Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Small hole where battery sits

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
95riviboy93
Rookie

Name : Eric
Merit : 0

Small hole where battery sits Empty
PostSubject: Small hole where battery sits   Small hole where battery sits EmptyWed Mar 22, 2017 8:15 am

What do i do to fix a small hole in the floor where my battery sits?
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: Small hole where battery sits   Small hole where battery sits EmptyWed Mar 22, 2017 8:45 am

Is it rusted through? A picture would help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
95riviboy93
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Small hole where battery sits   Small hole where battery sits EmptyWed Mar 22, 2017 9:01 am

Yes you can see the ground. I use my phone and dnt know how to upload pics on here sorry
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: Small hole where battery sits   Small hole where battery sits EmptyWed Mar 22, 2017 9:24 am

That doesn't sound small. You probably have the wrong battery without the venting tube. I would remove the battery, then sand the rust down and paint it. You could simply take a piece of sheet metal cut to size and place it under the battery.

Back to top Go down
95riviboy93
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Small hole where battery sits   Small hole where battery sits EmptyWed Mar 22, 2017 9:26 am

Ok the holes no bigger than a nickel
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: Small hole where battery sits   Small hole where battery sits EmptyWed Mar 22, 2017 9:29 am

There is supposed to be a hole with a grommet in the floor. The correct Riviera battery has a vent tube that connects to it. The tube sticks through a hole in the floor to vent the battery.

Back to top Go down
1997riv
Enthusiast

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Small hole where battery sits   Small hole where battery sits EmptyWed Mar 22, 2017 11:05 am

Small hole where battery sits 25678807_Primary
Rockauto Link
Back to top Go down
95riviboy93
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Small hole where battery sits   Small hole where battery sits EmptyWed Mar 22, 2017 11:20 am

I just looked and my battery doesnt have a tube. Coming from it and the tube coming from the car is broken at the rectangular part.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: Small hole where battery sits   Small hole where battery sits EmptyWed Mar 22, 2017 11:33 am

95riviboy93 wrote:
I just looked and my battery doesnt have a tube. Coming from it and the tube coming from the car is broken at the rectangular part.

Like I said, you probably have the wrong battery in there. The right battery is a lot more expensive, so some opt to replace it with the wrong one. The Riviera/Aurora battery is pretty big, and it has an attachment for an external vent. The vent tube is AC Delco 25678807. The same one Mike pictured.

Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Small hole where battery sits   Small hole where battery sits EmptyWed Mar 22, 2017 11:46 am

95riviboy93 wrote:

You may be able to get replacement battery tube from Interstate battery dealer near you (they are all over the USA); most likely from your friendly regional GM dealer (they don't cost that much) or possibly from Amazon.com if you put the GM number 25678807 for the tube in the search box. For some reason the grommet is not in the picture stydel311 posted -- on the parts pic on gmpartsdirect.com (for the '98 Aurora) the drawing shows it on the vent tube... maybe the thing to do is ask the dealer for one OR just drill or cut a hole in a freeze plug that's the right size and secure the vent in that hole with some silicone tub caulk or form-a-gasket.

Point being that if that hole is perfectly round and not compromised by rust, all you have to do is get the proper group 79 battery and vent tube, clean up any rust around that hole, paint it so it won't rust further, then stick the grommet or freeze plug in it and put the vent tube thru.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
95riviboy93
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Small hole where battery sits   Small hole where battery sits EmptyWed Mar 22, 2017 1:21 pm

Oh Its a rust hole lol the vent tube is coming from the hole your speaking of its just damaged. I appreciate you guys help
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Small hole where battery sits   Small hole where battery sits EmptyWed Mar 22, 2017 3:19 pm

95riviboy93 wrote:
Oh Its a rust hole lol the vent tube is coming from the hole your speaking of its just damaged. I appreciate you guys help

You're welcome and BTW you really do need to get the correct battery in there, with a connected vent, and at the same time you can fix the rust hole with a metal patch brazed in or fibreglass/body compound or what have you. If you don't fix the vent then even if you fix the rust you're hosed anyway.

One way to save money on the correct battery is to get a good used one from a junkyard. People do not usually junk their cars over batteries and the yards keep the better ones to resell instead of sending them to the smelter.
Back to top Go down
95riviboy93
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Small hole where battery sits   Small hole where battery sits EmptyWed Mar 22, 2017 3:41 pm

Will do thanks
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Small hole where battery sits   Small hole where battery sits EmptyThu Mar 23, 2017 7:32 am

95riviboy93 wrote:
Will do thanks

You are welcome, be aware it might take a few calls to find a good Group 79 battery at a junkyard. They were used in a bunch of GM cars in the '90s and early 2000's. You need the capacity because the parasitic load in the Riv when off is - well - very high and you need the sealed case with vent so the acid fumes don't eat out the floorboard.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Small hole where battery sits   Small hole where battery sits EmptyThu Mar 23, 2017 6:22 pm

Early/Mid 2000s LeSabres used the same underseat battery. The fumes from an unvented battery can cause the rust hole you are discovering.

To fix it? Grind away the rust, spray it with an etching primer, then a patch should be epoxied or welded over it. Don't use any old epoxy - there is a special epoxy made for automotive sheetmetal. Then a good coat of paint.

When we bought a new battery for an '04 LeSabre from Advance Auto (I can't recall what brand it was) it came with a new vent and tube assembly on it.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Small hole where battery sits   Small hole where battery sits EmptyMon Mar 27, 2017 7:39 am

deekster_caddy wrote:
Early/Mid 2000s LeSabres used the same underseat battery. The fumes from an unvented battery can cause the rust hole you are discovering.

To fix it? Grind away the rust, spray it with an etching primer, then a patch should be epoxied or welded over it. Don't use any old epoxy - there is a special epoxy made for automotive sheetmetal. Then a good coat of paint.

When we bought a new battery for an '04 LeSabre from Advance Auto (I can't recall what brand it was) it came with a new vent and tube assembly on it.

My fuel filler is for I think the 2002 LeSabre. There was a while you couldn't get one for the Riv.

Advance or NAPA shoudl throw in a vent. Junkyard maybe if it's there already (most likely is). Check for damage.
Back to top Go down
95riviboy93
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Small hole where battery sits   Small hole where battery sits EmptyMon Mar 27, 2017 7:54 am

I appreciate everything guys. I see you guys will be very helpful
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Small hole where battery sits   Small hole where battery sits Empty

Back to top Go down

Small hole where battery sits
Page 1 of 1