Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Time for bushings.

Go down 
+4
intosilence1
redbaron
carguy8888
Rickw
8 posters
AuthorMessage
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

Name : Brian Cohen
Merit : 8

Time for bushings. Empty
PostSubject: Time for bushings.   Time for bushings. EmptyFri Jan 17, 2020 7:24 pm

My lower control arms and the rest of the rubber on my front end is rotted. My car shakes at highway speed. I am thinking of doing Moog lca's, front and rear sway bar bushings and outer tie rod ends. The motor mounts are new except for the trans mount which I will replace.

I saw these parts on Rock Auto, are they the cradle bushings? Should I bother checking the dealer at this point and am I missing anything? Thanks in advance for the advice.

Subframe bushing DORMAN 924044 {#25674565, 25757174}
Subframe mount SKP SKM4052
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

Time for bushings. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for bushings.   Time for bushings. EmptySat Jan 18, 2020 1:25 am

Don't bother spending the big bucks for the cradle bushings from GM.

I used all Dorman bushing assembly's even though the part number for the Dormans said they only fit the rear of the front cradle on my 98. They fit in all six positions and worked great.
Got them on Amazon with free shipping for not a lot of money. Especially compared to the GM parts.
The Dormans came complete with bolts IIRC.

I also got complete Lower Control Arms with poly bushings and new balljoints installed from Dorman on Amazon for about $50.00 each at the time. Well worth the money I spent. This was about 5 years ago. You'll need to check pricing and availability.
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

Time for bushings. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for bushings.   Time for bushings. EmptySat Jan 18, 2020 6:04 am

Beautiful, are there upper body mounts to or do we bother with them? I thought my guy counted 11 or 12 of them. Thanks for the quick reply, I guess you work nights or don't sleep LOL.
Back to top Go down
redbaron
Amateur

Name : Joseph Contardi
Merit : 2

Time for bushings. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for bushings.   Time for bushings. EmptyFri May 21, 2021 8:54 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm brand new to this site.
My 96 has a pop in the steering at times when I turn the wheel. 136K
Tie rods ends are new. Could the problem be control arm bushings?

Back to top Go down
redbaron
Amateur

Time for bushings. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for bushings.   Time for bushings. EmptyFri May 21, 2021 8:58 pm

Ball joints are also tight.
Back to top Go down
intosilence1
Rookie

Name : RivNewEra
Merit : 1

Time for bushings. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for bushings.   Time for bushings. EmptySat May 22, 2021 2:38 am

redbaron wrote:
Hi everyone,
I'm brand new to this site.
My 96 has a pop in the steering at times when I turn the wheel. 136K
Tie rods ends are new. Could the problem be control arm bushings?

If you hear the pop while turning it could be your strut mount bearings. It's the plate that sits between your strut and the car. To do a quick test, put the key in the ignition and turn it forward without turning on the car. Have someone slightly turn the wheel left and right, while you get right next to the tire. Reach up above the tire and place your fingers on the coil spring. If the mount bearing is bad, you should be able to hear and/or feel the pop as they turn the wheel.

If the control arm bushings were bad, you would have movement on the tire while the car was on the ground. Check out this video and see what would happen if your control arm bushings were bad.

https://youtu.be/YT8Wld2FYZY
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

Time for bushings. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for bushings.   Time for bushings. EmptySat May 22, 2021 8:27 am

Agreeing with an adding to what intosilence1 says, if you're strut bearings are bad make sure you buy GM ones. I bought a couple of set of aftermarket units and they were defective. Now I have a GM set and the car drives like I a new car. I was also able to see my strut mounts moving from the top of the mount under the hood.
Back to top Go down
redbaron
Amateur

Time for bushings. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for bushings.   Time for bushings. EmptySun May 23, 2021 8:01 am

Thank you Guys!

I have a vibration too 65 -75mph. I think I need strut bearings and control arm bushings.

I just picked up a 95 SC for my daughter. it vibrates between 60 and 70.

good video. happy
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

Time for bushings. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for bushings.   Time for bushings. EmptySun May 23, 2021 5:29 pm

That could be a lot of things from balancing to hubs. You have to take it apart and see what's loose.
Back to top Go down
redbaron
Amateur

Time for bushings. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for bushings.   Time for bushings. EmptySun May 23, 2021 6:36 pm

OK, Thank you Brian.

Joe
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

Time for bushings. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for bushings.   Time for bushings. EmptySun May 23, 2021 6:42 pm

There are certainly people on here with more knowledge than me but I would start by getting the front wheels balanced and whoever takes the wheels off can certainly take a look, or have somebody at the place take a look.
Back to top Go down
redbaron
Amateur

Time for bushings. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for bushings.   Time for bushings. EmptyMon May 24, 2021 8:35 pm

The tires are new and were balanced. Ill double check them though.

Thank you
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

Time for bushings. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for bushings.   Time for bushings. EmptyTue May 25, 2021 9:16 am

See if you can get them road force balanced and have them check for an out of round rim or tire.
Back to top Go down
redbaron
Amateur

Time for bushings. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for bushings.   Time for bushings. EmptyTue May 25, 2021 7:35 pm

Wow.

Never new.

I just looked up road force balancing.

Sounds like a great place to start.

Thank you

Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

Time for bushings. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for bushings.   Time for bushings. EmptyThu May 27, 2021 5:55 pm

That's what it's all about, people on this board gave me a ton of knowledge as well.
Back to top Go down
Spacecowboy067
Enthusiast
Spacecowboy067

Name : Luis
Merit : 4

Time for bushings. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for bushings.   Time for bushings. EmptyFri Jun 18, 2021 4:05 am

Damn looks like everyone has highway speed shakes...

I think I need new control arms. Or something, idk. I have a 97 so there's zero control arm parts out there and since those bushings are fried and my tires just got balanced, I'm pretty sure the arms need replaced.

Is there any other GM control arm like a Caddy or Lacrosse (they look similar) that could fit? Or maybe should I try getting new bushings to fit in the current control arms?
Back to top Go down
DeepFrozen
Fanatic

Name : Dmitry
Merit : 11

Time for bushings. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for bushings.   Time for bushings. EmptyFri Jun 18, 2021 9:35 am

There is a thread about 97 LCA, look it up.
I ended up replacing my bushings, but no, it wasn't an easy and straight-forward solution, I had to suffer )  I feel I have to share my experience and update that 97 LCA thread...  
Another option is to fabricate adapter rings/sleeves to use widely available bushings from 95-96, which are a little bit smaller in diameter.
Back to top Go down
Spacecowboy067
Enthusiast
Spacecowboy067

Time for bushings. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for bushings.   Time for bushings. EmptyFri Jun 18, 2021 1:23 pm

Hmm. Would it be easier to just weld brackets to accept 98+ control arms? At least then I could find shit in stock
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

Time for bushings. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for bushings.   Time for bushings. EmptyFri Jun 18, 2021 1:44 pm

Spacecowboy067 wrote:

My 97 doesn't, knock on wood . . . I'm sure my time for bushings will come as well.

Back to top Go down
9ty7rivi
Enthusiast

Name : terrance

Time for bushings. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for bushings.   Time for bushings. EmptyTue Aug 10, 2021 6:53 pm

[quote="Spacecowboy067"]Damn looks like everyone has highway speed shakes...

Mine does not as I have replaced the dreaded rear bushings and lower ball joint. I can punch it full throttle(1/2 twisted ) and the fucker pulls like a demon!

I see a lot of issue with the special LCA issue on the 97. I had an engineer spec me out a readily available bushing that I just had pressed out and back in, easy. I will find that PN# because I still have to have my driver side done. I will post in the control arm section once I locate everything.
Back to top Go down
Spacecowboy067
Enthusiast
Spacecowboy067

Time for bushings. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for bushings.   Time for bushings. EmptySat Aug 21, 2021 4:31 am

9ty7rivi wrote:
Spacecowboy067 wrote:

Mine does not as I have replaced the dreaded rear bushings and lower ball joint. I can punch it full throttle(1/2 twisted ) and the fucker pulls like a demon!

I see a lot of issue with the special LCA issue on the 97. I had an engineer spec me out a readily available bushing that I just had pressed out and back in, easy. I will find that PN# because I still have to have my driver side done. I will post in the control arm section once I locate everything.

Did you ever get the part number on that bushing? If not I might just bolt up W body arms to it... My car being able to finally drive straight would be worth messing with wheel geometry
Back to top Go down
DeepFrozen
Fanatic

Name : Dmitry
Merit : 11

Time for bushings. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for bushings.   Time for bushings. EmptySat Aug 21, 2021 7:01 am

It might be MOOG K201813, LCA bushing for the 2001-2005 Toyota RAV4.
Currently I have RAV4s bushings from different brand in my 97 LCA.

Spacecowboy067 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Time for bushings. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for bushings.   Time for bushings. Empty

Back to top Go down

Time for bushings.
Page 1 of 1