Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks

Go down 
+63
dbriviera
gunmetalRED
KnottyEagle
charlieRobinson
matt270avian
KenBluder
Abaddon
96_Juggernaut
al_roethlisberger
joshuadalegrimes
Andysdorm
brutusk1
96riv
LARRY70GS
The Roadmaster
Jelorian
Jayrydingslab
95 rivieramn
wootzgarage
GMFreak8
Cmurphy
soulbladexll
BMD
Snowdog
JT Newman
VJD2
moldymac
96RIVMANN
Z-type
97 park ave
woggy
akh
robotennis61
Natesriv
johnd89
Ryan from Ohio
71stagegs
maggot
mdhall1
TonySmooth89
EatDirtFartDust
Rickw
napalmpt
'96reese
Lucas
98riv
palermocorey90
turtleman
chitown_riv98
albertj
Mr.Riviera
paulie710
deekster_caddy
TType_Riviera
1998 Riv
oldsman105
jax95riv
AA
Jack the R
T Riley
jhodges
67 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks   Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 04, 2008 10:29 pm

i dont recall getting any hardware other than the 2 shock top nuts that came pre-screwed on the rod.
mine were black too. maybe they changed the design slightly?

Back to top Go down
napalmpt
Rookie

Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks   Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks - Page 4 EmptyThu Nov 06, 2008 3:35 pm

hey guys i will soon be replacing all shocks/struts on my car cause the ride feels like its getting really rough. and when i hit a patch of rough spot in the road you can really feel my car bounce around. I have a mechanic friend who does all my work for me (charges me 25 and hour to do anything) hes even put a CAI on my s/c for me. I first need to know if there is a difference between using the factory ELC air shocks or regular air or gas shocks. Im pretty sure the compressor for my car works fairly well, When i get in the car and sit for about 20 second you can hear it kick on for about 5 - 10 seconds then shut off. i cant really FEEL any difference but i would assume since its not constantly on or never at all its working fine.

I will be putting the kyb's on the front for struts no doubt about that. but i need to know what shocks for the rear will provide better handling, stability and performance. SHould I keep the compressor and use the ma22's or use a standard air/gas shock.? And if I use a standard shock what type/brand.

Also what else can i do besides the front and rear STB and front and rear sway bars, to increase handling and stability? basically i have about 2 grand saved up and the moment, I have all the basic and minor upgrades to increase power atm, lower temp plugs, lower temp thermostat, CAI etc. etc.,. Next step i will be doing is the smaller pulley size on the s/c. I kinda want to get the handing down before i pump more power into it. SO if you had 2 grand to put into suspension, what would you do?

Last edited by napalmpt on Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks   Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks - Page 4 EmptyThu Nov 06, 2008 3:41 pm

In the For Sale section on this site there is a Pair of new AC Delco Rear Air Shocks and upper mounts for sale. They were still available last week for cheap. It's from an Ebay seller I've done business with and he'll come down on price a little if you ask. Check him out and see if their still available.
Back to top Go down
EatDirtFartDust
Fanatic

Name : The Josh
Location : Somewhere between Sullivan and Saint Peters Missouri.
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Please help, anyone else who has installed Monroe airshocks.   Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 09, 2009 12:36 am

Did yours come out of the box looking like this?
Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks - Page 4 Dsc00649zar
Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks - Page 4 Dsc00648q
Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks - Page 4 Dsc00647i

I mean, sure some of the paint on the bottom off, or some surface rust can be normal, but on the airline, it appears that some part is broken? Unless it's supposed to be like that?

I think I got sole some used ones, or a return someone else broke trying to put on.
What do you guys think?

Last edited by EatDirtFartDust on Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

Name : Anthony
Merit : 16

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks   Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 09, 2009 12:43 am

Looks abnormal to me , but i haven't installed them yet. I'd take them back.

Also , just as a courtesy to other members if you would resize images before posting it would be appreciated as it is one of the forum rules to keep images under ~ 800 pixels. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
EatDirtFartDust
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks   Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 09, 2009 12:46 am

TonySmooth89 wrote:

Also , just as a courtesy to other members if you would resize images before posting it would be appreciated as it is one of the forum rules to keep images under ~ 800 pixels. Thanks.

Whatever are you talking about good sir, those pictures are of right size... angel
Back to top Go down
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

Name : Anthony
Merit : 16

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks   Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 09, 2009 1:06 am

Ohhh but of course. I must need glasses or something. censor
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks   Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 09, 2009 8:16 am

Except for the air fitting, they look normal/new to me. The boxes may get treated poorly, resulting in scratched off paint all around. The air fitting looks like the machining wasn't quite finished though. It's very possible that they've been sold/returned before, because the air fitting was messed up, and they got re-sold instead of returned as defective. I'd try to get them exchanged for another pair, and compare the air fittings.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks   Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 09, 2009 9:12 am

Take 'em back for exchange and inspect the replacements before you leave the store. Where did you buy these?

On a related note, the Monroes I installed last summer already look like crap, very happy with function though.
Back to top Go down
EatDirtFartDust
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks   Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 09, 2009 9:18 am

I got them from my neighborhood Oreilly's, but Oreily's doesnt carry the GR-2 front struts, so I ordered the front struts and the monroe shocks from Rockauto just now, I'll get my money back on the shocks from oreillys, or use the credit for some odds and ends I need.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks   Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 09, 2009 9:35 am

Just curious, How much were the Monroe air shocks?
Back to top Go down
EatDirtFartDust
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks   Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 09, 2009 9:58 am

They were $60 from Rockauto and $7 shipping.
Oreilly normally sells them for $75, but since I work for a Ford dealer, I got them discounted to $58
Back to top Go down
EatDirtFartDust
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks   Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 09, 2009 10:37 am

So struts and shocks will soon be taken care of. What sway bar do I ask/search for? For a 95 Cadillac STS? or a newer one?
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks   Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 09, 2009 11:20 am

i think the 98 sts is the year we share parts with, but i cant say anyone with a 95 has swapped sway bars yet, so be prepared to run into fitment issues.

FWIW, my monroe rear air shocks were black,have no scratches, and the air fittings did not have a part missing. still look like new after 1 year+ and work excelent.

Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks   Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 09, 2009 12:52 pm

Odd they'd paint them black or white. Mine are white. I should have clear-coated them before I installed.
Back to top Go down
EatDirtFartDust
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks   Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 09, 2009 1:03 pm

If the pair I'm getting are white, I think I'll paint em black. I got some rustoleum paint for that, it's what I painted my paintball marker with.
Back to top Go down
mdhall1
mdhall1

Name : Matt
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks   Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks - Page 4 EmptyFri Apr 10, 2009 12:34 am

I just received a pair of the monroe ma822 todays and those air fittings don't look like mine. i took the caps off and that fitting shouldn't have the white part on it. If anyone is in the market for these i purchased mine sunday night from ebay for $30 dollars brand new in the box. $12 for shipping. just search for monroe ma822
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks   Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks - Page 4 EmptySat Apr 11, 2009 10:57 am

You can get a fitting kit from NAPA for not too much $$. They should have come with the kit.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
maggot

Name : Chris

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks   Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks - Page 4 EmptyFri Apr 17, 2009 2:04 am

i just successfully installed monro-matic+ rear gas shocks on my car. they are made for a 75 camaro. the only modification ways trimming the top mount slightly. i also just installed new monroe struts on the front , and lower my car about 3in. front and rear. I am getting it aligned tomorrow
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks   Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks - Page 4 EmptyFri Apr 17, 2009 9:38 am

wow 3" drop is a lot. what springs did you go with?

Back to top Go down
maggot

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks   Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks - Page 4 EmptyFri Apr 17, 2009 10:14 pm

stock springs, i went the cheap route and used a permanent spring clamp and compressed 2 coils completely together on all four springs, the rear dropped much lower than the front, so i cut a half coil off the front and there fairly even now and much much stiffer
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks   Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks - Page 4 EmptyFri Apr 17, 2009 11:15 pm

maggot wrote:
stock springs, i went the cheap route and used a permanent spring clamp and compressed 2 coils completely together on all four springs, the rear dropped much lower than the front, so i cut a half coil off the front and there fairly even now and much much stiffer

pics or ban.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
maggot

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks   Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks - Page 4 EmptySun Apr 19, 2009 1:11 am

haha, ill try and post a few pics
Back to top Go down
71stagegs
Enthusiast
71stagegs

Name : steve

PostSubject: air shocks   Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks - Page 4 EmptySun Apr 26, 2009 5:23 pm

I just lost one of my delco shocks is the best way to go the monroe ma822 they work with stock pump/Thanks Steve
Back to top Go down
Ryan from Ohio
Fanatic

Name : Ryan
Merit : 7

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks   Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks - Page 4 EmptySun Apr 26, 2009 7:06 pm

Link

Thats what I bought, but these are $10 cheaper. Thats less than the cost of 1 shock @ dealer/aftermarket stores...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks   Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Rear Self-leveling Air Shocks
Page 4 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next