Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Brake system upgrade

Go down 
+2
jbird
RivieraRyan
6 posters
AuthorMessage
RivieraRyan
Enthusiast

Merit : 7

Brake system upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Brake system upgrade   Brake system upgrade EmptySun Jul 02, 2017 11:51 am

I got the Powerstop Z26 Front brake and rotor kit. I plan on getting the rear kit to match. Also, i wanted to upgrade my calipers as well. I like the red color that the Powerstop calipers have but the reviews aren't really that good and I want calipers that are dual piston. However, I came across these http://www.jegs.com/i/Wilwood/950/140-12100-R/10002/-1?CAWELAID=1710561364&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=15769068431&CATCI=pla-224502295271&CATARGETID=230006180037476306&cadevice=m&gclid=CNypiaPw6tQCFYWPswodf8kFvg

by Wilwood. Only question is do they fit?
Back to top Go down
jbird
Fanatic
jbird

Name : Jeff
Merit : 6

PostSubject: Re: Brake system upgrade   Brake system upgrade EmptyMon Jul 03, 2017 11:12 pm

Looks like they would be a nice upgrade in performance & looks!
Like to see pics.

Jbird
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Brake system upgrade   Brake system upgrade EmptyWed Jul 05, 2017 8:24 am

What year is your Riviera? That will help determine what upgrade options you have. There is also a long thread already about brake pad and rotors that im sure this will get added to.

For the money i dont think you can beat the performance and reliability of the fbody/ c5 vette brake upgrade. Plus its almost a direct bolt up for the 97+ rivs.

Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Brake system upgrade   Brake system upgrade EmptyWed Jul 05, 2017 12:37 pm

RivieraRyan wrote:
I got the Powerstop Z26 Front brake and rotor kit. I plan on getting the rear kit to match. Also, i wanted to upgrade my calipers as well. I like the red color that the Powerstop calipers have but the reviews aren't really that good and I want calipers that are dual piston. However, I came across these http://www.jegs.com/i/Wilwood/950/140-12100-R/10002/-1?CAWELAID=1710561364&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=15769068431&CATCI=pla-224502295271&CATARGETID=230006180037476306&cadevice=m&gclid=CNypiaPw6tQCFYWPswodf8kFvg

If I were you I would just do the F-body brake upgrade. Search for the thread. If you don't want to get a set of junkyard calipers then just get the brackets from the junkyard and order the (reman) calipers for one of the f-body cars from rockauto or jegs or what have you.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Brake system upgrade   Brake system upgrade EmptyWed Jul 05, 2017 12:51 pm

Also FWIW anyone looking at the Powerstop pads, from what i have read the Z23 and Z26 are the same friction compound, the difference is the backing plate on the 26 allows for better heat transfer to the caliper piston so they dont fad as fast. I would stick with the quieter Z23 and keep the heat away from the fluid + upgrade the rotor to slotted if fade is still a problem.
I have the Z23 on the rear with slotted rotors and will be putting them up front in the next few weeks.

Back to top Go down
RivieraRyan
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Brake system upgrade   Brake system upgrade EmptyThu Jul 06, 2017 5:08 pm

I have a 1998
Back to top Go down
RivieraRyan
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Brake system upgrade   Brake system upgrade EmptyTue Jul 11, 2017 11:47 pm

Can you post links to any kits for calipers that fit Please? From my research I'm thinking about going with a new set of GM OEM calipers. They seem to be better than all the calipers I see offered on rockauto and the others I've seen seem to be strictly racing and super pricey. I was able to locate the front 2 but the rear calipers for the 98 seem to be untrackdownable. However, I found some new rears for the 96-97 as well as the 99s. It says the 99's don't fit on the 98 but the 96-97 calipers do. What's the difference in quality/materials by year in calipers?
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Brake system upgrade   Brake system upgrade EmptyWed Jul 12, 2017 8:19 am

Grand Prix GXP calipers/brackets are a direct bolt up. You would also need the larger rotors. Only problem is that they will NOT fit under the stock 16" wheel. They barely cleared my 17's.

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t10181-write-up-gxp-brake-caliper-rotor-conversion?highlight=brake#161735

Just sayin
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Brake system upgrade   Brake system upgrade EmptyWed Jul 12, 2017 9:03 am

RivieraRyan wrote:
Can you post links to any kits for calipers that fit Please? From my research I'm thinking about going with a new set of GM OEM calipers. They seem to be better than all the calipers I see offered on rockauto and the others I've seen seem to be strictly racing and super pricey. I was able to locate the front 2 but the rear calipers for the 98 seem to be untrackdownable. However, I found some new rears for the 96-97 as well as the 99s. It says the 99's don't fit on the 98 but the 96-97 calipers do. What's the difference in quality/materials by year in calipers?

For stock-type calipers I've had good results from the NAPA black (powder coated I think) remans. I actually forget when I installed them - it's been years. I got the black rears as warranty replacements for a set of NAPA reman rear calipers that had started locking up - the shocker was how much better the replacements were, looked like they'd changed suppliers. I liked them so much I bought a set of fronts later.

While we are on the subject - I don't even let anyone else do my rear brakes, because in my experience people try to push the caliper piston in with a c clamp and on the rears that just breaks the internal adjuster - every time. You do need to push it in but only a little, just enough to pivot the thing off the bracket and remove the pads. Then you can spin the puck in with the tool of your choice.
Back to top Go down
RivieraRyan
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Brake system upgrade   Brake system upgrade EmptyMon Jul 17, 2017 2:01 am

albertj wrote:

RivieraRyan wrote:

If I were you I would just do the F-body brake upgrade.  Search for the thread.  If you don't want to get a set of junkyard calipers then just get the brackets from the junkyard and order the (reman) calipers for one of the f-body cars from rockauto or jegs or what have you.

Will the F body upgrade fit 16 inch rims?

Also, can you post a link to th3 calipers and rotors you chose?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Brake system upgrade   Brake system upgrade EmptyMon Jul 17, 2017 9:25 am

RivieraRyan wrote:

albertj wrote:

RivieraRyan wrote:

If I were you I would just do the F-body brake upgrade.  Search for the thread.  If you don't want to get a set of junkyard calipers then just get the brackets from the junkyard and order the (reman) calipers for one of the f-body cars from rockauto or jegs or what have you.

I'm pretty sure everything you need/want is in the FAQ:

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t2310p30-write-up-f-body-brake-mod

...including a warning NOT to use the spacers as indicated in the ClubGP writeup, rather have the F calipers retapped to use the Buick bolts.  
Back to top Go down
RivieraRyan
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Brake system upgrade   Brake system upgrade EmptyTue Jul 18, 2017 12:47 am

albertj wrote:

RivieraRyan wrote:

albertj wrote:

RivieraRyan wrote:

...including a warning NOT to use the spacers as indicated in the ClubGP writeup, rather  have the F calipers retapped to use the Buick bolts.  

I reviewed that thread and those were the questions I had and posted in the thread to no response. I was hoping if i posted back again in my initial thrwad someone would answer them.

I think I will be going with brand new GM OEM calipers. I was able to locate the front calipers but the rears seem to be discontinued and unavailable for the 98, but the 95-97 and 99's are available. Anyone know if they'll bolt up the same to a 98 and what the differences are in the calipers by year?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Brake system upgrade   Brake system upgrade EmptyTue Jul 18, 2017 9:11 am

RivieraRyan wrote:

albertj wrote:

RivieraRyan wrote:

albertj wrote:

RivieraRyan wrote:

...including a warning NOT to use the spacers as indicated in the ClubGP writeup, rather  have the F calipers retapped to use the Buick bolts.  

I reviewed that thread and those were the questions I had and posted in the thread to no response. I was hoping if i posted back again in my initial thrwad someone would answer them.

I think I will be going with brand new GM OEM calipers.  I was able to locate the front calipers but the rears seem to be discontinued and unavailable for the 98, but the 95-97 and 99's are available.  Anyone know if they'll bolt up the same to a 98 and what the differences are in the calipers by year?

I'll re-read it, I must have missed something.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Brake system upgrade   Brake system upgrade EmptyTue Jul 18, 2017 10:31 am

OK I think I can clear this up.

1) I just bought NAPA reman calipers to fit, front & rear. The F-body 2-pots will fit under the 16s, just like it says in the writeup. Bear in mind that you just need to get the brackets along with the calipers - which is why the junkyard approach is attractive. That said, it can take a while to find a worthy F-body in a pick-n-pull. As for the black coating, I would get that if offered but I don't know how they make it work on the aluminum castings.

2) Try this: https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/SEBSE5244A - shows NAPA front caliper for the '98 Camaro, and it comes *with* bracket. I imagine RockAuto has these from the actual supplier too but it will take some sleuthing.

3) The rotors, maybe one of these: https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/UBP86641 - my guess is these may be Centric. What I actually used were ATE Premium One rotors I got from AutohausAZ and they are NLA from that source. So... that's not a link anymore.

I missed something else? let me know.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: Brake system upgrade   Brake system upgrade EmptyWed May 27, 2020 11:58 pm

Mr.Riviera wrote:

For the money i dont think you can beat the performance and reliability of the fbody/ c5 vette brake upgrade.

Are the fbody brakes the same as the C5 Vette brakes? What years?

Really would like to have that vette logo in there rock
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brake system upgrade   Brake system upgrade Empty

Back to top Go down

Brake system upgrade
Page 1 of 1