Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Hood Release Broken (Not Sure Where...)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
CoffeeCommando
Amateur

Name : HttpWayne
Merit : 0

Hood Release Broken (Not Sure Where...) Empty
PostSubject: Hood Release Broken (Not Sure Where...)   Hood Release Broken (Not Sure Where...) EmptyWed Jul 10, 2019 2:45 pm

Hood release has broken. When I went to release it I didn't feel anything break, it was already very loose feeling. I've been noticing that when I close the hood it doesn't sound perfect, and the last time I noted it was louder than usual so I suspect something is broken right at the latch.

Has anyone had to replace one and if so is there a work around? I'm nads deep into a trunk mounted hydrogen fuel cell installation and need to get under the hood to finish the install, and I can't seem to feel a way to open it. I can see the yellow handled release that opens it once you release the latch, but that won't move until the first release is handled from inside the car.

I've been moving the release cable around from under the hood and I'm not sure if I have managed to put that back in the right spot... but it feels like I put it back where it came from.

HELP. !
Back to top Go down
CoffeeCommando
Amateur

Name : HttpWayne
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Hood Release Broken (Not Sure Where...)   Hood Release Broken (Not Sure Where...) EmptyWed Jul 10, 2019 3:58 pm

... It was the plastic hood latch. I'll be replacing that with the indestructable zip tie.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Hood Release Broken (Not Sure Where...)   Hood Release Broken (Not Sure Where...) EmptyThu Jul 11, 2019 10:51 am

CoffeeCommando wrote:
Hood release has broken.  When I went to release it I didn't feel anything break, it was already very loose feeling.  I've been noticing that when I close the hood it doesn't sound perfect, and the last time I noted it was louder than usual so I suspect something is broken right at the latch.  

Has anyone had to replace one and if so is there a work around?  I'm nads deep into a trunk mounted hydrogen fuel cell installation and need to get under the hood to finish the install, and I can't seem to feel a way to open it.  I can see the yellow handled release that opens it once you release the latch, but that won't move until the first release is handled from inside the car.

I've been moving the release cable around from under the hood and I'm not sure if I have managed to put that back in the right spot... but it feels like I put it back where it came from.

HELP. !

You can open the hood by reaching the latch from under the front bumper.  This (SSSSHHHH!!) is pretty much the case for many/most US-made GM cars - the interior remote release isn't needed all that much, once you know where to reach you don't even have to look to open the thing.

How you figure it out - the release latch cable is probably still connected to the hood latch.  Just *look at* the cable thru the grill opening.  Reach up and find the cable with your hand.  follow the cable with your hand to the latch.  Tug on the latch, it will open.

The Riv hoods were kind of heavy, you will probably need to then lift the hood a bit (I use the "R" emblem as a handle, GENTLY  lift it), and you'll hear a click as the hood latch hits the safety stop latch.  Latch is covered in bright yellow plastidip, just look under the center of the grill and you'll see it.  As you lift the hood lift that latch paddle and it'll open up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hood Release Broken (Not Sure Where...)   Hood Release Broken (Not Sure Where...) Empty

Back to top Go down

Hood Release Broken (Not Sure Where...)
Page 1 of 1