Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Plastic Welding Center Cap Tabs

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

Plastic Welding Center Cap Tabs Empty
PostSubject: Plastic Welding Center Cap Tabs   Plastic Welding Center Cap Tabs EmptyThu Sep 23, 2021 4:24 pm

Plastic Welding Center Cap Tabs Tab-repair-01

Plastic Welding Center Cap Tabs Tab-repair-02

I finally had one go, so I tried to weld it back together again. I haven't tried putting it back on, since I'm currently monkeying around with the rear suspension, but it should work if it doesn't break when I put it back on. It may be too stiff now, not able to flex enough to go on without breaking. Or it may work fine. I'll let everyone know how it works out.

Here are the general instructions -

The chrome around the base of the tab has to be cut away. Use an X-acto or utility knife, and go in from the top. You have to get the blade between the chrome and the plastic, then you can twist the blade and peel it off. Be careful not to go past the base of the tab. You don't want the delamination to spread to the rest of the cap.

Clean the dirt and grime off the tab.

Hold the tab in place and tack weld across the crack. Just drag the tip of the iron across the crack and melt the tab back on.

I used the ABS plastic rod, and it worked well. The cap says it is a mix of ABS and something else. ABS alone appears to be close enough.

I put two layers across the back of the tab, which may be one too many. Than I melted through the front of the crack in the tab to make sure I got the new plastic in the back to attach good, at least in that area. I'm a little concerned about the new plastic delaminating, but I think it's fused well around the crack. Then I did the front layer. You can't put too much on there, since it has to snap over a ledge on the rim.

Maybe this repair will work and we'll be able to save these center caps.

Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Plastic Welding Center Cap Tabs   Plastic Welding Center Cap Tabs EmptyMon Sep 27, 2021 12:20 pm

Epoxy also works, for a while. The plastic weld should work better. I am not sure whether the tabs are ABS or PP.
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

PostSubject: Re: Plastic Welding Center Cap Tabs   Plastic Welding Center Cap Tabs EmptyMon Sep 27, 2021 1:06 pm

I have strengthened my tabs/clips with some kind of an epoxy glue many-many years ago WITHOUT THEM BEING BROKEN OR CRACKED EVEN.
Just to strengthen them in case.
I got the idea from here by the way.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Plastic Welding Center Cap Tabs   Plastic Welding Center Cap Tabs Empty

Back to top Go down

Plastic Welding Center Cap Tabs
Page 1 of 1