Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer

Go down 
+19
rivparadise
TheReub
Abaddon
Eldo
Rickw
albertj
deekster_caddy
Mr.Riviera
Natesriv
LARRY70GS
BillBoost37
PCweber
T Riley
Jason
Fastfrankie
scott_in_mesa
SpaceBar
AA
turtleman
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

harmonic balancer - Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer Empty
PostSubject: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   harmonic balancer - Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer EmptyFri Sep 28, 2007 10:25 am

I got the crank bolt off (which wasn't too easy) and I can't get the pulley off. Chiltons says "The damper should pull off the crankshaft by hand."

Secondly, there's no way to mount a harmonic balancer puller or any puller anyway.
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   harmonic balancer - Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer EmptyFri Sep 28, 2007 1:55 pm

well I figured it out so here it is if anyone needs it in the future. Aaron.

need to get a standard harmonic balancer puller if you don't have it. (thankfully I had that) and three 1/4 bolts, ideally about 5 inches long.

harmonic balancer - Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer DSC02089
99c for 6 at Menards

harmonic balancer - Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer DSC02093
with the puller in place (you can use the washers that come with the puller), screw the 3 bolts in. You pretty much have to thread it so FYI - it's probly not gonna just screw right in without any effort.

harmonic balancer - Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer DSC02091
harmonic balancer - Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer DSC02092
There it is all ready to go. Ignore the white wires going through the balancer. That was the remnants of the first sorry attempt to get it off.
With this set up, it came off smooth with no problem at all.

This definitely cannot be done without a puller. The book is incorrect.

harmonic balancer - Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer DSC02094
harmonic balancer - Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer DSC02096
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   harmonic balancer - Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer EmptyFri Sep 28, 2007 2:09 pm

Thanx for the info, Codith!

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
SpaceBar
Aficionado
SpaceBar

Name : Patrick
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   harmonic balancer - Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer EmptySun Sep 30, 2007 9:16 am

We had lots of problems getting that off doing my cam. frown
Back to top Go down
http://community.webshots.com/user/xspacebarx
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   harmonic balancer - Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer EmptySun Sep 30, 2007 10:54 pm

SpaceBar wrote:
We had lots of problems getting that off doing my cam. frown

it's a piece of cake if you are on a lift and have 6 foot cheater bar with a 1/2in drive or bigger hardened socket. really a piece of cake. (I didn't have a lift quiet )
Back to top Go down
scott_in_mesa
Special

Name : Scott
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Is a non Std Puller req. for '97 Riv harmonic balancer - ?   harmonic balancer - Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer EmptyWed Nov 21, 2007 7:20 pm

My repairman says that the puller specified for the harmonic balancer on the '97 Rivera is not matching up to the holes on the harmonic balancer. Has anyone ever heard of this? If they try and pull it with the wrong tool it might (will) pull the out ring from the inner ring which will ruin it. $175 part!

Has anyone ideas on a special puller or ?

Please reply. Scott
Back to top Go down
Fastfrankie
Amateur

Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   harmonic balancer - Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer EmptyWed Nov 21, 2007 7:49 pm

No special puller. Your repairman is pulling your chain. I used a Craftsman standard harmonic balancer puller with three 4 or 5 inch long bolts purchased from Home Depot. Any harmonic balancer puller will work.

You better find another repairman...lol

Just a fyi - the harmonic balancer bolt torque is something like 110 foot pounds plus a 1/4 turn or something. Use loctite on the bolts and tighten it to 110 or 120 foot pounds and it aint coming off. Most balancer bolt torque is 100 foot pounds + on most cars with a bolt the same size as the 3800 one.

Since my air gun would not remove the bolt initially, I put a socket and ratchet on the bolt and rested the base of the ratchet on the k-frame of the car and then bumped the starter- bolt came right off.
Back to top Go down
Jason
Aficionado
Jason

Name : Jason
Merit : 65

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   harmonic balancer - Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer EmptyWed Nov 21, 2007 8:22 pm

A puller is required, but it is not special.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Doctor_Meltdown
scott_in_mesa
Special

Name : Scott
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   harmonic balancer - Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer EmptyWed Nov 21, 2007 8:56 pm

Thank you guys !!!

Happy THanksgiving
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   harmonic balancer - Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer EmptyMon Oct 19, 2009 9:19 pm

How do you get it back on?
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   harmonic balancer - Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer EmptyMon Oct 19, 2009 11:27 pm

98riviera98 wrote:

slide it on by hand and make sure it's lined up and then just tighten it down with the crank bolt. Also need to have the flywheel braced so you can torque it down
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   harmonic balancer - Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer EmptyMon Oct 19, 2009 11:32 pm

turtleman wrote:
98riviera98 wrote:

slide it on by hand and make sure it's lined up and then just tighten it down with the crank bolt. Also need to have the flywheel braced so you can torque it down

How did you brace the flywheel?
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   harmonic balancer - Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer EmptyMon Oct 19, 2009 11:38 pm

98riviera98 wrote:
turtleman wrote:
98riviera98 wrote:

How did you brace the flywheel?

With the plastic inspection cover off, you can use a small to medium sized vice-grip and postion it against the side it will be bracing against when you start turning the crank. Make sure you've got it nice and tight and somewhat squarely. Bigger vice-grip is better because you can get all the way around the teeth of the flywheel to grip the flywheel and not the actual teeth.
Back to top Go down
PCweber
Special

Name : Phil Weber

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   harmonic balancer - Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 12:35 am

As a note. Your pic of the 1/4 inch bolts show 1/4 -20 normal course thread bolts. Everything I have read (and also the 2 I have done) say the threads are fine 1/4- 28. Also, I picked up grade 8 bolts cause if you pull the threads out you are screwed bad. Very good pics and write up.
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

Merit : 26

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   harmonic balancer - Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer EmptyWed Oct 28, 2009 10:31 am

Technically speaking the proper thread of the bolts is M6 x 1.0. A 75mm or longer bolt is the proper length.

As for blocking the flywheel. There is a tool that most won't have. Another method of holding is a large screwdriver can be used on the teeth of the flywheel.
Back to top Go down
PCweber
Special

Name : Phil Weber

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   harmonic balancer - Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer EmptyWed Oct 28, 2009 10:48 am

I just pulled another HB last Sat. The 1/4- 28 work perfect as mentioned on 3800.com posts. Also, I just clamp a vice grip on the flywheel/ ring gear and let it wenge against the trans housing. It has always worked and you can do it all alone. You will need a BF cheeter bar on the breaker bar to break the crank bolt loose. No 1/2" drive impact I have has ever broke loose the crank HB bolt.
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

Merit : 26

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   harmonic balancer - Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer EmptyWed Oct 28, 2009 1:00 pm

Interesting. I've always had great success not blocking the flywheel and only using an impact. There were a couple of times it was close, but always worked out.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   harmonic balancer - Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer EmptyWed Oct 28, 2009 2:22 pm

If you put a long breaker bar on the crank bolt, and lay the end of the breaker bar on the concrete, the starter motor will break the bolt loose. Been doing that for years with the Buick V8's. Works like a charm. You just have to position the breaker bar on the correct side of the engine so that the rotation of the engine loosens the bolt.
Back to top Go down
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

Name : Nate
Merit : 16

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   harmonic balancer - Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer EmptySun Nov 01, 2009 7:53 pm

What makes a HB go bad? I mean, how do you know it's time to replace? I've a thread on this line about getting mine replanced, and a noise afterwards...but why would you replace a HB?????

Thanks guys!
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   harmonic balancer - Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer EmptySun Nov 01, 2009 8:17 pm

when my OEM one went the rubber part had cracks untill it finally went completely and the outer part would spin separate from the center.

On the second and 3rd time mine went out it was from shitty parts from advance auto and the center metal cracked apart.

Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   harmonic balancer - Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer EmptyMon Nov 02, 2009 6:17 am

Right. Nate, the harmonic balancer uses a rubber insulator between the piece which bolts to the crank, and the outer pulley. The insulator helps absorb crankshaft vibrations. Unfortunately it dries out over time and then you have a lot of rattling and clanging and throw belts and stuff. That's when it's time to replace the HB.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   harmonic balancer - Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer EmptyMon Nov 02, 2009 3:25 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:
Right. Nate, the harmonic balancer uses a rubber insulator between the piece which bolts to the crank, and the outer pulley. The insulator helps absorb crankshaft vibrations. Unfortunately it dries out over time and then you have a lot of rattling and clanging and throw belts and stuff. That's when it's time to replace the HB.

How many miles/years does it take for the HB to dry out?

Albertj
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   harmonic balancer - Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer EmptyMon Nov 02, 2009 4:42 pm

albertj wrote:
deekster_caddy wrote:

How many miles/years does it take for the HB to dry out?

Albertj

It varies a LOT. But any motor 'build' I would do to a 3800 today would probably include a new balancer.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   harmonic balancer - Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer EmptyMon Nov 02, 2009 4:47 pm

Albert, you have over 200k miles on your car.
Have you ever had to change the harmonic balancer due to failure.?
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   harmonic balancer - Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer EmptyMon Nov 02, 2009 5:11 pm

Mine went out at ~135k miles and the rest of my car is in pristine condition with 0 rust anywhere and garage kept most of its life. Dont know why mine decided to die other than it was 13yrs old at the time.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   harmonic balancer - Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next