Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Brake light and low brake fluid light

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Cmilsp
Special

Name : Cassie M Milspaugh
Merit : 0

Brake light and low brake fluid light Empty
PostSubject: Brake light and low brake fluid light   Brake light and low brake fluid light EmptyTue Apr 23, 2019 11:05 am

I have a 2006 Buick Rendezvous CX. Recently purchased. The brake light AND low brake fluid light are on. I topped it off on brake fluid it has not gone down any. The parking brake is all the way up. The dinging does NOT shut off but maybe if your lucky 5 seconds. The brakes are not spoungey. Anybody know what could be wrong. Waiting to barrow floor jack so I can bleed the brakes to see if that is the issue.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Brake light and low brake fluid light   Brake light and low brake fluid light EmptyTue Apr 23, 2019 12:24 pm

I used to own one of these, a 2004 Ultra with every option except self-leveling rear suspension.

Check to see that the brake fluid level sensor in the master cylinder reservoir is plugged in, and will stay plugged in by itself. You *may* need to replace the reservoir to get a new sensor. You *may* need to remove the reservoir to properly clean it. You *may* need the Tech II to reset things. Beyond that - brakes are important and you ought not drive it until after visually inspecting the entire system - MC, ABS motor, lines (hard and soft), calipers.

If you don't drain and fill the brake fluid in the RDV every couple years or more often (annually) it eventually does weird stuff like this.

PS: My wild guess is maybe your RDV was wrecked and the shop did a half-baked job on aspects of the repairs. People I know who have those cars, once they get them 'dialed in' do *not* want to let them go until they are wrecked, thrashed, or worn beyond economical repair.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: Brake light and low brake fluid light   Brake light and low brake fluid light EmptyTue Apr 23, 2019 2:29 pm

Every so often, I siphon the old brake fluid out of the reservoir and replace it with new. Every time I do that, the brake light goes on. I tap the side of the reservoir with a small wrench and the light goes out. Try that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Brake light and low brake fluid light   Brake light and low brake fluid light EmptyTue Apr 23, 2019 3:25 pm

LARRY70GS wrote:
Every so often, I siphon the old brake fluid out of the reservoir and replace it with new.  Every time I do that, the brake light goes on.  I tap the side of the reservoir with a small wrench and the light goes out.  Try that.

I remove reservoir from the MC and use dry gas with no additives and a small shop rag folded over a thin metal bar (for instance one of the old-fashioned stainless  steel windshield wiper refill stiffeners) to clean it and the channel it rides in.  Because it's brakes, and different MC reservoirs differ a little, I don't recommend that people do that -- but I don't mind stating that is precisely what I have done in such a case.

What I might recommend... as inexpensive as the MC reservoirs are, you might just want to replace the reservoir.
Back to top Go down
Cmilsp
Special

PostSubject: Re: Brake light and low brake fluid light   Brake light and low brake fluid light EmptySun Jun 02, 2019 10:25 am

Okay so we had to replace 3 calipers because we could not crack the bleeder screw changed the systems brake fluid and we bleed the lines... Worked great for about a week now i am again loosing brakes the longer you sit at a light pedal goes all the way to the floor at this point i am thinking master cylinder but am afraid it could be both the cylinder and booster. Any advice is appreciated
Back to top Go down
Cmilsp
Special

PostSubject: Re: Brake light and low brake fluid light   Brake light and low brake fluid light EmptySun Jun 02, 2019 10:27 am

The light no longer comes on either that problem is fixed just dont know whyi keep loosing brakes
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: Brake light and low brake fluid light   Brake light and low brake fluid light EmptySun Jun 02, 2019 1:45 pm

Cmilsp wrote:
Okay so we had to replace 3 calipers because we could not crack the bleeder screw changed the systems brake fluid and we bleed the lines... Worked great for about a week now i am again loosing brakes the longer you sit at a light pedal goes all the way to the floor at this point i am thinking master cylinder but am afraid it could be both the cylinder and booster. Any advice is appreciated

That is classic bad master cylinder.

Back to top Go down
Cmilsp
Special

PostSubject: Re: Brake light and low brake fluid light   Brake light and low brake fluid light EmptySun Jun 02, 2019 10:13 pm

Thank you thats what i thought it was!
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Brake light and low brake fluid light   Brake light and low brake fluid light EmptyMon Jun 03, 2019 8:34 am

Cmilsp wrote:

Your booster is holding vacuum if after you turn the car off and let it set a while you still have power assist to apply the brakes once or twice.

I agree with Larry (who's almost always right, does not need me to concur...) at this point I'd just replace the MC. I probably would not have replaced those calipers - I'd pull them, replace the rubber parts (seal and piston ring) and as well replace the bleeder screws. Maybe de-rust and paint them also unless they were already painted/coated.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: Brake light and low brake fluid light   Brake light and low brake fluid light EmptyThu Jun 06, 2019 1:49 am

Quote :
i am thinking master cylinder

That's what I'm thinking, too. Been there a few times. It's not an expensive part, and usually straightforward to replace.

Btw, I'm very impressed with Ate master that came OE on the Riviera. That unit performed flawlessly over the life of the car, and I put it though a whole lot of abuse.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Brake light and low brake fluid light   Brake light and low brake fluid light EmptyThu Jun 06, 2019 10:51 am

AA wrote:
Quote :
i am thinking master cylinder

That's what I'm thinking, too. Been there a few times. It's not an expensive part, and usually straightforward to replace.

Btw, I'm very impressed with Ate master that came OE on the Riviera. That unit performed flawlessly over the life of the car, and I put it though a whole lot of abuse.

+1 that, except I replaced mine at about 150K miles because the pedal would sink slowly when held pressed very hard and I could not find another cause. The replacement from Napa doesn't have that problem, but it is a 'sleeved' Cardone. Has been in about 160K miles.
Back to top Go down
Cmilsp
Special

PostSubject: Re: Brake light and low brake fluid light   Brake light and low brake fluid light EmptyFri Jun 07, 2019 10:26 am

We replaced the caliper's because one of the bleeders screws broke off. Inside we tried to get it out with easy out ans everything it wouldnt budge which is why we just replaced them.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: Brake light and low brake fluid light   Brake light and low brake fluid light EmptyFri Jun 07, 2019 1:38 pm

There is a rubber cap that caps the bleeder. Without it, dirt and water get inside and rust the bleeder shut. Make sure you replace the cap, or if it is missing, get a replacement. My 98 is on the original calipers at 192K and 21 years.

Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Brake light and low brake fluid light   Brake light and low brake fluid light EmptyFri Jun 07, 2019 5:11 pm

LARRY70GS wrote:
There is a rubber cap that caps the bleeder.  Without it, dirt and water get inside and rust the bleeder shut.  Make sure you replace the cap, or if it is missing, get a replacement.  My 98 is on the original calipers at 192K and 21 years.

+1 that, Larry  

What roasts me is the number of mechanics who will leave these off (or "lose" them), which is why I do my own brakes and figured out how to make a power bleeder.  

If you are missing your rubber caps, they are cheap and easy to get at most any auto parts store, largely as Dorman HELP items.  Or go from car to car at a pick N pull and pull some.  If it is one you frequent and you are buying about anything else, and you show them at the gate, the counterperson is as likely as not to let you have them.
Back to top Go down
Cmilsp
Special

PostSubject: Re: Brake light and low brake fluid light   Brake light and low brake fluid light EmptyTue Jun 11, 2019 3:50 pm

Surprisingly they were all on but the bleeder screw still broke or wouldnt come loose :/
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Brake light and low brake fluid light   Brake light and low brake fluid light EmptyTue Jun 11, 2019 5:16 pm

Cmilsp wrote:
Surprisingly they were all on but the bleeder screw still broke or wouldnt come loose :/

Got it.

Did you replace that MC yet?
Back to top Go down
Cmilsp
Special

PostSubject: Re: Brake light and low brake fluid light   Brake light and low brake fluid light EmptyTue Jun 11, 2019 5:19 pm

No not yet havent had the money to do so but i will let you know as soon as i do!
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Brake light and low brake fluid light   Brake light and low brake fluid light EmptyTue Jun 11, 2019 7:00 pm

Cmilsp wrote:
No not yet havent had the money to do so but i will let you know as soon as i do!

This one is $27 plus shipping; they are even a little cheaper if you can re-use your current reservoir:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=968496&cc=1022050&jsn=930

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brake light and low brake fluid light   Brake light and low brake fluid light Empty

Back to top Go down

Brake light and low brake fluid light
Page 1 of 1