Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Custom Rear Lateral Adjustment Arms/Links???

Go down 
+13
AA
Hometown Hero
97 park ave
Abaddon
Mr.Riviera
BMD
Jason
Rickw
albertj
duckstu
robotennis61
jax95riv
97rivman
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
RidzRiv
Addict
RidzRiv

Name : Greg
Merit : 17

Custom Rear Lateral Adjustment Arms/Links??? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Rear Lateral Adjustment Arms/Links???   Custom Rear Lateral Adjustment Arms/Links??? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 6:28 pm

Didn't the sts strut tower brace not fit on the 95?
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Custom Rear Lateral Adjustment Arms/Links???   Custom Rear Lateral Adjustment Arms/Links??? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 6:50 pm

i dont recall seeing that.
I had to do some work on mine to make it fit but for $40 and some hammer time its well worth it.

Back to top Go down
Derek
Fanatic

Name : Derek
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Custom Rear Lateral Adjustment Arms/Links???   Custom Rear Lateral Adjustment Arms/Links??? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 8:54 pm

According to the thread on stb's (and from my own experience) they do fit on the 95's, but only with heavy modifications. Not only will you need to stack washers to clear the master cylinder, but you will also have to grind out the mounting holes almost all the way to the edge. I decided not to go ahead with it but others with 95's have had good luck with it.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: Custom Rear Lateral Adjustment Arms/Links???   Custom Rear Lateral Adjustment Arms/Links??? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 10:08 pm

RidzRiv wrote:
Do these fit our cars? and has anybody bought them?

http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_prix/products1.php?id=1175&catid=138

I'd think you could phone ZZP and ask the dimensions of the arms. If they match the ones on the Riv that'd be great. GM being GM they just might. Also, if they don't fit whoever's making them for ZZP might make them for you. Finally, someone else on this site posted infor for welding up your own using steel stock from Lowe's.

Happy trailing...

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Lisa P

Name : Lisa P
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Rear tie rod ends for a 1997 base.   Custom Rear Lateral Adjustment Arms/Links??? - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 19, 2012 3:02 pm

These ends are exactly what I'm looking for...ANYONE ever find a source for them? If I tired the MOOG universal outer tie rod ends...can I get a read how to measure for these.

Have new shocks, front tie rod ends, rotors & pads all the way around. (Right front link was broken that has been replaced.) What a difference in the way the car rides! I'm amazed. Love to get the back rear adjustable links and ends if not need the ends! Thank you for any help...much appreciated.

Lisa P 1997, base, 78,000 miles.
Back to top Go down
Lisa P

PostSubject: Re: Custom Rear Lateral Adjustment Arms/Links???   Custom Rear Lateral Adjustment Arms/Links??? - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 12:07 pm

Found them & ordered them (tie rod ends)

http://www.oemparts123.com

will post pictures as far as I can see they are as rare as Bigfoot.
Back to top Go down
Lisa P

PostSubject: Re: Custom Rear Lateral Adjustment Arms/Links???   Custom Rear Lateral Adjustment Arms/Links??? - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 2:08 pm

No! The order canceled..the part is discontinued. RATS! Going to call MOOG.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Custom Rear Lateral Adjustment Arms/Links???   Custom Rear Lateral Adjustment Arms/Links??? - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 4:03 pm

Lisa P wrote:
No! The order canceled..the part is discontinued. RATS! Going to call MOOG.

...you might wanna call a distributor/jobber that also carries other lines.

a MOOG distributor's cat page is here

http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/Universal_Outer_Tie_Rod_Ends.asp

good luck

PS what do you want to bet that ends that will work might come right out of the GM parts bin, off a '92 Caprice or some such...
Back to top Go down
Lisa P

PostSubject: Re: Custom Rear Lateral Adjustment Arms/Links???   Custom Rear Lateral Adjustment Arms/Links??? - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 4:49 pm

I've tried that link thanks Albert. Don't have a clue how to measure to get the right part tried to get them to answer me not very helpful. Maybe I need to be a guy....(LOL) .. is the 1998 rear adjusting links the same as the 1997?

I'm calling junk yards and kids they are crushing these cars left and right so heads up! My next move is to locate the rear adjustable links and ends and if the rubber ends are bad find replacements for them... IF they made on they made two.

Gosh I'm possessed..I mean you don't want to play scavenger hunt with me..... Crazy woman here wish me luck... I drove these cars new in 1995 & 1998 have spent almost $300 just getting the smoke smell out (finally its almost gone) I am so enjoying the car even though its a base she is still way fun to drive!

Lisa P 1997 Sliver metallic /grey leather interior, 78,000 miles as we speak.... cool
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Custom Rear Lateral Adjustment Arms/Links???   Custom Rear Lateral Adjustment Arms/Links??? - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 9:57 pm

Lisa P wrote:
I've tried that link thanks Albert. Don't have a clue how to measure to get the right part tried to get them to answer me not very helpful. Maybe I need to be a guy....(LOL) .. is the 1998 rear adjusting links the same as the 1997?

I'm calling junk yards and kids they are crushing these cars left and right so heads up! My next move is to locate the rear adjustable links and ends and if the rubber ends are bad find replacements for them... IF they made on they made two.

Gosh I'm possessed..I mean you don't want to play scavenger hunt with me..... Crazy woman here wish me luck... I drove these cars new in 1995 & 1998 have spent almost $300 just getting the smoke smell out (finally its almost gone) I am so enjoying the car even though its a base she is still way fun to drive!

Lisa P 1997 Sliver metallic /grey leather interior, 78,000 miles as we speak.... cool

Getting smoke smell out - if the foam in headliner is good use Purple Power cleaner straight instead of shampoo in any major brand carpet shampooer, the kind with attachments - use the shampooer attachment to spray it on and suck it out. This is at your own risk because with the age of these cars odds are the foam is dried out and won't survive the cleaning. Be sure to cover areas 100% so you don't leave streaks - PP works very well, you will be able to see the "clean" stripe immediately on the first pass. On the carpet use the same stuff. On the seats use saddle soap strictly per label directions, or use the foam that you can make if you lather Murphy's Oil Soap or **unscented** Dr Bronner's soap in water. (don't use the liquid on the seats, just use only the foam) The unstated point is that to get rid of the smoke smell all you really have to do is remove the smoke residue and with Purple Power you can do the job for about $20.00 only (a gallon of the stuff is around $7 - $10 on sale, less than $20 in any event) and some elbow grease. $300 should get you a new headliner but if it was just recovered and not stripped/replaced the problem is that the smell will eventually come back.

Rear links. No offense intended by the following, so I'll say I'm sorry in advance: The issue I am having is that it feels to me that you are not so much trying to find links at all, as you are trying to find links off a scrapped/wrecked car, for cheap, that are in good shape. You already know where to get replacement lateral arms... I don't blame you at all for shopping for a deal -- but I'm not gonna play scavenger hunt with you, I am sure you are way better at it than I will ever be... So.. before I go silent on this topic (I am going silent) I'll just say I'm thinking you might want to try a different approach. Again, you already know you can get links - so - think about it this way - at what rate you bill your time out at/are paid at , be it $10 or $50 or $100 per hour or whatever, how many hours do you need to burn use up before it equals the price of a new link? and how many hours can you reliably drive the car with the bad ones? It can be a lot of money - but if you clean them up and POR-15 or epoxy paint them right it's a one-time purchase. As for measuring, it seems to me that by now someone as deep in the business as you are would have used the pictures to come up with a near match and a caliper to figure out how big the bolts/holes are on both ends of the link end.

Good luck, again no offense but I don't think I can add value here, and I think you have a lot to offer this community so hang in there.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Custom Rear Lateral Adjustment Arms/Links???   Custom Rear Lateral Adjustment Arms/Links??? - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 10:06 pm

it is my opinion that LisaP is a bot. or she is tring to generate business for the most bogus of car part web sites.
any dummy by now would have realized that there is no way in hell that any of the parts, she,so called expert in "Partfindology" found will even fit at all.
..and if lisap is a real partfinder,i sure as hell dont want her handling my car or anything related to my slim wallet.
she couldnt find a urinal in Madison Square garden mens locker room.

Foul!
Back to top Go down
Lisa P

PostSubject: Re: Custom Rear Lateral Adjustment Arms/Links???   Custom Rear Lateral Adjustment Arms/Links??? - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 10:47 am

Wow... why would you say that? Really???? I did find some links at Parts Geek and Maybe Moog has the universal rear tie rod ends that fit checking. What is with the "FOUL" ? Comment ?

Know what you remind me of? All the guys at the repair counters that talk down to women.

Why...because I don't know the terminology?

These parts are called: Tie rods, links ,adjustable links, ends, rear links, rear rods, trailing arms. trailing rods....

I've just had $1000 worth of repairs done to my car and it was not done at that shop. I will continue to post and lurk here... I have much better understanding of how my car works. Thank you to all that have help. As for you robotennis ever hear ...THAT if you can't say something nice..... nervous
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Custom Rear Lateral Adjustment Arms/Links???   Custom Rear Lateral Adjustment Arms/Links??? - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 10:52 am

Lisa P wrote:
As for you robotennis ever hear ...THAT if you can't say something nice..... nervous

I don't think robo ever heard that twisted
Back to top Go down
Lisa P

PostSubject: Re: Custom Rear Lateral Adjustment Arms/Links???   Custom Rear Lateral Adjustment Arms/Links??? - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 10:55 am

Just re read the last few post's and NO the part is not available any more..called the small dealership to where I bought the car to see if any other GM dealer had them..na da nothing links are discontinued even if I wanted to pay $280 each its a no go. Sure I'd like to find them as an after market part.....

Thanks for all the help guys I'll be sure to check back and see what else is posted. bow
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Custom Rear Lateral Adjustment Arms/Links???   Custom Rear Lateral Adjustment Arms/Links??? - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 8:40 pm

Lisa P wrote:
Just re read the last few post's and NO the part is not available any more..called the small dealership to where I bought the car to see if any other GM dealer had them..na da nothing links are discontinued even if I wanted to pay $280 each its a no go. Sure I'd like to find them as an after market part.....

Thanks for all the help guys I'll be sure to check back and see what else is posted. bow

Like,duh! i told you that several posts ago!
typical broad
Back to top Go down
Lisa P

PostSubject: FOUND IT AT MADISON SQUARE GARDEN!   Custom Rear Lateral Adjustment Arms/Links??? - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 3:34 pm

Quote :
it is my opinion that LisaP is a bot. or she is tring to generate business for the most bogus of car part web sites.
any dummy by now would have realized that there is no way in hell that any of the parts, she,so called expert in "Partfindology" found will even fit at all.
..and if lisap is a real partfinder,i sure as hell dont want her handling my car or anything related to my slim wallet.
she couldnt find a urinal in Madison Square garden mens locker room.

FOUND THEM ...had to fly into NY but boy are they pretty!
https://i.servimg.com/u/f37/16/67/12/77/found_14.jpg
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Custom Rear Lateral Adjustment Arms/Links???   Custom Rear Lateral Adjustment Arms/Links??? - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 3:42 pm

...yeah..pretty ugly lmfao
Back to top Go down
Lisa P

PostSubject: Re: Custom Rear Lateral Adjustment Arms/Links???   Custom Rear Lateral Adjustment Arms/Links??? - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 4:43 pm

Oh... I get it...you're the witty one. poop

Back to top Go down
Lisa P

PostSubject: Re: Custom Rear Lateral Adjustment Arms/Links???   Custom Rear Lateral Adjustment Arms/Links??? - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 12:21 pm

They're here! All the way from the men's locker room:

Custom Rear Lateral Adjustment Arms/Links??? - Page 3 New_li12
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Custom Rear Lateral Adjustment Arms/Links???   Custom Rear Lateral Adjustment Arms/Links??? - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 12:29 pm

clap finally.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Custom Rear Lateral Adjustment Arms/Links???   Custom Rear Lateral Adjustment Arms/Links??? - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Custom Rear Lateral Adjustment Arms/Links???
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3