Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Sway bar installation

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

Sway bar installation Empty
PostSubject: Sway bar installation   Sway bar installation EmptyThu Jun 29, 2017 3:06 pm

So... I got a '99 Seville rear antisway bar to install on my Riv (it's the same as the STS bar).  My old bar broke (it outlived 3 pairs of links, I installed Moog Problem Solvers and.. oopsie... good bye bar end). The new bar looks about 1-2mm thicker than the old. For you GM gearheads, the old bar is "green" and the new is "yellow."

I wrapped the working segments of the bar (where the bushings ride) in teflon tape coated with a paste I made of tune-up grease (polysiloxane) and graphite, and over-wrapped the ends with amalgamating tape. I assume the teflon will wear through in a while. We'll see how the rest of it lasts.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Sway bar installation   Sway bar installation EmptyThu Aug 17, 2017 1:15 am

Follow-up: the wrap, i removed. The bushings. Kind of soaked up the silicone. I got the ride improvement one would expect. When i replace shocks i will probably also install a set of GM springs, which are variable rate (now - they didn't use to be).
Back to top Go down
9ty7rivi
Enthusiast

Name : terrance
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Sway bar installation   Sway bar installation EmptyThu Aug 17, 2017 7:49 am

albertj wrote:
When i replace shocks i will probably also install a set of GM springs, which are variable rate (now - they didn't use to be).  

Does that make the ride feel firmer?
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Sway bar installation   Sway bar installation EmptyThu Aug 17, 2017 9:39 am

9ty7rivi wrote:

Variable rate springs get firmer the more they compress. The "normal" ride quality is still there, but the car will feel stiffer when going over larger bumps and turning corners.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Sway bar installation   Sway bar installation EmptyThu Aug 17, 2017 7:54 pm

Abaddon wrote:

9ty7rivi wrote:

Variable rate springs get firmer the more they compress. The "normal" ride quality is still there, but the car will feel stiffer when going over larger bumps and turning corners.

I am still on original springs after 340,000 miles and expect that i should replace them, finally. The VR springs cost a bit more than standard rate but not crazy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sway bar installation   Sway bar installation Empty

Back to top Go down

Sway bar installation
Page 1 of 1