Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

'96 Brake Upgrade Questions

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
OrangeCat3800
Rookie

Name : Elwood Blues
Merit : 0

'96 Brake Upgrade Questions Empty
PostSubject: '96 Brake Upgrade Questions   '96 Brake Upgrade Questions EmptySat May 29, 2021 5:27 am

I know that the Riviera went through different designs. The '97 had larger brake rotors I believe, and they could be fitted with Camaro rotors?

My '96 currently runs on Advance Auto Parts gold rotors and pads. However they still feel inadequate in stopping a heavy car. What are the direct bolt on upgrades for a '96? Can I use Camaro rotors on '96 as well? I still have the factory 16" alloys for SC model. Can I fit bigger brake rotors without changing anything?

The direct bolt on upgrade on the Internet is mostly the Powerstop Z26 brake kit, has anyone tried them? Or do Camaro rotors do better?
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: '96 Brake Upgrade Questions   '96 Brake Upgrade Questions EmptySat May 29, 2021 11:29 pm

Write-Up: F-Body Brake Mod

It looks like you've got to upgrade to a 97+ front suspension to do the Z28 brake mod. IIRC 97 had a problem with cracking (haven't seen it in mine yet with 97,000 miles), so look for 98+ if you're going to do this big job.

I checked the Powerstop kit on Amazon and Amazon said it doesn't fit the 96 Riviera.

12" rotors will clear 16" rims. 13" rotors need larger rims.

I think the main advantage of the Z28 brakes was decreased fade. They aren't stronger than the stock 97-99 Riv brakes until you see fade. I've never experienced it with the stock brakes.
Back to top Go down
DeepFrozen
Fanatic

Name : Dmitry
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: '96 Brake Upgrade Questions   '96 Brake Upgrade Questions EmptyMon May 31, 2021 10:37 am

Jack the R wrote:
Write-Up: F-Body Brake Mod

...  IIRC 97 had a problem with cracking...

Cracking? What cracking?
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: '96 Brake Upgrade Questions   '96 Brake Upgrade Questions EmptyMon May 31, 2021 3:30 pm

Sorry, I can't add anything to what I said. I read it on here somewhere but I can't remember where. Are you still on the original a-arms and bushings at 25 years and 230,000 miles? If so, the 97 arms couldn't be too bad!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: '96 Brake Upgrade Questions   '96 Brake Upgrade Questions Empty

Back to top Go down

'96 Brake Upgrade Questions
Page 1 of 1