Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Ignition switch vs tumbler assembly

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
MINIGUN
Rookie

Name : Paul
Merit : 0

Ignition switch vs tumbler assembly Empty
PostSubject: Ignition switch vs tumbler assembly   Ignition switch vs tumbler assembly EmptyTue May 29, 2018 7:57 pm

My 95 Riviera tends to flip back to off position after starting. I have to jiggle the key a bit to get it to catch. Much of the time I may have to start the car several times before it catches and will stay running. Every now and then when I hit a bump it will turn off. I'm not sure if it is the switch or the tumbler. Does the switch need to be cleaned and lubricated with a dry lubricant? I do not want to buy the wrong part not knowing which is the culprit or if it just needs to be cleaned?
Thanks, Paul
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: Ignition switch vs tumbler assembly   Ignition switch vs tumbler assembly EmptyWed May 30, 2018 12:34 am

Suggest you just replace the switch. They are sturdy but do not last forever. I am on my 3rd.

albertj
Back to top Go down
MINIGUN
Rookie

PostSubject: Ignition switch vs tumbler assembly   Ignition switch vs tumbler assembly EmptyFri Jun 08, 2018 6:06 am

How do you replace the switch. I tried to get the cover off of the steering column. Is there some sort of anti-theft cover over the screws to get the housing off? there seems to be three holes for screws on the underside of the cover but there is some sort of bolt thing in there. Please tell me I don't have to remove the wheel. Where can I get a good manual for servicing this car? 95 Riviera.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Ignition switch vs tumbler assembly   Ignition switch vs tumbler assembly EmptyFri Jun 08, 2018 11:03 am

MINIGUN wrote:
How do you replace the switch. I tried to get the cover off of the steering column. Is there some sort of anti-theft cover over the screws to get the housing off? there seems to be three holes for screws on the underside of the cover but there is some sort of bolt thing in there.  Please tell me I don't have to remove the wheel. Where can I get a good manual for servicing this car? 95 Riviera.

First, you should be able to get a factory service manual from eBay.  

Second there are 4 screws that hold the clamshell on, one is hidden in the cutout that the tilt wheel adjustment lever sticks through.  Lay on the floor and look up, you'll see it.  Try not to cuss too loud, you'll wake the neighbors (if not the dead). Do not horse the screws, the bosses are likely brittle.

This video from Standard (a maker of OE ignition switches etc.) is informative BUT you will need the Riviera manual because the Riv is set up a bit differently.  What to do is watch this video to get a solid idea of what is going on then read the Riv manual for how you do this on the Riv.  For instance, you should first disconnect the battery.  Then pull the steering wheel and air bag.    When you see the video you will discover that's not as difficult as you might think.  Last time I did this I replaced the multifunction switch at the same time.  Not sure you have to pull the wheel etc. on the Riv but the overall job will be easier if you do.   The video shows how this is (generally) done on the Passkey cars with the cast potmetal housing around the Saginaw column.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WW-rVQSKgY

The reason for getting a manual is the Riv just has a plastic clamshell around the part of the steering column that's just behind the steering wheel... and the manual will tell you whether you really have to pull the wheel for what you want to do. Since I did the ig and turn switches at the same time, I pulled the wheel anyway and I (a) don't remember if that was necessary for only the ig keyway/switch (b) I don't have my manual here to look it up and tell you.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
MINIGUN
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Ignition switch vs tumbler assembly   Ignition switch vs tumbler assembly EmptyFri Jun 08, 2018 4:29 pm

THX, I'll check ebay
questions

1. So there are 4 screws, all on the underside. Are these torx screws? Because there seems to be a stud in the screw holes, gun metal grey and no threads. Could it be some sort of anti-tamper device to plug the holes? wanted to make sure before grabbing them with pliers.

Well hopefully it does not involve all that. My clam shell looks more like the one on my Toyota truck, changing the switch just requires the clamshell.

Thanks,
Paul
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Ignition switch vs tumbler assembly   Ignition switch vs tumbler assembly EmptyFri Jun 08, 2018 5:19 pm

MINIGUN wrote:
THX, I'll check ebay
questions

1. So there are 4 screws, all on the underside. Are these torx screws? Because there seems to be a stud in the screw holes, gun metal grey and no threads. Could it be some sort of anti-tamper device to plug the holes? wanted to make sure before grabbing them with pliers.

Well hopefully it does not involve all that. My clam shell looks more like the one on my Toyota truck, changing the switch just requires the clamshell.

Thanks,
Paul

They might vary. My clamshell is held shut with tiny hexhead bolts/screws, coarse thread self tappers specifically for plastic -- on my car. If you lay on the floor looking up you can get enough light in there with a flashlight and take a look-see.

If you take the dash fascia off first, you can remove the clamshell and have a look.

No kidding you might really want the manual first. BTW under no circumstances get a Chilton or other manual, experience has shown they are incomplete enough for these cars that you break stuff that you should not. I have no experience with the "digital manual" for this car. I checked quickly on eBay, there are dozens of these available. I don't know if it makes a diff if you get the blue or the beige set. It makes a *big* diff that you get a set. Around $50. If you dig you'll find the set for a little less.
Back to top Go down
MINIGUN
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Ignition switch vs tumbler assembly   Ignition switch vs tumbler assembly EmptySat Jun 09, 2018 11:03 am

Thx, I'll get the manual.

I looked with a bright torch, looks likes some sort of push in anti-tamper device over the screw head.
Gonna put some more effort into it today, just to cofirm then wait for a manual.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Ignition switch vs tumbler assembly   Ignition switch vs tumbler assembly EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 1:52 am

MINIGUN wrote:
Thx, I'll get the manual.

I looked with a bright torch, looks likes some sort of push in anti-tamper device over the screw head.
Gonna put some more effort into it today, just to cofirm then wait for a manual.

Maybe your screws were replaced at some point? we'll see.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ignition switch vs tumbler assembly   Ignition switch vs tumbler assembly Empty

Back to top Go down

Ignition switch vs tumbler assembly
Page 1 of 1