Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Disconnecting the battery positive lead - any issues to be concerned with?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
RodneyRiviera
Amateur

Name : Rodney Beauchamp
Merit : 2

Disconnecting the battery positive lead - any issues to be concerned with? Empty
PostSubject: Disconnecting the battery positive lead - any issues to be concerned with?   Disconnecting the battery positive lead - any issues to be concerned with? EmptyWed Oct 18, 2023 1:12 am

Hi all,

Am wading through my todo list removing seat belts and had a problem with the solenoids on both front seat belt retractors getting warm, almost too hot to touch.

So as a last resort, I disconnected the POSITIVE lead on the battery.

Are there any issues doing this that I should be aware of? Am I going to lose or upset any of the programmed settings?

It may be disconnected for a month or two but if that length of time creates a problem then I can always reconnect it and run my battery tender.

Please let me know what I am running into? bonk bonk bonk

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

Disconnecting the battery positive lead - any issues to be concerned with? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Disconnecting the battery positive lead - any issues to be concerned with?   Disconnecting the battery positive lead - any issues to be concerned with? EmptyWed Oct 18, 2023 12:08 pm

IIRC you are supposed to disconnect the negative, or negative first if doing both.

The only problem I've had with disconnecting my battery is having to reset the clock afterwards. You'll likely lose your seat settings too.
Back to top Go down
RodneyRiviera
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: Disconnecting the battery positive lead - any issues to be concerned with?   Disconnecting the battery positive lead - any issues to be concerned with? EmptyWed Oct 18, 2023 1:50 pm

Jack the R wrote:
IIRC you are supposed to disconnect the negative, or negative first if doing both.  

The only problem I've had with disconnecting my battery is having to reset the clock afterwards.  You'll likely lose your seat settings too.  

Thanks. I will remember that for future use. Clock and seat settings are no big deal. Gather the reverse is true, to connect the NEGATIVE last?
Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀Disconnecting the battery positive lead - any issues to be concerned with? Img_6412
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Disconnecting the battery positive lead - any issues to be concerned with?   Disconnecting the battery positive lead - any issues to be concerned with? EmptyWed Oct 18, 2023 4:38 pm

That's how I was told to do it by forum owner AA. I keep the negative terminal on my lawnmower battery disconnected when not in use, haven't had any problems with it.

Incidentally, I keep my Riviera on a trickle charger when not in use. It's really good at running the battery down. The Optima Charger I use came with a plug-in lead that attaches to the battery, so you don't have to mess with alligator clips. Unfortunately the passenger side window must be left down to charge the battery.
Back to top Go down
RodneyRiviera
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: Disconnecting the battery positive lead - any issues to be concerned with?   Disconnecting the battery positive lead - any issues to be concerned with? EmptyWed Oct 18, 2023 6:59 pm

Jack the R wrote:
That's how I was told to do it by forum owner AA.  I keep the negative terminal on my lawnmower battery disconnected when not in use, haven't had any problems with it.

Incidentally, I keep my Riviera on a trickle charger when not in use.  It's really good at running the battery down.  The Optima Charger I use came with a plug-in lead that attaches to the battery, so you don't have to mess with alligator clips.    Unfortunately the passenger side window must be left down to charge the battery.    

Thanks for that. The battery tender (trickle charger) was one of the first things added. Picked up the Positive post under the hood and a ground stud nearby. Lead is permanently attached and I just plug and unplug the charger as required. Did that on my other Buicks and worked well. Certainly increases the battery life in my opinion.

Rodney Disconnecting the battery positive lead - any issues to be concerned with? Img_2511
Disconnecting the battery positive lead - any issues to be concerned with? Img_2510
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Disconnecting the battery positive lead - any issues to be concerned with?   Disconnecting the battery positive lead - any issues to be concerned with? EmptyWed Oct 18, 2023 8:42 pm

The tender ought to increase the battery life - it spends long enough "conditioning" the battery before it begins charging.

I thought about going to the terminal under the hood. The charge cable might even be long enough to reach into the trunk. I can't think of a place where I could put it that wouldn't involve opening anything though. Well if I removed the antenna I could put the trickle charger cable in that hole . . .
Back to top Go down
RodneyRiviera
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: Disconnecting the battery positive lead - any issues to be concerned with?   Disconnecting the battery positive lead - any issues to be concerned with? EmptyWed Oct 18, 2023 10:10 pm

Jack the R wrote:
The tender ought to increase the battery life - it spends long enough "conditioning" the battery before it begins charging.

I thought about going to the terminal under the hood.  The charge cable might even be long enough to reach into the trunk.  I can't think of a place where I could put it that wouldn't involve opening anything though.  Well if I removed the antenna I could put the trickle charger cable in that hole . . .    

Under the hood was easy for me given the POSITIVE terminal there. I didn’t want to be fiddling with the door open running a lead under the rear seat. And so far it seems to be working as the fully charged lights always come on once the initial charge finishes.

And with a thick cloth on the hood latch prevents that from closing making you always remember to unplug it. Suppose I also used to it with the other Buicks, only adds a minute or two to the starting. Besides it won’t be used everyday!
frown bounce
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

PostSubject: Re: Disconnecting the battery positive lead - any issues to be concerned with?   Disconnecting the battery positive lead - any issues to be concerned with? EmptyWed Oct 18, 2023 11:54 pm

My battery also recently died. I usually keep it disconnected ( only the positive terminal ) but started getting lazy and thought once ..." if I'm restarting the car once a week ,it shouldn't be a problem to keep it connected all the time "... Then started noticing, each time I was starting the engine the actual ignition started getting harder and harder. Now the battery is dead 😁. 1 year old.
Back to top Go down
RodneyRiviera
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: Disconnecting the battery positive lead - any issues to be concerned with?   Disconnecting the battery positive lead - any issues to be concerned with? EmptyThu Oct 19, 2023 2:54 am

stan wrote:
My battery also recently died. I usually keep it disconnected ( only  the positive terminal ) but started getting lazy and thought once ..." if I'm restarting the car once a week ,it shouldn't be a problem to keep it connected all the time "... Then started noticing, each time I was starting the engine the actual ignition started getting harder and harder. Now the battery is dead 😁. 1 year old.

bonk bonk bonk
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Disconnecting the battery positive lead - any issues to be concerned with?   Disconnecting the battery positive lead - any issues to be concerned with? Empty

Back to top Go down

Disconnecting the battery positive lead - any issues to be concerned with?
Page 1 of 1