Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Window guide.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

Name : Brian Cohen
Merit : 8

Window guide. Empty
PostSubject: Window guide.   Window guide. EmptySun Mar 29, 2020 5:52 pm

I think the white plastic piece in my pic is a driver window guide. When it is not fully up or down the rear top of my glass is very loose and rattles like crazy. When in the up or down position it is fine. This window guide has play in it but I don't see a replacement listed. Is my only option a salvage yard where I may have the same problem? Or, should I stick a wedge between the glass and the door panel and call it a day? Lol.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2iK1NRL]Window guide. 49713524558_d24f1e1d1a_m
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

Window guide. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Window guide.   Window guide. EmptySun Mar 29, 2020 5:59 pm

Your issue is the PO closing the door by pushing the window, most likely. Every car door with a frameless window treated that way will have that rattle eventually.

Look in the service manual for window adjustment instructions, and make sure the windows are properly adjusted in the first place. Sometimes the rattle can be adjusted back out.

Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

Window guide. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Window guide.   Window guide. EmptySun Mar 29, 2020 6:05 pm

Thanks Albert, my mechanic showed it to me but maybe I can bring it to a glass guy who can adjust it because I certainly can't. once I show him the picture he should know if there's an adjustment but I guess that means the part is not available anymore?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

Window guide. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Window guide.   Window guide. EmptyMon Mar 30, 2020 11:47 am

carguy8888 wrote:
Thanks Albert, my mechanic showed it to me but maybe I can bring it to a glass guy who can adjust it because I certainly can't. once I show him the picture he should know if there's an adjustment but I guess that means the part is not available anymore?

It isn't that complex.

If you take the interior door panel off, the tracks and so forth are obvious and not too tough to reach, be careful though because the edges of the openings are really really sharp. Refer to teh factory service manual regarding the screws hidden in the door pull. There also should be screws at the leading and trailing edges of the door, at the top.
And another hidden behind a cover in the opening for the door remote handle. At this age, the water barrier will likely be brittle and require replacement. Closed cell foam sheet or neoprene-impregnated fabric will work, you'll need some 3M Strip Calk to fasten it.
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

Window guide. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Window guide.   Window guide. EmptyMon Mar 30, 2020 1:38 pm

Now that you tell me it is adjustable, I will bring the car to a good glass guy because I would make it worse.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

Window guide. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Window guide.   Window guide. EmptyMon Mar 30, 2020 3:04 pm

carguy8888 wrote:
Now that you tell me it is adjustable, I will bring the car to a good glass guy because I would make it worse.

Yes, the windows are adjustable as to how far inward they lean, forward/rear tilt, and positioning fore/aft. If they are positioned properly they will run smoothly in the guides.

The problem your glass guy will have has to do with the condition of the moisture/noise barrier. By this time they are all awful. Offer to pay him to replace it if needed, instead of taping your old one back together.
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

Window guide. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Window guide.   Window guide. EmptyMon Mar 30, 2020 3:11 pm

Great information as usual Albert. As a side note the vibration coming from my front end was a defective new strut mount. The car rides insane now for the little bit I was able to drive it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Window guide. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Window guide.   Window guide. Empty

Back to top Go down

Window guide.
Page 1 of 1