Name : Louie
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Climate Control Illumination Issues   Write-Up: Fixing HVAC Climate Control Lighting EmptyTue Jun 17, 2008 9:58 pm

HI Guys
I have a 97 SC Riviera which I just recently had the A/C charged, since then the control panel appears to dim and nothing works. The fan, blower, A/C or anything, then all of sudden the light gets brighter and everything works and then stops just as fast as it came on. the gas gauge also seems to work intermitting also. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fixing HVAC Climate Control Lighting   Write-Up: Fixing HVAC Climate Control Lighting EmptyWed Jun 18, 2008 10:22 pm

What's your battery voltage during this dimming?

Sounds like your dash might have a bad ground wire somewhere.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fixing HVAC Climate Control Lighting   Write-Up: Fixing HVAC Climate Control Lighting EmptyThu Jun 19, 2008 7:02 am

by the way does anyone know how to replace the light bulbs in the climate control?

?

Albertj

Last edited by albertj on Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fixing HVAC Climate Control Lighting   Write-Up: Fixing HVAC Climate Control Lighting Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Fixing HVAC Climate Control Lighting
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next