Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower

Go down 
+43
NelsonBC12
ewolfe0050
ghpcnm
albertj
Nez
moldymac
sburch23
EatDirtFartDust
Rickw
Jason
Shintsu
TonySmooth89
Supercharged
ibmoses
SuperRiv07
manofmany
captshiner
Chicken
deekster_caddy
T Riley
robotennis61
99Rivman
BillBoost37
palermocorey90
SC95Riv
allfalldown
1998 Riv
ricoshay
mayfair4life187
gosloriv
SpaceBar
SoCal Riv
TType_Riviera
RhinoFLA
racinfan
pwmin
NO 4 EVR
Mr.Riviera
AA
98riv
jax95riv
47 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
SuperRiv07
Addict
SuperRiv07

Name : Nick
Location : Brookfield, And If everything goes right A Nice big house in Bolingbrook with a big GARAGE
Merit : 0

Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 03, 2008 3:33 pm

Well I definitly need to do this to my riv seeing that I got 150000 miles and Its about time to really clean the bitch out. How much is this seafoam crap anyways?
Back to top Go down
http://www.Chitownracing.com
manofmany
Addict

Name : manofmany
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 03, 2008 4:44 pm

captshiner wrote:
Thought so. I wish one of you guys lived near me, I'm new to this whole 'amateur mechanic' thing and trying new things makes me nervous. I need someone to watch over me.

LOL it's not that bad!

You should see peoples faces when they see me or I tell them about how I flush my engines out with kerosene! One of the best tricks for cleaning out engine gunk, but most are scared to do it. They don't realize or believe that kerosene is a lubricating substance!
Back to top Go down
Chicken
Aficionado
Chicken

Name : Mark
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 03, 2008 5:14 pm

captshiner wrote:
Thought so. I wish one of you guys lived near me, I'm new to this whole 'amateur mechanic' thing and trying new things makes me nervous. I need someone to watch over me.

...actually....I'm right behind you... O_o
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 03, 2008 5:36 pm

SuperRiv07 wrote:
Well I definitly need to do this to my riv seeing that I got 150000 miles and Its about time to really clean the bitch out. How much is this seafoam crap anyways?

I think its like $8.00 or so.

Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 03, 2008 5:43 pm

ibmoses wrote:
SuperRiv07 wrote:

I think its like $8.00 or so.

Bert tavis

Thats right. I paid $7.99 earlier. It was only $5 2 years ago. Inflation blows!
Back to top Go down
SuperRiv07
Addict
SuperRiv07

Location : Brookfield, And If everything goes right A Nice big house in Bolingbrook with a big GARAGE

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 03, 2008 6:07 pm

Kool that aint babd at all
Back to top Go down
Supercharged
Addict
Supercharged

Name : Blake

PostSubject: seafoam (temp)   Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 5:34 pm

ive seen the videos online but has anyone here done it on the riviera...im thinking it needs cleaned out either way, yesterday i was taking my buddy home and heard a what he didnt wanna say might be a lifter/rocker or something like that nervous

you could only hear it inside the car and when in neutral you couldnt hear it.

i think you put some in the gas tank, brake booster, and oil puzzled
Back to top Go down
Chicken
Aficionado
Chicken

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 6:24 pm

does it sound like its sticking?

happy
Back to top Go down
1wickedninja
Addict
1wickedninja

Name : Josh

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 6:34 pm

I just put seafoam in my gas tank over the weekend seems to run better now I'm also thinking about changing out the fuel filter 76k miles and I don't k ow of it's ever been done.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/1wickedninja
Supercharged
Addict
Supercharged

Name : Blake

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 7:39 pm

Chicken wrote:
does it sound like its sticking?

happy

are you really happy my car might be having problems
wtf

if so thats not cool

if not it sounded like it was sticking or it could be the rocker, you only heard it in the car

i know i need video but im sure you couldnt hear it anyways
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 8:20 pm

sure it's not the blower coupler rattling?

please use the search for "seafoam". there is tons of info on it here. most of us have used it at least once with success. i would not recommend using any in the oil unless you really know what you are doing.
if you are looking to do some fall cleaning try these items: air filter, 1 can SF in with 5gal of 93, drive it 3gears then replace the fuel filter, run 1/2 can SF through vac line, replace all spark plugs with AL605's (if unmodded), change your oil and use pf52 filter.
of course it would be best to clean the TB by hand after using the SF to get all the carbon behind the butterfly that the SF cant reach.

Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 9:46 pm

I've ran seafoam through all parts of my vehicles. If someone has a loud lifter, I would recommend removing them (not very daunting) and soaking them in brake cleaner for 12 hours or so. They can become clogged causing ticking. They are generally cheap to replace as well.
Back to top Go down

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 10:44 pm

I did seafoam about a half year after I bought my riv. Half in the oil(change and filter after no more than 100miles), and suck the other half in through a vaccum line such as the brake booster, at end of can let it suck up the rest, choke and die. wait 10 min, then go for a very spirited drive. I found it made a big difference on the "older" car. brought back much of the lost power.

Addict
SuperRiv07

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 4 EmptyFri Sep 19, 2008 12:39 am

im, worried about trying the Seafoam
Back to top Go down
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

Name : Anthony
Merit : 16

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 4 EmptyFri Sep 19, 2008 12:43 am

What are you worried about? Its not really hard.
Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

Name : Shintsu
Merit : -16

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 4 EmptyFri Sep 19, 2008 12:48 am

I'm with Nick on this one - heard stories of people using it and their cars run worse after having used it than before. Kinda like the transmission fluid thing - if you've never changed it after 100k miles, DON'T!
Back to top Go down
SuperRiv07
Addict
SuperRiv07

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 4 EmptyFri Sep 19, 2008 12:51 am

Exactly I used to work at an oil change place and we did a trans flush on a car and a week later his trans went out, Like I want to restore power and clean out my motor but im dont want to fuck up my car, what about Engine restore is that any good?
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

Merit : 26

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 4 EmptyFri Sep 19, 2008 8:27 am

Here's my take on seafoam and trans flushes etc. If you do them regularly or semi regularly then it's all good.

If you don't ever do them until a problem crops up, you may be asking for trouble. In this case we have a possibly clogged lifter. If the thoughts are a lifter got clogged the questions can start along the lines of Did you perform regular oil changes? If something clogged the lifter, then couldn't something loosen up and clog some other important item? Same with a trans, if service/flushes aren't done until there's an issue then all the clutch material in the fluid will get flushed and the trans will seem to die relatively soon after. When in fact the material in the fluid was giving it enough grip to work and once that was replaced with clean, detergent filled fluid there is nothing to grip and whatever remains of the clutches heads south fast.
Back to top Go down
Jason
Aficionado
Jason

Name : Jason
Merit : 65

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 4 EmptyFri Sep 19, 2008 2:30 pm

I'm a big fan of MotorVac (formerly CarbonClean).

Just make sure the tech hooks up both the pressure and return side of the fuel system of the car... If he tries to use the Shraeder valve in the manifold, he is NOT going to clean your car correctly.
It cleans the fuel system and removes all contaminants while cleaning the regulator and injectors. It has it's own self contained fuel system. Your car runs on the machine , but your pump is disconnected during the process. It also removes the carbon from the back of the valves, ports and injector housings, as well as from the combustion chamber and pistons.
On high mileage cars there should be a noticeable increase in gas mileage.

It solves a lot of mysterious drivability problems.

The OP was from Ohio, so here is a list of known places in Ohio that have the "real" MotorVac. If people from other provinces/states want a list, it could be done.

OH Chillicothe Halls Automotive (740) 775-2143 http://www.hallsautomotive.com/services.html
OH** Colombus Wilson’s Auto 614-228-3535 $120
OH** St Marys Rable's Auto Service (419) 394-1624 www.rablesautoservice.com
OH** Medina Costello's Auto Service 330-725-4238

** means it has been recommended by a forum member (no recommendations from this forum yet though)
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Doctor_Meltdown
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 4 EmptyFri Sep 19, 2008 2:38 pm

ND or MN please? (ND preferred)
Back to top Go down
Chicken
Aficionado
Chicken

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 4 EmptyFri Sep 19, 2008 2:39 pm

and MT?
Back to top Go down
Jason
Aficionado
Jason

Name : Jason
Merit : 65

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 4 EmptySat Sep 20, 2008 1:42 am

Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Doctor_Meltdown
SuperRiv07
Addict
SuperRiv07

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 27, 2008 11:40 pm

I am Interested in doing this seafoam But it just makes me nervous as hell
Back to top Go down
98riv

Merit : 30

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 28, 2008 7:57 pm

SuperRiv07 wrote:
I am Interested in doing this seafoam But it just makes me nervous as hell

Which part? Puting it the fuel or in the vacuum line? Putting it in the fuel is easy. You have to be careful using it in the vacuum lines, but if you follow the instructions posted here on the forum you should be fine.

Addict
SuperRiv07

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 28, 2008 8:42 pm

Yeah I aint worried about putting it in the gas tank, But yeah the vac line I will try when I clean out the garage
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower   Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Seafoam to restore lost horsepower
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next