Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Modified Air Box CAI

Go down 
+8
EASHER
SuperRiv07
#1BearsFan
Buapo
SpaceBar
Jason
AA
dreww
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
curious riv
Addict
curious riv

Name : Chris
Merit : 3

Write-Up: Modified Air Box CAI - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Modified Air Box CAI   Write-Up: Modified Air Box CAI - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 07, 2008 11:51 am

Im not tryin to fool anybody, but I did something similar...
Write-Up: Modified Air Box CAI - Page 2 DSC00833-1-1
Write-Up: Modified Air Box CAI - Page 2 DSC00836
Write-Up: Modified Air Box CAI - Page 2 DSC00827
Write-Up: Modified Air Box CAI - Page 2 DSC00828
Write-Up: Modified Air Box CAI - Page 2 DSC00840-1
Write-Up: Modified Air Box CAI - Page 2 DSC00848
my goal was to get all my air from the fenderwell and none fm the engine compartment

Last edited by c-taylor-6 on Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : resizing)
Back to top Go down
curious riv
Addict
curious riv

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Modified Air Box CAI   Write-Up: Modified Air Box CAI - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 07, 2008 1:10 pm

uhhh... or is that wheelwell??? idk....
Back to top Go down
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
ewolfe0050

Name : Eric
Merit : 27

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Modified Air Box CAI   Write-Up: Modified Air Box CAI - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 07, 2008 1:54 pm

Here is my setup. I wanted to keep it original looking so people think I'm running stock.. wink (hope the IC, headers, and tiny pulley doesn't clue them in) It's not the prettiest thing but it draws plenty of air front the fender and keeps the engine heat out...

Write-Up: Modified Air Box CAI - Page 2 P1010115

Write-Up: Modified Air Box CAI - Page 2 P1010118

Write-Up: Modified Air Box CAI - Page 2 P1010116
Back to top Go down
curious riv
Addict
curious riv

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Modified Air Box CAI   Write-Up: Modified Air Box CAI - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 07, 2008 3:04 pm

Yeah Eric, my biggest concern was cutting into that piece of frame under the box. right there where your finger is. First i used a 5 1/2 hole saw and then took a litle more (the square shape)out.

Correct me if Im not understanding you right, Bill and Easher.
But if you dont block EVERY air hole on the clean side of the filter- YOU WILL KILL YOUR ENGINE W DIRT. If you put a filter at the bottom of the box you will have to seal off the stock airbox inlet.
Back to top Go down
curious riv
Addict
curious riv

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Modified Air Box CAI   Write-Up: Modified Air Box CAI - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 07, 2008 3:12 pm

I forgot t put these pics in there.
First I cut the box...
Write-Up: Modified Air Box CAI - Page 2 DSC00830
Then with the box in there, I traced it, and then cut the trace.
Write-Up: Modified Air Box CAI - Page 2 DSC00831
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Modified Air Box CAI   Write-Up: Modified Air Box CAI - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 07, 2008 3:14 pm

Eric, I'm surprised that flat panel hasn't folded in half under the amount of air flow your engine must pull. K&N must flow pretty well!

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
ewolfe0050

Name : Eric
Merit : 27

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Modified Air Box CAI   Write-Up: Modified Air Box CAI - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 07, 2008 3:21 pm

hahaha... I was trying to show the size of the hole in the photo that had my hand in it but it dosen't do it justice. It flows just as much air as the 4" short intake I had on. Keep in mind I removed the back of the stock airbox too so it draws not only from the bottom of the fenderwell but the side too. On my setup the limiting factor is the size of the TB. I am happy with the K&N but then again I haven't tried any others.
Back to top Go down
EASHER
EASHER

Name : ERIK M. ASHER
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Modified Air Box CAI   Write-Up: Modified Air Box CAI - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 10, 2008 11:26 am

curious riv wrote:
I forgot t put these pics in there.
First I cut the box...
Write-Up: Modified Air Box CAI - Page 2 DSC00830
Then with the box in there, I traced it, and then cut the trace.
Write-Up: Modified Air Box CAI - Page 2 DSC00831

I just did this same thing this morning but didn't block the side hole like you did.
I am going to do that as it makes sense.

I used a dremmel tool and about 10 cutting wheels to get through the metal.

The stock look is great and you can hear the S/C much better now. happy
Back to top Go down
http://snardfarker.ning.com/profile/ERIKMASHER
curious riv
Addict
curious riv

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Modified Air Box CAI   Write-Up: Modified Air Box CAI - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 10, 2008 12:35 pm

The sc sounds great on mine now that ive done that...
Now I just gotta replace the coupler- it'll sound better
Back to top Go down
#1BearsFan
Enthusiast
#1BearsFan

Name : Bill
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Modified Air Box CAI   Write-Up: Modified Air Box CAI - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 17, 2009 9:31 am

OK... I have consulted with my mechanic... what I am going to do is install a ram air scoop like has been done with some of the FWI's, but it will have a 4" hose that will go up into the bottom of my air box.
I am using plastic flex drain tube that I got at Lowes Home center.. ($4) and a dryer hose coupler on each end to hold the tube... ($2)
I fabbed my own scoop from a piece of 6" corrugated drain pipe that we will mount below.

The plan is to remove the airbox, cut it and mount the dryer hose coupler under the airbox. Then mount the scoop to the bottom (under car) panel and mount the other dryer coupler to the top of the panel. Then just connect the hose on both ends and.... viola..... no warm air from engine bay.... no pulling panels to change/clean FWI filter.... Just replace panel element in std airbox! I am getting this done on Monday, will upload some pics...
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Modified Air Box CAI   Write-Up: Modified Air Box CAI - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 17, 2009 11:14 am

I also have similar set up yet to be installed.
I planned on doing the fresh air duct installation along with the FWI when I install my Gen 5 and N* TB.
The only difference is I have a 3" hose and a NACA duct that I will install into the lower plastic panel.
The NACA duct allows for a flush mount air inlet and increases the velocity of the air by design.
The NACA duct was originally designed by aerospace / aircraft engineers for use in aircraft where you need to keep the surface smooth without anything protruding into the airstream. It has also been picked up for use in the automotive racing industry. You will notice them for example installed in the Plexiglas windows behind the drivers window opening in NASCAR for various air intakes.
Back to top Go down
#1BearsFan
Enthusiast
#1BearsFan

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Modified Air Box CAI   Write-Up: Modified Air Box CAI - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 17, 2009 1:37 pm

Well, I will let you know if i can feel a difference. I am quite sure I will hear the difference.
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Modified Air Box CAI   Write-Up: Modified Air Box CAI - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 17, 2009 9:54 pm

Bill and Rickw, if possible please post any pics and helpful info regarding your mods. It may help me out some day.

Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
#1BearsFan
Enthusiast
#1BearsFan

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Modified Air Box CAI   Write-Up: Modified Air Box CAI - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 18, 2009 8:39 am

Will do, the camera is in the car waiting for Monday 8am EST.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Modified Air Box CAI   Write-Up: Modified Air Box CAI - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Modified Air Box CAI
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2