Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost)

Go down 
+42
zip_tie
th3fr4nchi5e
RidzRiv
DaveE_95Riv
MFFDVR
LT1Squirrel
2000ws6transam
96riv
LARRY70GS
rk0ehn
98riv
charlieRobinson
Sweepspear
Abaddon
J. Chris Davis
rivman96
GMFreak8
Vista Cruiser
Eldo
robotennis61
99Rivman
Rickw
1998 Riv
Natesriv
curious riv
T Riley
EASHER
turtleman
oldsman105
dreww
arttu80
BillBoost37
Buickman104
AA
deekster_caddy
albertj
Mr.Riviera
mr.19982tone
RhinoFLA
TonySmooth89
46 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
LT1Squirrel
Enthusiast

Name : EB
Merit : 2

Boost bypass valve - FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost)   Boost bypass valve - FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 11 EmptyWed May 22, 2013 10:53 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:
Knock is erratic because you have full boost all the time. I wouldn't run like that besides the test.

Morad's probably has plenty of BBVs.

i understand sir, i actually have everything plugged back in so im back to max boost of 3 pounds or so haha... but i would prefer a new valve, not only because i know it will last till the car is done with, but because i get parts for cost smile
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

Boost bypass valve - FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost)   Boost bypass valve - FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 11 EmptyThu May 23, 2013 11:27 am

LT1Squirrel wrote:
i would prefer a new valve, not only because i know it will last till the car is done with, but because i get parts for cost smile

No problem at all. Just making sure you fully understood what was going on. I prefer new parts when I can get them too but sometimes used is just too much of a bargain to pass up.
Back to top Go down
LT1Squirrel
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost)   Boost bypass valve - FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 11 EmptySat Jun 01, 2013 10:02 pm

is 1997244 what i should be purchasing?

Boost bypass valve - FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 11 Rivpse31
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost)   Boost bypass valve - FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 11 EmptyTue Jun 04, 2013 2:11 pm

Based on the location and description, I think so. Don't shoot me if you get the wrong part though. wink
Back to top Go down
DaveE_95Riv
Amateur

Name : David Egan
Merit : 0

PostSubject: '95 Riv (series 1) Boost Control Solenoid/Valve question   Boost bypass valve - FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 11 EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 6:08 pm

Hi,looking for information on the '95 Riv boost control solenoid/valve, or waste-gate solenoid valve. GM#12353309 has been discontinued. RockAuto does not show anything I could find under the '95 Riv. I have read this part, for a series 2 engine is not compatible with the '95. Is this true? Anyone with the '95 replaced this item, and what # would I try and find today?
Thank you! 

Back to top Go down
RidzRiv
Addict
RidzRiv

Name : Greg
Merit : 17

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost)   Boost bypass valve - FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 11 EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 6:14 pm

I replaced mine with a boost control solenoid from another 95 Buick Riviera at a local Junkyard. I believe that the series 2 solenoids will actually work on the 95. I think they are the same just mounted slightly differently, so make sure to keep your bracket. Check out this site to see how to test them and for more info.

http://www.3800supercharger.net/diagnosing.html
Back to top Go down
LT1Squirrel
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost)   Boost bypass valve - FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 11 EmptyThu Jun 27, 2013 9:51 am

Is it typically the solenoid that goes bad or the mechanical actuator?
Back to top Go down
th3fr4nchi5e
Addict
th3fr4nchi5e

Name : Dave
Merit : 28

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost)   Boost bypass valve - FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 11 EmptyThu Jun 27, 2013 12:04 pm

My actuator stopped sealing properly. If you push in the actuator manually and cover the vacuum ports with your fingers, it should stay compressed. My old one did not hold at all.
Back to top Go down
zip_tie
Special

Name : Phillip giacone

PostSubject: NO BOOST!!! :(   Boost bypass valve - FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 11 EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 6:20 pm

I have searched every forum that has 3800 s/c know how and can't find my problem.... the car is an 1987 fiero and the motor is out of a 1997 Riviera s/c. Everything is stock except kn filter.

I was driving to work winding through the gears with everything working normally. I hit a red light. I go to accelerate and it is lacking power. I try to hit boost and it stays in vacuum the entire time.

So far I have bypassed the bbv with no results. The plunger moves up and down. Vacuum on the car at idle is at 20. The only codes being thrown r trans codes for obvious reasons and o2 codes. I have also taken off the belt to see if the coupler is still attached and it is.

Any kind of input would be appreciated

Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost)   Boost bypass valve - FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 11 EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 7:21 pm

Please explain exactly what you mean when you say 'bypassed the bbv' and 'trans codes for obvious reasons and o2 codes' - having no boost shouldn't throw any codes.
Back to top Go down
zip_tie
Special

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost)   Boost bypass valve - FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 11 EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 7:30 pm

Some ppl were saying that the "boost bypass valve" (bbv) could have been my problem. So I took the bottom line off and put vacuum caps on both the solenoid and on the bbv itself.

Trans codes bc the original auto trans is gone and the fiero 5 speed is currently attached. So the codes are coming up because none of the sensors are reading.
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost)   Boost bypass valve - FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 11 EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 8:27 pm

Shoot a PM to Mr.Riviera. He knows a good bit about the superchargers and if anyone could help it would probably be him.
Back to top Go down
zip_tie
Special

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost)   Boost bypass valve - FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 11 EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 8:50 pm

Pm'd thanks!!
Back to top Go down
96riv
Fanatic
96riv

Name : Dennis
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost)   Boost bypass valve - FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 11 EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 11:23 pm

Check map sensor and all vacuum connections.
Back to top Go down
http://www.arizonagn.com
zip_tie
Special

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost)   Boost bypass valve - FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 11 EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 11:48 pm

Map will b checked tomorrow. All the vacuum lines looked prettu good to me
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost)   Boost bypass valve - FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 11 EmptyFri Aug 02, 2013 12:30 am

Check O2 sensor fuse.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
zip_tie
Special

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost)   Boost bypass valve - FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 11 EmptyFri Aug 02, 2013 10:32 am

I haven't checked any fuses because I figured it was all mechanical but I will check that today too
Back to top Go down

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost)   Boost bypass valve - FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 11 EmptyFri Aug 02, 2013 11:41 am

zip_tie wrote:
Some ppl were saying that the "boost bypass valve" (bbv) could have been my problem. So I took the bottom line off and put vacuum caps on both the solenoid and on the bbv itself.

Trans codes bc the original auto trans is gone and the fiero 5 speed is currently attached. So the codes are coming up because none of the sensors are reading.

When you capped off the bbv, was it in the fully down position?  IE, was there spring pressure where it kept wanting to push out?  Capping it off properly away from the solenoid and vac system should cause it to only be in extended position, which would be in "always boost" mode.  Regardless of anything else in the system (vac or MAP, or computer), if the BBV is in the down position you should have boost.  If the bbv doesn't default to pushing extended, then you have a ruptured diaphragm inside it and it needs replacing.  Even if its ruptured, you can test by wedging it in the downward position with a bit of wood.  Wedged down you SHOULD see boost.

Also, its a long thread, but things to try and troubleshooting can be found here:
https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t2083-faq-boost-bypass-valve-boost-control-solenoid-questions-no-boost

Master

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost)   Boost bypass valve - FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 11 EmptyFri Aug 02, 2013 5:01 pm

zip_tie wrote:

Thanks. Sorry I missed the Fiero bit so trans codes make sense now. Completely irrelevant that it's from a Riv.

Take a vacuum tester and put suction on the BBV. Does it move when you put vacuum to it? Does it hold vacuum?
Back to top Go down
zip_tie
Special

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost)   Boost bypass valve - FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 11 EmptySat Aug 03, 2013 6:17 pm

Well I have boost now. I cleaned the maf, found a few cracked vacuum lines and replaced the throttle body and upper intake gasket. Thanks for all the help. I'm not sure what worked but I did see coolant leaking from a gew spots and it has ceasef now smile

Now time to figure out race car parts smile
Back to top Go down
bmcd9179
Fanatic
bmcd9179

Name : Bryson
Merit : 1

PostSubject: 4psi of boost.   Boost bypass valve - FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 11 EmptyThu Nov 28, 2013 1:47 pm

so my gauge reads that I am only running 4psi of boost, and ive viewed videos on these rivieras and im sure that my car can be a lot faster if im running the proper amount of boost. the only known problem I have is I have to replace my lower intake gaskets. which someone has told me it has nothing to do with boost. anyone else had this low of boost before? im 5k above sea level but I don't thing it would be that dramatic. I have also sprayed starter fluid all over to make sure I have no vacuum leaks, no sign of one.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost)   Boost bypass valve - FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 11 EmptyThu Nov 28, 2013 4:22 pm

I posted this awhile ago, but it moved threads, so you might not have seen it:

Me wrote:
Your boost gauge is hooked up wrong or you aren't making any boost.
"I hooked up the vacuum line and everything done right but it goes to negative 15psi and when I punch it, it goes to 0psi, so do I need to adjust the needle? And when the needle is off and car is off it goes to 0psi."

If working and hooked correctly you will see the neg(vac), but under load you will see positive boost.

Also post pics of your boost gauge install. Check for BBV movement under the hood when blipping the throttle. That’s the black actuator arm on the SC on the front right when facing you. If you reach over to the TB and give it a solid rev, you should see the actuator extend.

I suspect the not displaying boost and "vtec" thing are separate issues if you still see no boost under the "vtec" condition.

The takeaway here is you need to check a few easy things:
-First get your boost gauge sorted.  If it is indeed hooked up properly, then be sure the needle reads 0 when the car is off and in the negatives when running.  Or alternatively, get an aeroforce working correctly to display boost.  This takes you to step 2 in troubleshooting this.
-Check your boost bypass actuator.  Its the black piston plunger thing on the right near the intake when facing the engine.  What it does is throws a mechanical lever to close off the inlet of the supercharger with the inside of the LIM.  In a nutshell, extended all the way you make boost, retracted you bypass the air to the inlet to not make boost.  Verify that you can move it up and down freely.  It will have spring force in the extended position when the car is off.  When idling it should retract into the up position.  If its movement seems to be normal move to step 3.
-Check that the actuator extends fully when the engine is under load.  You can do this under the hood with the engine running by blipping the throttle.  The piston should extend and retract related to the brief load that revving puts the engine under.  After verifying that it can move itself move to step 4.
-If movement seems ok but boost is still low, you likely have a bad boost control solenoid.  The solenoid is the little rectangle thing with the wire and vac lines going into it.  Sometimes they can die or partly die.  The result is that it doesn't switch the vacuum source properly and the piston on the actuator won't extend fully under high engine load.  Result: only 2-4 psi when you expect 6ish stock.  If you think it may be the solenoid, you test by changing the vacuum routing so that the BBV piston is always extended and go for a drive.(Can't remember the exact changes to do this off the top of my head.  It’s on the forum somewhere, or perhaps someone else will jump in.)  If that was the culprit you will see full boost. Don't drive for long though, the car will idle like crap and not coast very well as the engine will be operating always under boost and not ever letting it bypass as needed.

Without seeing the car, and if everything else is correct, I'm going to bet your issue is related to either the solenoid being bad, wiring to it, vac routing from it, or issue with the BBV actuator itself. Theres not much else that can cause a low boost situation by a few PSI.

Fanatic
bmcd9179

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost)   Boost bypass valve - FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 11 EmptyThu Nov 28, 2013 4:49 pm

ok I was showing nearly zero awhile ago, ive replaced the boost bypass actuator and then reading about 4psi of boost sometimes even 5 if im lucky! so I think the problem is the bad boost control solenoid. im going to see if I can find any write ups. my car idles like crap, but I was thinking it was the intake gaskets doing that?
Back to top Go down
bmcd9179
Fanatic
bmcd9179

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost)   Boost bypass valve - FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 11 EmptyThu Nov 28, 2013 5:08 pm

how do I test it? I cant seem to find the forum.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost)   Boost bypass valve - FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 11 EmptyThu Nov 28, 2013 5:36 pm

You can bypass the boost solonoid by hooking the top vac line on the actuator to your top vaccum t. https://2img.net/h/i1309.photobucket.com/albums/s639/fieroaddicted/fiero%20build/109_5673_zps9a6de273.jpg

Only try it temp to see if your boost goes to what is expected.  Be sure to cap off any lines removed to do this. Only do it like this for testing.

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost)   Boost bypass valve - FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 11 Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost)
Page 11 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next