Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

identify this part!

Go down 
+9
AA
1998 Riv
turtleman
99Rivman
RhinoFLA
IBx1
Mr.Riviera
TonySmooth89
deekster_caddy
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

identify this part! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: identify this part!   identify this part! - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 01, 2008 8:15 pm

'97

I think we have a guy locally who will do the labor for around $500. We'll see.
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: identify this part!   identify this part! - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 02, 2008 2:08 am

duct tape fixes ANYTHING......... sorry im not trying to be mean..... i am really sorry this didnt hold up.................
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: identify this part!   identify this part! - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 02, 2008 9:40 am

98riviera98 wrote:
duct tape fixes ANYTHING........

woohoo! I'll use it to seal that broken case! Thanks for the tip! smile
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

Merit : 26

PostSubject: Re: identify this part!   identify this part! - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 02, 2008 9:43 am

I knew you said it was from a 97 GTP, had hoped you'd say the case was from a different year.

Working to nail down when the case was universal for all. It appears there's a point somewhere that either they changed to specialized cases or went universal.

I told Oldsman..we'll add those bosses with JB weld.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: identify this part!   identify this part! - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 02, 2008 9:44 am

ah hmmm. well I can send you the casting number on the back of the case if that helps any? But I don't know it's 'real' origin.
Back to top Go down
jax95riv
Aficionado
jax95riv

Name : Jack
Merit : 6

PostSubject: Re: identify this part!   identify this part! - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 02, 2008 10:12 am

Hey Derek, did you take enough pics that you can do a write up on a transmission change out? It sure would help us guys that are going to have to tackle that dreaded task in the near future.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/468780
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: identify this part!   identify this part! - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 02, 2008 11:55 am

I have a great writeup (It wasn't really that many steps) and a bunch of pictures. I'll put something together.

The hardest part was breaking (and I mean breaking) the subframe to body bolts loose. I split a socket open with my breaker bar trying to get those out.
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

PostSubject: Re: identify this part!   identify this part! - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 02, 2008 1:16 pm

Luckily I've got 600ft lbs of gun for that part.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: identify this part!   identify this part! - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 07, 2008 5:16 pm

well yesterday I dropped both tranny's off at my 'guy' in Whitensville MA. He opened them up today and said the internals of my 80K mile driver were in excellent condition (that's the one I've been racing for the last 5 years) and the hi-po parts from my Thrasher were in great shape but there were some smoked clutches in there. He is ordering a couple of clutches and some minor hard parts, and reusing the best from both to build one excellent transmission in my good case.

Oh, and I ordered a hardened input shaft from ZZP today twisted

Oh, and I ordered front and rear sway bars from neverenoughauto too. The pair of Addco bars was $265 shipped (remember that group buy last year? Brad still does, didn't even need to look up the part numbers!!) Figured it's going to be easy to replace the front bar while I have the subframe out!! smile smile
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: identify this part!   identify this part! - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 07, 2008 5:32 pm

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
BillBoost37
Junkie

PostSubject: Re: identify this part!   identify this part! - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 09, 2008 1:03 pm

Yeah..toss me the casing number (I think it's by the diff cover) and I can decode it)

Oldsman and I picked a trans from a 98 regal. Webbing is there. I pulled a diff from a 97 GTP and the webbing is there.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: identify this part!   identify this part! - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 27, 2008 8:18 pm

Well, here's an update on this. I have the 'new' transmission installed and have been driving it for a week. Very happy with it, all the best parts from both transmissions were used, plus a new chain (the old one was stretched), new clutches and the hardened IS.

It took the PCM a few days of driving to learn how to do my 1-2 shift without barking the tires and slamming the motor mounts. It did learn, though. I am VERY happy with the way this thing shifts. I was a little worried at first that the shifts were all much too hard, but it learned them with time. Now the mid-heavy throttle shifts are really crisp and the light throttle shifts are fast but not hard.

As to driving with 3.29 gears... I love it. My highway RPMs are only a little higher, but MPG isn't affected too much. Took a 400 mile trip last weekend and managed 24 mpg (my previous best was 26). I do love the fact that now on my pokey commute to work I actually get into 4th gear and TCC lockup on a few roads at 40-41 mph. Previously it was chugging if I made it get into that gear, now it's just right.

For the most part, the gear change is not noticeable to others (it's an 11% change). I notice only because I drive it every day and recognize the small differences.

If anybody is having a transmission rebuild, I highly changing to 3.29s. I mean really, your car can still go way way faster than the speed limits and unless you are building a track only car I wouldn't bother with the 3.69 gear option. At 70 MPH my RPMs are just under 2100.

edit: oh yeah, and it pulls like hell in first gear!
Back to top Go down
oldsman105
Junkie
oldsman105

Name : Enrique Patino
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: identify this part!   identify this part! - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 27, 2008 8:39 pm

I am glad to hear it all worked out! did you end up replacing the rear trans-mount? how much did it cost?
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: identify this part!   identify this part! - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 28, 2008 8:56 am

no, I am still using the stock trans mount. After some investigation, though, I noticed a couple of things:

The mount is not really that bad, it just has normal looking stretch marks

I think I can firm it up a bit by cutting some rubber fuel hose to length, jacking the trans up a little and stuffing a few fuel lines into that traingular opening.

Hmm... what else? Addco sent the wrong front bar. Right part number, right installation kit in the box, wrong bar in the box. So I'll have to drop the front subframe again when that comes in. I was pretty miffed about that. frown
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: identify this part!   identify this part! - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

identify this part!
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2