Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: How to disable headlamps & daytime running lights?

Go down 
+11
Mr.Riviera
shrek
TonySmooth89
deekster_caddy
AA
albertj
turtleman
SC95Riv
IBx1
99Rivman
BoattailBob
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
BoattailBob
Fanatic
BoattailBob

Merit : 0

FAQ: How to disable headlamps & daytime running lights? Empty
PostSubject: FAQ: How to disable headlamps & daytime running lights?   FAQ: How to disable headlamps & daytime running lights? EmptySun Dec 30, 2007 2:26 pm

This may be a lame question and posted in the wrong place so bear with me.
I've never ran into this situation until the other night when I drove through this xmas lights display we have in one of the parks here.
You are supposed to turn off your headlights and drive through. Well....I tried but could not figure out how to drive without my headlights on. So I had a bunch of irate parents yelling at me to turn off my headlights...it became quite amusing.
Im so used to them coming on and off automatically that I have never had to do this.
Anyone know how to drive the car without the headlights on?
Mine are always in the off position but come on auto. There's got to be a way to do this.
Surely someone has had to for a drive by at some time?
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 89

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: How to disable headlamps & daytime running lights?   FAQ: How to disable headlamps & daytime running lights? EmptySun Dec 30, 2007 4:49 pm

I just figured this out recently on my '99. The switch is spring loaded, you just push it all the way to min. and release it and it turns off the lights. As far as I can tell you cannot cancel the auto feature completely, it just turns them off that one time and the next time you restart or turn the key they will be on automatically again.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Name : ILAN
Merit : 69

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: How to disable headlamps & daytime running lights?   FAQ: How to disable headlamps & daytime running lights? EmptySun Dec 30, 2007 4:52 pm

My internet cut out on me, but I was gonna say that I know the light sensor tells the lights to come on even while the car is parked. My lights came on while it was on for us to install a neon stick under the dash, and I wasn't able to turn them off. Thanks, 99, for telling us how to do this!
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: How to disable headlamps & daytime running lights?   FAQ: How to disable headlamps & daytime running lights? EmptySun Dec 30, 2007 4:59 pm

I am pretty sure the '95 is different from the '97-'99, on my '95 I can completely turn off the auto feature, the switch is not spring loaded so you just push it all the way to dim and then you have to use the headlight switch to turn on the lights.
If you are talking about the interior lights, there is no way to turn them off if the door is open but they will go off after approx. 15 minutes of the door being open. A battery saving feature. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
SC95Riv
Enthusiast
SC95Riv

Name : Chris

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: How to disable headlamps & daytime running lights?   FAQ: How to disable headlamps & daytime running lights? EmptySun Dec 30, 2007 5:01 pm

In my 95 I just set the switch to min and they stay off, I manually turn on my lights every night because the automatic lights wouldnt always turn on for me, so I'm used to doing it manually now. I figured it out pretty quick, I just assumed it was common sense to put the switch to MIN.... lol
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Name : ILAN
Merit : 69

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: How to disable headlamps & daytime running lights?   FAQ: How to disable headlamps & daytime running lights? EmptySun Dec 30, 2007 5:02 pm

Ok, so I just turn the knob all the way clockwise? Wow, I learned something new and helpful already!! I noticed that after 5 or so minutes, it also cuts power to the 12v DC outlet, very helpful!
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: How to disable headlamps & daytime running lights?   FAQ: How to disable headlamps & daytime running lights? EmptySun Dec 30, 2007 5:10 pm

SC95Riv wrote:
In my 95 I just set the switch to min and they stay off, I manually turn on my lights every night because the automatic lights wouldnt always turn on for me, so I'm used to doing it manually now. I figured it out pretty quick, I just assumed it was common sense to put the switch to MIN.... lol
That is true for the '95 but I think they changed it in '97 and it doesn't work the same way?
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: How to disable headlamps & daytime running lights?   FAQ: How to disable headlamps & daytime running lights? EmptySun Dec 30, 2007 9:16 pm

I have a 97. I don't know how to turn off the lights while in a gear other than park. This really makes me mad sometimes. I have that spring loaded sensitivity switch but it does nothing while in drive or even neutral.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: How to disable headlamps & daytime running lights?   FAQ: How to disable headlamps & daytime running lights? EmptySun Dec 30, 2007 9:38 pm

I read somewhere that on the '96 and later RIv you push the parking brake pedal down one and only one click to make the headlights stay off while running. Sounded fishy to me & I have not tried it and do not plan to try it, but the directions stuck with me since I read it so I thought I'd share it in case you were curious. suspect

A lot of things have to be in adjustment for that little trick to work - the brake cable has to have enough slack, the switch has to engage, etc.

I also read that on other GM cars (the Venture for instance) you can pull the DRL fuse and then the headlight switch will run the headlights. Why this would work to keep the headlights off at night I do not know. pale

To read more on this see http://www.automotivehelper.com/topic111295.htm for the discussion.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: How to disable headlamps & daytime running lights?   FAQ: How to disable headlamps & daytime running lights? EmptyMon Dec 31, 2007 12:59 pm

Albert, that parking brake method is quite amusing. I would absolutely NEVER do that! One time my front brakes got really bad (pads wore to the metal), so I had to use the parking brake regularly during the 30 mile drive home. I remember that if you are moving and engage the brake at all, you will hear a pretty loud and annoying "Ding-ding-ding-ding" until you release the pedal. Not worth putting yourself through this to make the lights go out, imo. Very annoying sound!

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
BoattailBob
Fanatic
BoattailBob

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: How to disable headlamps & daytime running lights?   FAQ: How to disable headlamps & daytime running lights? EmptySat Jan 05, 2008 1:13 pm

SC95Riv wrote:

They must have changed this in '97. I cannot get this to work, and believe me I tried it the night I had all these grumpy old men yelling at me "TURN YOUR LIGHTS OFF". lol
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: How to disable headlamps & daytime running lights?   FAQ: How to disable headlamps & daytime running lights? EmptySat Jan 05, 2008 7:01 pm

yeah I have never been able to turn off the auto lights in my '98 and I tried lots of things (but not the E-brake thing)
Back to top Go down
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

Name : Anthony
Merit : 16

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: How to disable headlamps & daytime running lights?   FAQ: How to disable headlamps & daytime running lights? EmptySat Jan 05, 2008 8:09 pm

Well on my car if you set it all the way to max you can kinda feel it click and the lights go off.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: How to disable headlamps & daytime running lights?   FAQ: How to disable headlamps & daytime running lights? EmptySat Jan 05, 2008 11:04 pm

Time to check out that DRL fuse.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
shrek
Special

Name : Shrek

PostSubject: help!!!!!! how to disable DRL   FAQ: How to disable headlamps & daytime running lights? EmptyFri Apr 16, 2010 10:16 pm

new owner of a 97 riviera and LOVE IT..............
But how do i disable the daytime runnings lights.... HATE THEM
could not find anything in owners manual about it...

Thanks Shrek
Detroit,MI
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: How to disable headlamps & daytime running lights?   FAQ: How to disable headlamps & daytime running lights? EmptyFri Apr 16, 2010 10:35 pm

should be able to turn the headlights completely off by moving the slider below the light knob to the far left. you would then need to turn on the lights manually.
(the slider will only work when the car is in park)

Welcome to the forum too! is your screen name shrek b/c shrek the third is on tv right now??

Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: How to disable headlamps & daytime running lights?   FAQ: How to disable headlamps & daytime running lights? EmptyFri Apr 16, 2010 11:30 pm

Moving that slider all the way to the left only changes the timer for when you turn the car off.....the lights stay on for a period adjusted by that timer. You can turn them off by "clicking" that slider while the car is in park, but they will come on automatically when shifted out of park. If you want to disable the DRL's, unplug the ambient light sensor (the dark "bulb" up on the dash), and the DRL's will never come on.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: How to disable headlamps & daytime running lights?   FAQ: How to disable headlamps & daytime running lights? EmptyFri Apr 16, 2010 11:55 pm

hmm, must be a year to year change. with my 96, if the slider is clicked over when in park the lights will never come on unless i manually turn them on.
i dont have DRL's though, just the twilight sensor.

Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: How to disable headlamps & daytime running lights?   FAQ: How to disable headlamps & daytime running lights? EmptySat Apr 17, 2010 12:04 am

Mr.Riviera wrote:
hmm, must be a year to year change. with my 96,

prolly, I know I can't turn em off on my '98, except in park
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: How to disable headlamps & daytime running lights?   FAQ: How to disable headlamps & daytime running lights? EmptySat Apr 17, 2010 9:30 am

Mr.Riviera wrote:
hmm, must be a year to year change. with my 96, if the slider is clicked over when in park the lights will never come on unless i manually turn them on.
i dont have DRL's though, just the twilight sensor.
It is a year to year difference, the '95 & '96 have what you say and can be turned off, but the '97 - '99 are on all the time except if you want to turn them off in "Park", as said before.
Back to top Go down
97 park ave
Addict
97 park ave

Name : Tyler
Merit : 21

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: How to disable headlamps & daytime running lights?   FAQ: How to disable headlamps & daytime running lights? EmptySat Apr 17, 2010 1:36 pm

to disable auto headlights:
1. find the twilight sentinel sensor on the dash.
2. cut the 2 wires coming to the sensor from the dash.
3. tape the wires you cut on the sensor side out of the way.
4. connect the 2 wires coming from the dash that were originally going to the sensor.
5. put everything back together and enjoy full control of your headlights at night.

when the sensor senses light in the daytime it completes the circuit between the 2 wires telling the car that it is daytime and to turn the lights off. what you are doing when you connect the 2 wires is tricking the car into thinking it is always daytime. i have had my car like this for almost 3 years now with no issues.

also, if the rivs dont have a DRL fuse to pull i can help with disabling those too.
Back to top Go down
VJD2
Fanatic
VJD2

Name : Vinny
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: How to disable headlamps & daytime running lights?   FAQ: How to disable headlamps & daytime running lights? EmptySat Apr 17, 2010 6:09 pm

Write it up!!

I hate Day Time running lights. I was just going to ask about how to get rid of them.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: How to disable headlamps & daytime running lights?   FAQ: How to disable headlamps & daytime running lights? EmptySat Apr 17, 2010 6:22 pm

The only problems being:

- Getting to the sensor is a PITA
- You're also disabling your Twilight Sentinel
- The manual headlight knob is a POS that loves to come off...

headbutt
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: How to disable headlamps & daytime running lights?   FAQ: How to disable headlamps & daytime running lights? EmptySat Apr 17, 2010 8:35 pm

My manual headlight knob has never come off. Maybe yours is broken? Anyone else have a problem with their knob?

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: How to disable headlamps & daytime running lights?   FAQ: How to disable headlamps & daytime running lights? EmptySat Apr 17, 2010 8:51 pm

AA wrote:
My manual headlight knob has never come off. Maybe yours is broken? Anyone else have a problem with their knob?

In another thread, others have recently mentioned the same problem... These knobs aren't like traditional
headlight-switch knobs & shafts, they're more like a glorified radio knob.

And really, how often do you actually pull on yours in a '98? .(hmmm, perhaps I could
have phrased that better... rabbit )
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: How to disable headlamps & daytime running lights?   FAQ: How to disable headlamps & daytime running lights? Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: How to disable headlamps & daytime running lights?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next