Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Access for paintless dent removal?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

Name : Brian Cohen
Merit : 8

Access for paintless dent removal? Empty
PostSubject: Access for paintless dent removal?   Access for paintless dent removal? EmptyWed Nov 27, 2019 8:48 pm

I bought my car with a small dent in front of the passenger side view mirror. Is there access if I had a guy do paintless dent removal there? Of course the door panel would have to come off.
Back to top Go down
DeepFrozen
Fanatic

Name : Dmitry
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: Access for paintless dent removal?   Access for paintless dent removal? EmptyFri Nov 29, 2019 3:23 am

A picture of this spot would dramatically improve our ability to answer your question )
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

PostSubject: Re: Access for paintless dent removal?   Access for paintless dent removal? EmptyFri Nov 29, 2019 4:03 am

Oh yeah, can you show it to us....
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

PostSubject: Re: Access for paintless dent removal?   Access for paintless dent removal? EmptyFri Nov 29, 2019 6:44 am

I will, my Photobucket account was full and I was having trouble hosting it. Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Access for paintless dent removal?   Access for paintless dent removal? EmptyFri Nov 29, 2019 12:09 pm

I have had paintless dent removal done in the past and the guy didn't need access to the backside of the sheet metal panel that he worked on.

But I guess it depends on how "Sharp" the dent is. If it has creased the sheet metal then it really won't be a paintless dent removal job. If they have to get to the backside of the dent to use a dolley or hammer back there then there is a good chance the paint will chip while attempting to repair the dent.

The dent's that are good candidates for paint less removal are the kind that have now sharp edges,
Almost as easy as punching the back side of a panel and having it "Pop" out, back into place.
But when you don't have that kind of access from the back side of a dent then the suction cups they use work real good.

Good luck with your repair. Hope all turns out good and is easy to do.
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

PostSubject: Re: Access for paintless dent removal?   Access for paintless dent removal? EmptyFri Nov 29, 2019 12:14 pm

I've had PDR done many times. The problem with this is it is almost at the top of the door. Soon as I get a chance I'm going to post a picture.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: Access for paintless dent removal?   Access for paintless dent removal? EmptyFri Nov 29, 2019 2:35 pm

Rickw wrote:

But when you don't have that kind of access from the back side of a dent then the suction cups they use work real good.

At this point I'd say the paint is too old for suction cup or glue techniques.
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

PostSubject: Re: Access for paintless dent removal?   Access for paintless dent removal? EmptyFri Nov 29, 2019 4:39 pm

Let's see if this link works.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9jUubd6F5tPzeqY37
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: Access for paintless dent removal?   Access for paintless dent removal? EmptyFri Nov 29, 2019 10:46 pm

Looks like you would take the mirror off. To do so you need to remove the interior door panel, and pull back the water deflector. Then look for a couple "access hole plugs." Remove those, and you can get to two nuts that hold the mirror on.

The mirror has an electrical cable coming out of it, you may have to undo the connector for that. But the cable may be long enough that you can pull the mirror out far enough to work on the dent. You may need to support the mirror and cover the bolts so they don't scratch your paint.
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

PostSubject: Re: Access for paintless dent removal?   Access for paintless dent removal? EmptyFri Nov 29, 2019 10:56 pm

Great idea w/ removing the mirror. Testing to see if my image link works.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sqzb3sbs8ouyh3m/IMG_20191127_180119410.jpg?dl=0
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Access for paintless dent removal?   Access for paintless dent removal? Empty

Back to top Go down

Access for paintless dent removal?
Page 1 of 1