Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Pioneer 1770NEX Carplay Install Thread

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
ADDvanced

Name : ADDvanced
Merit : 5

Pioneer 1770NEX Carplay Install Thread Empty
PostSubject: Pioneer 1770NEX Carplay Install Thread   Pioneer 1770NEX Carplay Install Thread EmptyWed Mar 27, 2024 8:17 pm

Hey boys,

so after beating my head against the wall and trying to solve the weird random volume skyrocketing or all the way down and failing, I decided to lobotomize the factory deck and install one that I have in my lifted AWD astro van, that I've been very happy with.   It's a Pioneer DMH-1770NEX, and I've had it in my Astro for over a year, and I love it.  The screen is capacitive touch, which works great, the carplay works awesome, Waze is invaluable for avoiding speeding tickets, and it sounds awesome.  It also has options to play movies if you bypass the parking brake (I only do this in nebraska at night), the option to install a backup camera, bluetooth phone calls, and if you have an android you can do mirroring.  

Anyway, here is the link; brand new they are $300 but for $200 you can get a factory reconditioned unit, which is what this is and it looks brand new:

https://amzn.to/4acvDyn

I'll post pics as I get it installed, today I just wired up the adaptor harness (link: https://amzn.to/3TUGEyr) and wired everything up using these quick easy solder connectors (link: https://amzn.to/49d8tqe). Nice thing is, idk about other years, but I read that the HVAC buttons will no longer dim with the rest of the dash, but in my 95 anyway, it works fine, so that issue is avoided.

I am now looking into getting the steering wheel controls to work, it looks liek there are a few adaptors so I'll be exploring that in my next post.
Back to top Go down
ADDvanced

PostSubject: Re: Pioneer 1770NEX Carplay Install Thread   Pioneer 1770NEX Carplay Install Thread EmptyThu Mar 28, 2024 4:44 pm

Pioneer 1770NEX Carplay Install Thread Img_9711

Update:  Ordered the Axxess ASWC-1 steering wheel adaptor, installed it about 30 minutes ago.   Install was easy, it was 2 ground wires, a power wire, and tapping into the factory harness in one spot. I just used one of those vampire taps, worked perfect. Setup was easy, just turned the car on, then held the volume up button. That's it!

So now the Volume Up/Down works, and the next/previous buttons work, and the temp button does NOT work. It instead acts as a "mute" button, both temp up and temp down. What I don't understand is that the factory harness was never cut, so you'd think the temp function would still work.

On the left, there is the program/band button, and it does nothing. This thing is programmable, but I'm not sure what function I'd want that button to do, to be honest.

I ordered an antenna adaptor to hook up the antenna, and I am planning on installing 2 rocker switches under the dash, one to disable the power antenna, and the other to trick the deck into thinking the parking brake is on. More later, cheers!
Back to top Go down
ADDvanced

PostSubject: Re: Pioneer 1770NEX Carplay Install Thread   Pioneer 1770NEX Carplay Install Thread EmptyFri Apr 26, 2024 12:17 pm

It's been a bit.  I restored a boat, my father died, and been going through a lot.  Back to the Riv.

One thing I realized when I put the dash on, is that the factory HU is some oddball size.  It's shorter in height than double din, but narrower in width.  You can see gaps next to the pioneer in the image below, I will be filling that with something, not sure yet.

For mounting, I removed the factory radio mount sheet metal, and hacked the back of it so that the wiring to the new stereo would fit.  Then I attached the radio to the steel mount w VHB temporarily to make sure it was in the right position.  I used the old HU to estimate the depth it should be mounted, tried to keep the face plate the same depth.

I had to smash out the plastic behind the radio for more clearance for the wiring harness, a screwdriver and a hammer made it come pretty quickly.  Behind that plastic piece was a duct of some kind, so I'm not sure I can make it deeper.

Before bolting it in, I wanted to run the USB cable down to where the factory CD player is and install a storage pocket.  After removing the ashtray/cd player surround (use a small flathead and pry), I removed the CD player with two screws, and then wound up disassembling the CD player itself.  I basically 'gutted' the CD player, so I was left with a metal cage, and the factory CD player metal mount.  This allowed me to slip the storage pocket INTO the CD player 'cage'.  Again it was some trial an error to get the depth correct, but here is where I am at right now

Pioneer 1770NEX Carplay Install Thread Rivins10

More updates later.
Back to top Go down
three4rd

Name : Keith
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Pioneer 1770NEX Carplay Install Thread   Pioneer 1770NEX Carplay Install Thread EmptyMon May 13, 2024 3:56 pm

That's so cool! But admittedly the electrical work, etc. is a bit over my head. So the unit you put in has navigation, but then has no audio functionality, right? I'm more interested in playing music although navigation would be great! Saves having to have my wife always work with the phone whenever we're driving in the Riv and want to follow a map or instructions. Looks like it fits perfectly.
Back to top Go down
ADDvanced

PostSubject: Re: Pioneer 1770NEX Carplay Install Thread   Pioneer 1770NEX Carplay Install Thread EmptyFri May 17, 2024 2:37 pm

It was straight forward electrically; you just use the metra kit to wire the pioneer harness into the adaptor that fits the buick harness. The tricky part was getting it to sit correctly. I will be doing a video on it eventually.
Back to top Go down
three4rd

PostSubject: Re: Pioneer 1770NEX Carplay Install Thread   Pioneer 1770NEX Carplay Install Thread EmptyFri May 17, 2024 4:40 pm

ADDvanced wrote:
It was straight forward electrically; you just use the metra kit to wire the pioneer harness into the adaptor that fits the buick harness.   The tricky part was getting it to sit correctly.  I will be doing a video on it eventually.

All I'm really interested in is replacing my original radio / cassette player with one that works - preferably also with a CD player. I've found several. From everything I'm reading and being told, it seems that as long as it's a double DIN size, it should fit in the existing opening.
Back to top Go down
ADDvanced

PostSubject: Re: Pioneer 1770NEX Carplay Install Thread   Pioneer 1770NEX Carplay Install Thread EmptySat May 18, 2024 11:08 am

It sort of does NOT fit though, only the 96+ rivs were true double din. 95 is some oddball size that is extra stupid; if you look closely at the pics I posted there is a 3/4" gap on both sides, and I had to shim the whole thing downwards a bit to get it to fit the opening
Back to top Go down
three4rd

PostSubject: Re: Pioneer 1770NEX Carplay Install Thread   Pioneer 1770NEX Carplay Install Thread EmptySat May 18, 2024 11:33 am

ADDvanced wrote:
It sort of does NOT fit though, only the 96+ rivs were true double din.  95 is some oddball size that is extra stupid; if you look closely at the pics I posted there is a 3/4" gap on both sides, and I had to shim the whole thing downwards a bit to get it to fit the opening

Oh, well that's a 'horse of a different color' then. I'm glad you mentioned this. Not sure now if I want to proceed or not.  I don't care all that much for the idea of some sort of shimming, etc. to take up extra space that might not look like it all matches up real well. I see the spaces around the edges - had not looked real close before. 3/4" inches is a pretty sizable gap. Darn, just when I thought it sounded like a double DIN would fill the space (without the need for whatever would be necessary to account for gaps). I'll have to maybe re-think all this.

So the Pioneer unit you installed is exactly a double DIN (?) I don't see anything specifically mentioning that in the Amazon link. So if it is, though, I'd have the same issues you described if purchasing any double DIN radio / cassette unit as to it being a bit off in both height and width dimensions.

Bummer. It was a cool idea anyway, unless it could be made to look like it pretty much belonged in there from the factory. At some point I'm still planning to sell the car to a guy who's been interested in it the past few years but not sure how much his offer hinges on it all being original or at least unaltered.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: Pioneer 1770NEX Carplay Install Thread   Pioneer 1770NEX Carplay Install Thread EmptySat May 18, 2024 12:21 pm

three4rd wrote:
ADDvanced wrote:
It was straight forward electrically; you just use the metra kit to wire the pioneer harness into the adaptor that fits the buick harness.   The tricky part was getting it to sit correctly.  I will be doing a video on it eventually.

All I'm really interested in is replacing my original radio / cassette player with one that works - preferably also with a CD player. I've found several. From everything I'm reading and being told, it seems that as long as it's a double DIN size, it should fit in the existing opening.

Most (but not all) of the double din aftermarket radio/cd units are too deep (why I'm not sure) and you will have to cut out part of the dash "bucket" that the radio sits in. Which invites but does not guarantee squeaks/rattles. You will find rebuilt Delco radios that fit and work 100% for $150 or less, sometimes much less. Try to find out the trade-offs (depth, working with steering wheel controls or not, etc.) so that you are not surprised.

I got this confused with posts about the 96 and later radios.

Somewhere else on this site there are writeups of 1.5 DIN units going in the dashes of 95s. The steering wheel controls can be a headache with aftermarket units. Even with adapters, so tread carefully. . Rebuilt 1.5 DIN units are not that hard to come by.

Last edited by albertj on Sat May 18, 2024 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

three4rd likes this post

Back to top Go down
three4rd

PostSubject: Re: Pioneer 1770NEX Carplay Install Thread   Pioneer 1770NEX Carplay Install Thread EmptySat May 18, 2024 12:26 pm

What about this one?  https://www.ebay.com/itm/116110408078   Being that it specifically says it's a Delco.

Update: Heard back from this seller. He said it won't fit and also has the wrong plug. He also said players that fit a '95 are really hard to find, let alone in working condition. I think I'm about ready to can this idea.

Last edited by three4rd on Sat May 18, 2024 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
three4rd

PostSubject: Re: Pioneer 1770NEX Carplay Install Thread   Pioneer 1770NEX Carplay Install Thread EmptySat May 18, 2024 1:13 pm

This one would definitely fit since the guy said he pulled it from a '95. NO idea how the CD player managed to fit in there yet. Not sure if he's selling them together or maybe separately. I sent a message. Overcharging for one thing, I'd say. https://www.ebay.com/itm/235485854387?mkpid=0&emsid=e11051.m43.l1123&ch=osgood&euid=15be436c80dd440a83751d590e4511e8&bu=43148034590&osub=-1%7E1&crd=20240513183446&segname=11051
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Pioneer 1770NEX Carplay Install Thread   Pioneer 1770NEX Carplay Install Thread EmptySat May 18, 2024 1:22 pm

three4rd wrote:
What about this one?  https://www.ebay.com/itm/116110408078   Being that it specifically says it's a Delco.

Update:  Heard back from this seller. He said it won't fit and also has the wrong plug. He also said players that fit a '95 are really hard to find, let alone in working condition.  I think I'm about ready to can this idea.

If you pull your old radio, United Radio in NY will almost certainly be able to rebuild it.

That radio is for the double dins and won't fit in the 95s without substantial modifications.

Isn't this more like what you're looking for:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/296126159087
Back to top Go down
three4rd

PostSubject: Re: Pioneer 1770NEX Carplay Install Thread   Pioneer 1770NEX Carplay Install Thread EmptySat May 18, 2024 1:30 pm

You're referring to the earlier Delco radio I found on eBay. Agreed - that one would take work to get it in. The one I listed after that, however, which a guy specifically pulled from a '95, would likely fit without any modifications. So would this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/334623724792?itmmeta=01HY6CCKNNKW6HDBE8HJRKP180&hash=item4de920d4f8:g:ji8AAOSwwhxjbWnw
Back to top Go down
three4rd

PostSubject: Re: Pioneer 1770NEX Carplay Install Thread   Pioneer 1770NEX Carplay Install Thread EmptySat May 18, 2024 1:41 pm

"If you pull your old radio, United Radio in  NY will almost certainly be able to rebuild  it."   I have no doubt, but unless I'm going to do the work myself to get it out - which I didn't plan to - it'd mean two separate visits to the shop. In the meantime, while it's being sent out for repair (how much would all that cost I wonder?), sorta hate to drive around with the dashboard hanging loose, though I'm sure they could partially reassemble temporarily while waiting for the radio to come back. I think I'd rather have a unit that fits and works and then simply have the shop swap one for the other - doing all the work at one time.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Pioneer 1770NEX Carplay Install Thread   Pioneer 1770NEX Carplay Install Thread EmptySat May 18, 2024 4:33 pm

three4rd wrote:
"If you pull your old radio, United Radio in  NY will almost certainly be able to rebuild  it."   I have no doubt, but unless I'm going to do the work myself to get it out - which I didn't plan to - it'd mean two separate visits to the shop. In the meantime, while it's being sent out for repair (how much would all that cost I wonder?), sorta hate to drive around with the dashboard hanging loose, though I'm sure they could partially reassemble temporarily while waiting for the radio to come back. I think I'd rather have a unit that fits and works and then simply have the shop swap one for the other - doing all the work at one time.

sounds workable

I was pretty anxious the first time I pulled my dash, until about 1/2 way through I started laughing. It's not that difficult. It's just that GMs designers set things up to reduce parts count to eliminate sources of noise and vibration. So you have this big ol' panel to take off, have to open both doors to access the panel bolts.
Back to top Go down
ADDvanced

PostSubject: Re: Pioneer 1770NEX Carplay Install Thread   Pioneer 1770NEX Carplay Install Thread EmptySat May 18, 2024 6:19 pm

I drove around with no dashboard for 2 weeks without issue. Well. It did suck at night, the gauges reflected on the windshield without the dash.
Back to top Go down
three4rd

PostSubject: Re: Pioneer 1770NEX Carplay Install Thread   Pioneer 1770NEX Carplay Install Thread EmptySat May 18, 2024 7:08 pm

albertj wrote:
three4rd wrote:

sounds workable

I was pretty anxious the first time I pulled my dash, until about 1/2 way through I started laughing.  It's not that difficult.  It's just that GMs designers set things up to reduce parts count to eliminate sources of noise and vibration. So you have this big ol' panel to take off, have to open both doors to access the panel bolts.

Well, I must say that I had completely removed and replaced an engine in my 70's Cub Cadet garden tractor which necessitated taking lots of stuff off before even getting at the engine. It required taking copious notes and pictures along the way though, putting parts in separate bags and labeling them according to my notes, etc. Disassembly can often be easy. Putting things back together is the harder part. I'll have to review the video that I came across (or else was suggested here...not sure anymore) and see what I think. It would be a cool project. Then I could send the radio away and not have to worry about involving my auto repair shop, unless the radio is difficult to get in and out.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Pioneer 1770NEX Carplay Install Thread   Pioneer 1770NEX Carplay Install Thread EmptySat May 18, 2024 9:48 pm

three4rd wrote:
albertj wrote:
three4rd wrote:

sounds workable

I was pretty anxious the first time I pulled my dash, until about 1/2 way through I started laughing.  It's not that difficult.  It's just that GMs designers set things up to reduce parts count to eliminate sources of noise and vibration. So you have this big ol' panel to take off, have to open both doors to access the panel bolts.

Well, I must say that I had completely removed and replaced an engine in my 70's Cub Cadet garden tractor which necessitated taking lots of stuff off before even getting at the engine. It required taking copious notes and pictures along the way though, putting parts in separate bags and labeling them according to my notes, etc. Disassembly can often be easy. Putting things back together is the harder part. I'll have to review the video that I came across (or else was suggested here...not sure anymore) and see what I think. It would be a cool project. Then I could send the radio away and not have to worry about involving my auto repair shop, unless the radio is difficult to get in and out.

The service manual is very clear about how to remove/install the radio. I'm a little surprised you haven't a set yet.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
ADDvanced

PostSubject: Re: Pioneer 1770NEX Carplay Install Thread   Pioneer 1770NEX Carplay Install Thread EmptySun May 19, 2024 2:46 pm

Yeah it's not that bad. A few pop out plastic clips on the underside of the dash extension, remove that, remove 5-7 screws, remove top dash, remove side panels, then pop out dash. Not bad at all.

albertj and three4rd like this post

Back to top Go down
three4rd

PostSubject: Re: Pioneer 1770NEX Carplay Install Thread   Pioneer 1770NEX Carplay Install Thread EmptySun May 19, 2024 5:13 pm

ADDvanced wrote:
Yeah it's not that bad.   A few pop out plastic clips on the underside of the dash extension, remove that, remove 5-7 screws, remove top dash, remove side panels, then pop out dash.   Not bad at all.

This is tempting for sure. Can't be anywhere near as much work as the garden tractor!

Just came across an eBay seller (100% feedback) that claims he has a unit that'd fit mine based on my having given him the VIN number. Does that work? Unfortunately he said it's in his warehouse and would take too much time to locate it unless I definitely want to buy it. He said it will be new or factory refurbished in mint condition and will be unlocked  (?) and fully tested.

I'm a bit hesitant. Not big on buying anything sight unseen. I replied that maybe he can send a picture of an identical unit, and also would like to know exactly which car (and year) it came from.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pioneer 1770NEX Carplay Install Thread   Pioneer 1770NEX Carplay Install Thread Empty

Back to top Go down

Pioneer 1770NEX Carplay Install Thread
Page 1 of 1