Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Hole in floor pan near battery

Go down 
+4
Hometown Hero
Rickw
DEMonte1997
manofmany
8 posters
AuthorMessage
manofmany
Addict

Name : manofmany
Merit : 5

Hole in floor pan near battery Empty
PostSubject: Hole in floor pan near battery   Hole in floor pan near battery EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 4:32 pm

shocked

I just pulled the back seat to check fuses and whatnot and noticed a rather decent sized hole rusted through in the floor very close to the battery. I applied alot of pressure to the battery and it's still very solid. Any tips on what to do? Should I just have a patch welded on there?
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

Name : Rick
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: Hole in floor pan near battery   Hole in floor pan near battery EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 4:39 pm

Interesting... I wonder if there is truth to the vent tubes on the battery. :/ Otherwise I guess it would just be from salt and winter weather.

I'd have a patch welded on.
Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

PostSubject: Re: Hole in floor pan near battery   Hole in floor pan near battery EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 5:36 pm

I crawled under and it's the only questionable spot.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Hole in floor pan near battery   Hole in floor pan near battery EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 5:45 pm

Strip the paint from the surrounding area and grind any corrosion away and weld a new piece in there.
Prime and paint accordingly. Both sides, inside and outside.
Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

PostSubject: Re: Hole in floor pan near battery   Hole in floor pan near battery EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 5:53 pm

Great advice, Rick. I'll do everything but the welding. I'll take it down the road for that. I wonder if this is how I've been getting a gas smell in the vehicle when the tank is full and I crack the windows.
Back to top Go down
Hometown Hero
Junkie
Hometown Hero

Name : Klix
Merit : 16

PostSubject: Re: Hole in floor pan near battery   Hole in floor pan near battery EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 5:57 pm

Check the fuel filler neck to your tank. They get corroded over time and tend to leak down the neck. The combination of the hole in the floor and a leaky filler neck would definately leave you with a pretty good whiff of raw fuel. Just a thought... wink
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: Hole in floor pan near battery   Hole in floor pan near battery EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 8:12 pm

DEMonte1997 wrote:
Interesting... I wonder if there is truth to the vent tubes on the battery. :/ Otherwise I guess it would just be from salt and winter weather.

there is enough truth to the 'vent tubes on the battery' thing that GM wrote a TSB about it some years ago; someone with TSB access can easiliy find it, I don't have it.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

PostSubject: Re: Hole in floor pan near battery   Hole in floor pan near battery EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 2:26 pm

The hole could be where the vent tube is supposed to go through and out underneath the car. There is supposed to be a gromet around that hole. Does you car have the vent tubes?
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Hole in floor pan near battery   Hole in floor pan near battery EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 6:56 pm

BMD wrote:
The hole could be where the vent tube is supposed to go through and out underneath the car. There is supposed to be a gromet around that hole. Does you car have the vent tubes?

Good point.

Are you sure that you're not looking at the hole that is supposed to be there for the vent tube to go through, and it's just rusty around it?
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Hole in floor pan near battery   Hole in floor pan near battery EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 7:15 pm

albertj wrote:
DEMonte1997 wrote:

there is enough truth to the 'vent tubes on the battery' thing that GM wrote a TSB about it some years ago; someone with TSB access can easiliy find it, I don't have it.

Albertj
If you can find the TSB number I can retrieve the TSB. But I haven't finished my Index and it's been a year ago I started. You can tell how motivated I've become to finish this project.
Have everything in digital format and have purged any SB that have been superceded, so I have in print only the most current.
Problem is I probably only have 20% of then indexed and printed in a binder for easy access.
When completed I will have the print copy by Title, SB Number, Date of issue.
I am hoping for the same if not more once the data base is finished and polished a bit.

Just lost interest and stopped a while ago. Sounds like a good project to revive part time during the winter.
I'll need to just pick-up more binders and another case of paper and a few cartridges for the printer.
We be good to go.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Hole in floor pan near battery   Hole in floor pan near battery EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 8:54 pm

Floor Pan Corrosion Perforation in Battery Compartment (Install Repair Kit)
#04-08-61-001A - (Nov 29, 2004)

1995-1999 Buick Rivera
1998- 2004 Cadillac Seville
1995-1999 Oldsmobile Aurora

This bulletin is being revised to update the Models and Labor Time/Material Allowance. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 04-08-61-001 (Section 06 -- Engine).
Condition

Some customers may comment on corrosion (rust) in the floor pan in the area where the battery is located.

Cause
This condition may be caused by a weeping of acid from the battery or from a battery vent tube that has become dislodged.

Correction
Repair the damaged area using the parts and information contained in the floor pan repair panel kit, P/N 12482411. Also, clean any area of the floor pan where acid may have been present with a solution of baking soda and water. Rinse and dry the area thoroughly.
Parts Information

The floor pan repair panel kit contains a replacement section of the floor pan, a battery hold down and instructions. The adhesive (GM or Fusor) needs to be ordered at the time of the repair.

Part Numbers:

Panel Kit-Floor Pan Repair

GM Metal Bonding Adhesive
12378567(U.S.)

88901675(Canada)

GM Metal Bonding Adhesive

Fusor #108B Metal Bonding Adhesive (Medium Set) and applicator #301. To obtain Fusor products or information, please call 1-800-234-3876 ext. 3 or visit www. fusor.com

Parts are currently available from GMSPO.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Hole in floor pan near battery   Hole in floor pan near battery EmptySun Sep 19, 2010 4:17 am

Thanks for posting the SB #, now I can find it and add it to the rest. Don't know how outdated the adhesive they recommend until you try and buy it though.
They should still have the floor pan replacement pieces and the recommended adhesive/sealer even if it has been superseded or updated since the issuance of the revised SB, which was Dec, 2004
Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

PostSubject: Re: Hole in floor pan near battery   Hole in floor pan near battery EmptySun Sep 19, 2010 9:14 am

The hole is big enough that I can stick my hand through it. I'll try to snap a pic later.

I wonder just how well that adhesive works.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Hole in floor pan near battery   Hole in floor pan near battery EmptySun Sep 19, 2010 4:50 pm

manofmany wrote:
I wonder just how well that adhesive works.

The GM metal adhesive will bond clean metal as well as it needs to be, which is extremely good.
If you prep the area correctly and clean prior to using the product it will never come off.
Structural adhesives are being used more and more during production to attach panels to cars without any fasteners, just the adhesive. It is good stuff.

You can get your own piece of metal and buy a tube of structural adhesive from a Body Shop Supply store and maybe even a well stocked NAPA store can get it and do the job that way.
Without the need for welding. Then prime and paint both sides or you can prime and then use some undercoat to cover the primed area.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Hole in floor pan near battery   Hole in floor pan near battery EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 4:25 pm

Do you still have a factory style battery? Is the vent tube still in place?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: Hole in floor pan near battery   Hole in floor pan near battery EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 7:08 pm

1998 Riv wrote:
Do you still have a factory style battery? Is the vent tube still in place?

...point being that for your personal safety and because the Riv's battery drain when parked is so high you *really* need to use the factory battery, with vent plumbing attached. last time this came up, some months ago, the vent assemblies were still available from the dealer and part numbers were posted on that thread.

There is another thread that explains how to make a custom mount (from a plastic kitchen food-cutting board) for installing an Optima red-top instead of the OE battery.

Now - why all this fuss?

Because the problems that arise if you do not use a battery with OE capacity in terms of overall amp-hours and available cold-cranking power have amused members of this site for years. SO - don't be another clown in the parade--get the repair kit *and* the correct battery in.

As for that Lord adhesive, you should be able to phone around and find it at a car parts store that caters to body shops, or I saw it available from several places via Google Shopping, starting at about $15.- / tube. Figure it out when you order the floorpan repair kit. You want to order the repair kit sooner rather than later because GM tends to discontinue parts for cars as soon as they legally can.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hole in floor pan near battery   Hole in floor pan near battery Empty

Back to top Go down

Hole in floor pan near battery
Page 1 of 1