Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Battery light, airbag light, trans hung up in high gear, then dead.... Alte

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
14years
Amateur

Name : Dave
Merit : 0

Battery light, airbag light, trans hung up in high gear, then dead.... Alte Empty
PostSubject: Battery light, airbag light, trans hung up in high gear, then dead.... Alte   Battery light, airbag light, trans hung up in high gear, then dead.... Alte EmptyWed Dec 28, 2016 8:39 pm

Was driving along just fine. Then the battery light came on, and I noticed the turn signals were blinking really fast when I toggled them. The the airbag light came on, and the transmission hung up in 3rd or 4th gear and wouldn't downshift except with the shifter. I didn't have a proper volt meter, but my Bluetooth fm thingy reads out voltage when you first plug it in. Car off, battery read about 11 volts. Started again no trouble, ran at 14.4V for a little while before all the dash lights came on again. Voltage then spiked to 17.7. Shut it down, battery read 10.4. Tried to restart later, totally dead. Bad voltage regulator? There's a guy in town who rebuilds alternators.. Thought I'd pull it and let him check it out tomorrow. What do you think?
Thanks
Dave
Back to top Go down
14years
Amateur

Battery light, airbag light, trans hung up in high gear, then dead.... Alte Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery light, airbag light, trans hung up in high gear, then dead.... Alte   Battery light, airbag light, trans hung up in high gear, then dead.... Alte EmptyWed Dec 28, 2016 9:03 pm

Forgot to mention, got in a code scan just before I shut it off the last time.. No codes at all
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Battery light, airbag light, trans hung up in high gear, then dead.... Alte   Battery light, airbag light, trans hung up in high gear, then dead.... Alte EmptyThu Dec 29, 2016 11:28 am

14years wrote:
Was driving along just fine. Then the battery light came on, and I noticed the turn signals were blinking really fast when I toggled them. The the airbag light came on, and the transmission hung up in 3rd or 4th gear and wouldn't downshift except with the shifter. I didn't have a proper volt meter, but my Bluetooth fm thingy reads out voltage when you first plug it in. Car off, battery read about 11 volts. Started again no trouble, ran at 14.4V for a little while before all the dash lights came on again. Voltage then spiked to 17.7. Shut it down, battery read 10.4. Tried to restart later, totally dead. Bad voltage regulator? There's a guy in town who rebuilds alternators.. Thought I'd pull it and let him check it out tomorrow.  What do you think?
Thanks
Dave

Pull up the rear seat and check for a damaged positive battery cable. Also, it sounds like the thermistor may have died. Do a search on this site for "thermistor" to see the posts describing this more fully. The alternator may also be bad but it does not sound like that's the main issue.

Car off, battery should read 12.2 - 12.6v out of circuit. If your battery voltage is pulled down to 10.4 v but the battery is otherwise good, you have a current leak somewhere, or your battery is not charging. First thing I would check is that thermistor and since it is easy pull the alternator and test the battery out of circuit with a proper voltmeter. If the battery is under 12.2v out of circuit, try charging it while you are at the parts store getting that alt tested. IF after a charge your battery is still reading less than 12.2v out-of-circuit you should replace it with a factory spec battery. (the Riv uses a huge battery)

Depending on prior maintenance you could have a bunch of things quit at the same time.

Other thoughts?

Albertj
Back to top Go down
14years
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: Battery light, airbag light, trans hung up in high gear, then dead.... Alte   Battery light, airbag light, trans hung up in high gear, then dead.... Alte EmptyWed Jan 11, 2017 12:53 pm

Update: It was the alternator. Took it to a local shop (Alternator Exchange in Pacolet, SC) and they rebuilt it for $30 in 13 minutes. No joke. I don't know how they stay in business. Anyway, all is well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Battery light, airbag light, trans hung up in high gear, then dead.... Alte   Battery light, airbag light, trans hung up in high gear, then dead.... Alte Empty

Back to top Go down

Battery light, airbag light, trans hung up in high gear, then dead.... Alte
Page 1 of 1