Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge

Go down 
+73
RidzRiv
1997riv
bigdave
bmcd9179
stan
joshuadalegrimes
charlieRobinson
Fromano
matt270avian
Johnny5
al_roethlisberger
BKRIV
Rod.G
ghost88
rk0ehn
J. Chris Davis
GreenMonster
GreenSupreme
VJD2
7901mark
Snowdog
Its a car part now
GMFreak8
brmcm15
Hometown Hero
L67
Ryan from Ohio
LARRY70GS
96Super
robotennis61
texasfan010
woggy
Rickw
Fuzzy
rivboy
97rivsc
lyonsperformance
1wickedninja
SuperRiv07
gliderguy
agood1
deekster_caddy
albertj
Supercharged
blackbart95
99 Riviera 99
IBx1
palermocorey90
mr.19982tone
Jack the R
98riv
RIVhorsepwr
RivMan
okiedrifter
jimmyriv
AA
97rivman
RhinoFLA
urbsnspices
dreww
SpaceBar
NO 4 EVR
Jason
TType_Riviera
turtleman
pwmin
jax95riv
Mr.Riviera
oldsman105
1998 Riv
T Riley
77 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
TType_Riviera
Fanatic
TType_Riviera

Name : Rob
Merit : 0

Boost gauge - Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Boost gauge - Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 14, 2007 9:14 pm

hows come you want vac??
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2131502/1
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Boost gauge - Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 14, 2007 9:23 pm

TType_Riviera wrote:
hows come you want vac??
I just happen to have a vac. gauge already from my last car so i put it in. I can switch it to a boost very easily but i would have to buy a boost gauge so i'll do it later
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Boost gauge - Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 14, 2007 9:34 pm

So do u have a Line coming from that port now??
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Boost gauge - Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 14, 2007 10:10 pm

98riviera98 wrote:
So do u have a Line coming from that port now??

yes, i do
Back to top Go down
NO 4 EVR
Addict
NO 4 EVR

Name : Troy
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Boost gauge - Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 14, 2007 10:23 pm

So you hook the boost gauge where you hooked the vac guage? you just need a boost guage?
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Boost gauge - Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 14, 2007 10:40 pm

NO 4 EVR wrote:
So you hook the boost gauge where you hooked the vac guage? you just need a boost guage?

If you hook a boost gauge at that location, you would only read the vacuum, no boost. It is my understanding that the only boost connection would be under the nose of the s/c and you would have to throw in a T to connect it
Back to top Go down
NO 4 EVR
Addict
NO 4 EVR

Name : Troy
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Boost gauge - Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 14, 2007 10:42 pm

I see... thanks
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Boost gauge - Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 01, 2007 1:39 pm

Boost gauge - Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 2 Boostcover

just pretty much did the boost gauge switch

and also got a wheel cover that matches perfectly smile
Back to top Go down
SpaceBar
Aficionado
SpaceBar

Name : Patrick
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Boost gauge - Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 08, 2007 4:51 pm

Where did you get that wheel cover?
Back to top Go down
http://community.webshots.com/user/xspacebarx
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Boost gauge - Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 2 EmptyTue May 22, 2007 12:31 am

SpaceBar wrote:
Where did you get that wheel cover?

sorry old thread but i got it at murrays discount auto parts
Back to top Go down
dreww
Junkie
dreww

Merit : 9

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Boost gauge - Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 2 EmptyTue May 22, 2007 3:19 am

turtleman wrote:
NO 4 EVR wrote:

If you hook a boost gauge at that location, you would only read the vacuum, no boost. It is my understanding that the only boost connection would be under the nose of the s/c and you would have to throw in a T to connect it

on the top port (i believe where the PCV is), there is an open nipple to connect to (hopefully with a plug in it). That is vaccum only. Which is weird they left and open port.

go toward the front of the SC a little, and see 3 more nipples that are verticle. Tap into one of those. I guess the nipple under the SC snout would work, but I haven't tried it.
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Boost gauge - Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 2 EmptyTue May 22, 2007 11:15 pm

dreww, are you talking about the one that connects to the boost bypass valve actuator and the fuel reg or something else? I don't see any others.
Back to top Go down
dreww
Junkie
dreww

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Boost gauge - Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 2 EmptyTue May 22, 2007 11:17 pm

turtleman wrote:
dreww, are you talking about the one that connects to the boost bypass valve actuator and the fuel reg or something else? I don't see any others.

yes, I tapped into the fuel regulator one. I was trying to remember what it was called when I posted last night but drew a blank. It was the regulator.
obvoiusly the boost bypass valve would work too, as it open when boost kicks in.
Back to top Go down
urbsnspices
Fanatic
urbsnspices

Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Boost gauge - Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 2 EmptyWed May 23, 2007 1:08 pm

Hey guys, I am planning to put in a boost gauge at some point. A lot of analog boost gauges have VAC and BOOST range. Under normal operation do you ever see vacuum?

I was going to get a boost only gauge, but if there is ever some vac, it would be nice to see that too.

Some of the digital gauges will read either which is also nice.
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Boost gauge - Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 2 EmptyThu May 24, 2007 12:02 am

urbsnspices wrote:
Hey guys, I am planning to put in a boost gauge at some point. A lot of analog boost gauges have VAC and BOOST range. Under normal operation do you ever see vacuum?

I was going to get a boost only gauge, but if there is ever some vac, it would be nice to see that too.

Some of the digital gauges will read either which is also nice.

definitely see both values and would recommend a gauge that reads both. the net pressure is more often vacuum during normal driving conditions.

fyi: the boost is being bypassed at idle by the valve so you should see about 15in/hg of vac. and the vacuum will proportionally decrease with throttle until you hit boost ranges
Back to top Go down
dreww
Junkie
dreww

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Boost gauge - Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 2 EmptyTue May 29, 2007 11:52 pm

i would recommend the boost/vac gauge too. I only show boost and a vac gauge is handy sometimes to locate possible vacuum problems with your car....which is common with the million vac hoses on these cars.
Back to top Go down
RhinoFLA
Aficionado
RhinoFLA

Name : Ryan

PostSubject: boost gauge tap   Boost gauge - Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 26, 2007 3:59 pm

I can't get a straight forward picture of where to tap the line, can anyone that has one show me where they tapped it please.
Back to top Go down
97rivman
Fanatic
97rivman

Name : alex
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Boost gauge - Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 26, 2007 4:18 pm

i tapped mine before the map sensor. with a t-fitting and the hose fittings. Use high quality hose, NO SILICONE!!!!! it was a long time ago, i havent gotten MAP lines yet.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Boost gauge - Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 26, 2007 4:32 pm

What's wrong with silicone? I thought that was quality hose.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
97rivman
Fanatic
97rivman

Name : alex
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Boost gauge - Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 26, 2007 4:34 pm

AA wrote:
What's wrong with silicone? I thought that was quality hose.

i had it on my riv back in tha day and it would crimp in on it self, shrivel, and melt real quick. its alright for hondas. ride
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Boost gauge - Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 26, 2007 4:54 pm

Ahh, I see...

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
RhinoFLA
Aficionado
RhinoFLA

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Boost gauge - Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 27, 2007 12:27 am

can you maybe take a pic of it alex
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Boost gauge - Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 27, 2007 12:32 am

97rivman wrote:
i tapped mine before the map sensor. with a t-fitting and the hose fittings. Use high quality hose, NO SILICONE!!!!! it was a long time ago, i havent gotten MAP lines yet.

I would think that ideally one would use compression air line tubing (somewhat rigid material). We sell 4 or 5 different sizes where I work, and we buy it REAL cheap direct from the mfgr. I'd like to fit a boost gauge somewhere too, someday when I discover what free time is.
Back to top Go down
RhinoFLA
Aficionado
RhinoFLA

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Boost gauge - Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 27, 2007 1:43 pm

well i figured out where to tap the boost line, but where do you splice the LED lighting?
Back to top Go down
jimmyriv
Junkie
jimmyriv

Name : James
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Boost gauge - Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 27, 2007 4:39 pm

AA wrote:
Ahh, I see...

Ahhh Sooooooo rice
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/jimmyriv
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Boost gauge - Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge
Page 2 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next