Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower

Go down 
+43
NelsonBC12
ewolfe0050
ghpcnm
albertj
Nez
moldymac
sburch23
EatDirtFartDust
Rickw
Jason
Shintsu
TonySmooth89
Supercharged
ibmoses
SuperRiv07
manofmany
captshiner
Chicken
deekster_caddy
T Riley
robotennis61
99Rivman
BillBoost37
palermocorey90
SC95Riv
allfalldown
1998 Riv
ricoshay
mayfair4life187
gosloriv
SpaceBar
SoCal Riv
TType_Riviera
RhinoFLA
racinfan
pwmin
NO 4 EVR
Mr.Riviera
AA
98riv
jax95riv
47 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
SC95Riv
Enthusiast
SC95Riv

Name : Chris
Merit : 0

seafoam - Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   seafoam - Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 29, 2007 1:06 am

I just bought seafoam last night and put it in my gas...then I took it out on the parkway and flogged it a bit. A couple WOT spurts to around 95, 95 MPH... the car had some better pick up and go, however I still need to put Seafoam into my crankcase and through do my top half. I'm waiting though because after reading I shouldnt leave it in the crankcase for more than 250 miles, well I just had an oil change this passed week. So i'll wait until its due again. But I may try some more in my gas sometime within the next couple tanks or so.
Back to top Go down
palermocorey90
Expert
palermocorey90

Name : Corey
Merit : -24

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   seafoam - Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 29, 2007 9:01 am

im scared to try this in my car i have 3 cans of it im afraid that if i try it then riv wont want to start up any more
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/glowinstrat
jax95riv
Aficionado
jax95riv

Name : Jack
Merit : 6

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   seafoam - Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 29, 2007 7:02 pm

It's fine Corey, just follow the directions in the write up. It made a BIG difference in my car.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/468780
BillBoost37
Junkie

Merit : 26

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   seafoam - Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 30, 2007 1:49 am

Corey..it's cool, you might need to give the car a little throttle to start it...but that's it.

I've done this a 4-5 cars and it is safe. Follow the directions and all will be well.

The only thing I would change on the writeup would be the brake booster as the vacuum line being used. That is a huge vacuum leak. I prefer getting a length of vac hose for the fitting on top of the SC in both S1 and S2's or going off one to the TB on the NA motors.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   seafoam - Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 30, 2007 3:12 am

I'd have to agree with Bill on not using the brake booster hose. I did the first time I Seafoam'd the Riv this summer, won't do that again. Use a smaller diameter hose on the capped vac fitting on top of the SC.
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 89

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   seafoam - Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 16, 2007 6:53 am

1998 Riv wrote:
I'd have to agree with Bill on not using the brake booster hose. I did the first time I Seafoam'd the Riv this summer, won't do that again. Use a smaller diameter hose on the capped vac fitting on top of the SC.
I have done the seafoam in the fuel but might have to do it again, I didn’t read the suggested applications and added it to a full tank of gas, will have to wait and see if it helps?
I did the top end cleaning, I used a smaller hose stuck into the brake booster hose and used hose clamp pliers to regulate how much seafoam it sucked in, it smokes and runs just like when I used to pour trani fluid into carbureted engines. The seafoam I’m sure helped but with the maintenance that had been done on this Riv in the past I am going to have to do more. I’ve had to clean around the butterfly on my truck, removing the air intake and spray injector cleaner right onto the butterfly. I get a sticking accelerator pedal and I’m sure that is the problem.
I’m waiting on the oil until I know I’ll have time to change it because I’m sure with the way this car has been maintained the filter will clog almost immediately! So I’ll seafoam that when I’m sure I can change it right away.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: seafoam,visited!   seafoam - Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 01, 2008 11:09 pm

got a couple cans of seafoam,1 for the fuel 1/2 for the crank case 1/2 for the upper intake....all worked according to plan.i performed this sequence of engine cleaning in a church parking lot at 1:am in the morning! after doing the fuel then the lower crank case,i then siphoned the remaining seafoam into the vacum line,little by little,then put the remaining S.F into the vac tube,stalled the rivi,waited 10 or so minutes then started her up.. boy! the plume of smoke that came out of the engine bay must have woke up all the saints!! it lingered and wafted in the air like a ghost for what seemed like a long time....even the sleeping neighborhood dogs noticing something out of the ordinary was up started to bark like gangbusters.....!!! all the animals started howling! st.francis of asisis,couldent calm em down!....waited a few min more took of for a spirited drive...things are working better i think...just a little problem,the engine ran a little rough the next day.the revs dropping a little below 1000 rpm,s.....i think the S.F just needs to work its way through the fuel system...or i have a clogged cat exaserbated by the cleaning...or both...is this normal?...guess i have to wait until the next fill up and see if it goes away.........

Last edited by robotennis61 on Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TType_Riviera
Fanatic
TType_Riviera

Name : Rob

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   seafoam - Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 02, 2008 12:06 am

You need to change the oil ASAP.... all the carbon deposits you cleand off the valves an pistons..dirtys your oil..an clogs your filter....

and your car should be idling below 1000..
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2131502/1
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   seafoam - Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 02, 2008 1:52 am

Yeah, and if you dumped it in the crankcase, you need to change oil at no more than 100 miles anyway. RPM's should not be over 750-ish if you are running a stock cam still, fully warmed up.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   seafoam - Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 02, 2008 3:52 am

as said before, change the oil.
the SF in the gas should act like octane booster and make it run better, not worse. i wouldnt put new gas in untill you have run the seafoam out.
also check your plugs, if you had a lot of carbon build up it can foul plugs. a few WOT runs may clean them off, but if i were you i would pick up a set of AL 605's or 104's if your modded. they are inexpensive and work great in s/c cars.
lastly, if the fuel filter is old, then you may want to get a new one. the SF probably knocked up some dirt and rust at the bottom of the tank and it could clog an old filter.

btw, was the smoke white or grey?

Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   seafoam - Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 02, 2008 2:22 pm

for sure,the revs are now spiking up and down insted of staying steady, the car seems to want to chug it self off. otherwise the treatment seems to be working fine. the smoke coming off the engine was white. but i got nothing out the tail pipe. thats why i suspect a clogged cat. but i might be wrong,either way the cat is coming off real soon. my fuel filter was changed in august of 07, so its still good. but im going to change it along with the oil at 100 miles plus the plugs. btw, what oil filter do you guys recomend for the rivi? the fram filter seems more suited to a 4 banger in size than a 6 cyl! also went and changed out the front sway bar bushings along with the end links all the way around,found the perfect fitting poly bushings at a.z they were just out of stock for the sway bar bushing for the back.. thanks again people!
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   seafoam - Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 02, 2008 2:35 pm

WOW when i seafoamed my ride..... it came out the tail "pipe's" im taking a video of it later this summer when i do my car again...... WOW that was fun times
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   seafoam - Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 02, 2008 3:12 pm

acdelco pf52 filter (larger sized than stock)
FRAM is the worst filter ever made, if you dont believe me, cut one open.
all of the smoke should have been from the exhaust. which line did you put the SF in?

Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   seafoam - Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 02, 2008 3:31 pm

the PF52 is the way to go. If you look it up in a book it's for a late-90s chevy 4.3 S-10 or GMC Jimmy. Get the AC or better filter.
Back to top Go down
TType_Riviera
Fanatic
TType_Riviera

Name : Rob

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   seafoam - Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 02, 2008 3:59 pm

Mr.Riviera wrote:

FRAM is the worst filter ever made, if you dont believe me, cut one open.

read

I use the delcos,or mobile 1 filters....
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2131502/1
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   seafoam - Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 02, 2008 6:32 pm

i put the s.f into the brake boost vac line with no problem mr.riv. not a bit came out. im sure i will see better results when i yank the cat though.......i dont know...just a feeling. i ran a whole year with my old cars cat really clogged up..cant imagine how she ran,but she did.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   seafoam - Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 16, 2008 2:28 am

after seafoaming the riv, i do feel a difference in performance. only prob is, when i did it i had no idea that the cat was mostly clogged... no harm done though. changed the oil and it was real black. so i know it did its job.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   seafoam - Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 21, 2008 6:09 am

i redid the upper intake seafoaming, and this time it came out the exhaust. but not alot of smoke,just a small amount. that tells me my cat, when i s/fd for the first time ,was tottally clogged! even though i could see a little light through the cat. after installing a straight piece of tubing,my mpgs have gone up quite a lot. at least 5-6 miles over normal. thats good for me!
Back to top Go down
Chicken
Aficionado
Chicken

Name : Mark
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Live in small town? Afraid your going to miss the Olympics?   seafoam - Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 03, 2008 4:28 am

Afraid your going to miss the Olympics?

Well fret no longer!

Seafoam your car!
seafoam - Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 3 _44062585_smognew416

I just did and my neighbors love me! I could tell by the way they were waving their pitchforks and torches!
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
captshiner
Junkie
captshiner

Name : Andrew
Merit : -1

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   seafoam - Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 03, 2008 1:21 pm

On the Seafoam site, it all suggests that you have a technician perform the cleaning. What products do you use, and how do you use them? You all seem to love this stuff and I'd like to test it out on both my cars.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=572362129
manofmany
Addict

Name : manofmany
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   seafoam - Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 03, 2008 1:25 pm

captshiner wrote:
On the Seafoam site, it all suggests that you have a technician perform the cleaning. What products do you use, and how do you use them? You all seem to love this stuff and I'd like to test it out on both my cars.

Works great in your gas.

Works great in your oil. Do some research on that first.

Works great going through the Intake system. Once again, research.
Back to top Go down
Chicken
Aficionado
Chicken

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   seafoam - Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 03, 2008 1:32 pm

pour 1 pint into the gas tank with at least 8 gallons of gas

pour 1/2 pint into the oil (crankcase) make sure you change your oil and filter before 500 miles after adding...

add 1/2 pint to you induction system by direct vaccum line like from the brake booster...

...you'll need a special licence from the city if your in city limits
....a hazmat suit
....an incredible lung capacity to hold your breath for 10 minutes
....the audacity to try this in daylight
....6 years of college

...I think thats it.
Back to top Go down
captshiner
Junkie
captshiner

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   seafoam - Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 03, 2008 1:43 pm

"...you'll need a special licence from the city if your in city limits
....a hazmat suit
....an incredible lung capacity to hold your breath for 10 minutes
....the audacity to try this in daylight
....6 years of college"

Hope that's sarcasm, Chicken.
Back to top Go down
Chicken
Aficionado
Chicken

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   seafoam - Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 03, 2008 1:48 pm

it is!
Back to top Go down
captshiner
Junkie
captshiner

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   seafoam - Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 04, 2008 3:19 am

Thought so. I wish one of you guys lived near me, I'm new to this whole 'amateur mechanic' thing and trying new things makes me nervous. I need someone to watch over me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   seafoam - Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next