Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Armored boost control valve filter!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

Armored boost control valve filter! Empty
PostSubject: Armored boost control valve filter!   Armored boost control valve filter! EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 5:01 am

Armored boost control valve filter! Boost_control_valve_filter_01

Because Jack's mice struck again, eating the new filter RickW was nice enough to send.

I've heard these are hard to get and some of you are riding without one. My home made job may look ghetto-fabulous but it's better than nothing. I found a piece of foam rubber of similiar density to the original filter, cut a thin slice of it, than rolled it around the filter inlet. The wire mesh is window screen. A zip tie closes off the end.

The window screen may prove not to be heavy enough to stop mice. I'll report back if heavier screening is needed. It won't be easy to wrap it around such a small circumference, so I hope this will work.

Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Armored boost control valve filter!   Armored boost control valve filter! EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 5:19 am

necessity is the mother of invention. great job JR!
Back to top Go down
98riv

Merit : 30

PostSubject: Re: Armored boost control valve filter!   Armored boost control valve filter! EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 11:35 am

Mine was missing a while back and I ended up using part of a foam gasket from a window air conditioner. I just wedged it in there and you can't tell it wasn't put there from the factory.

Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Armored boost control valve filter!   Armored boost control valve filter! EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 11:58 am

Going on 207k miles with no boost control filter. I think lost mine sometime in 2004. Maybe I need to rig something up similar to this?

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: Armored boost control valve filter!   Armored boost control valve filter! EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 4:07 pm

I may pretty mine up with black foam and a black zip tie. If I paint the window screen black too it might not look half bad.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Armored boost control valve filter!   Armored boost control valve filter! EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 5:54 pm

As Aaron has pointed out, since not having one in many years, it probably doesn't even matter.
Well, I guess his experience proves it does not matter if there is this foolish little filter that can't filter much anyway to start with.

It was an anal engineer that said, Let's put this useless foam filter here.

At least the conclusion I've come to.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Armored boost control valve filter!   Armored boost control valve filter! Empty

Back to top Go down

Armored boost control valve filter!
Page 1 of 1