Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

'98 SC Riv

Go down 
+25
llamalor2112
joshuadalegrimes
stan
matt270avian
albertj
charlieRobinson
ghpcnm
95RiviSC
xxsupergman25xx
Lucas
Rickw
sburch23
robotennis61
T Riley
jrocha
ibmoses
AA
deekster_caddy
etosino2009
jax95riv
robertwolf86
palermocorey90
99Rivman
oldsman105
ZEP
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

'98 SC Riv - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: '98 SC Riv   '98 SC Riv - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 29, 2009 10:57 pm

Quote :
'98 SC Riv - Page 2 DSC04367

Fantastic photo - this needs to be included in next year's calendar selection!

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
sburch23
Addict
sburch23

Name : Scott
Merit : 14

PostSubject: Re: '98 SC Riv   '98 SC Riv - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 29, 2009 11:05 pm

You are ahead of the curve! The new 2010 LaCrosse has blue lights throughout the interior.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: '98 SC Riv   '98 SC Riv - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 30, 2009 5:54 am

I agree some very nice photo's and very nice car.
Where did you get the chrome arrowheads you are using for detail on the body of the car, they look good on your car.
Back to top Go down
Lucas
Enthusiast

Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: '98 SC Riv   '98 SC Riv - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 30, 2009 7:23 am

hey zep, nice pics, is there any way you could do a write up on those blue LEDs throughout, since the baby bulbs are dying off one by one in my riv, i'd like to switch it up.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/gesues
ZEP
Fanatic
ZEP

Name : Zach
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: '98 SC Riv   '98 SC Riv - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 02, 2009 9:11 pm

Quote :
Fantastic photo - this needs to be included in next year's calendar selection!

Hey, that'd be cool with me. I could probably take a better quality one. That one's dark and it's got a damn Toyota in the background confused

Quote :
You are ahead of the curve! The new 2010 LaCrosse has blue lights throughout the interior.

Yeah, I like the new 2010 LaCrosse car (though seeing it did not make me want to get these lights in) and its interior lights look awesome. They are much more "cool" blue than mine tho...

Rickw, I got the arrowheads from AutoZone. I don't like a lot of the trash they have in the accessories section (most of it unnecessary and way too blingy) but I thought they'd look good and I think they do.

Lucas, I could make a detailed write up if I find time. It's pretty easy to do if you have spare time and a flat head screwdriver.

Anyway, I wanted to post pics of my tinted turn signals and running lights so here they are. Honestly, I'm not 100% happy with them but hell, they look alright and they make the front end look cleaner to me. The light on the passenger side IS darker than the driver side, but not much and it isn't noticeable with lights on. Pics were taken about 2 hours after a huge ass rain storm, usually the girl's cleaner.

'98 SC Riv - Page 2 DSC04437

'98 SC Riv - Page 2 DSC04438

'98 SC Riv - Page 2 DSC04440

In this pic, you got the front turn signals and back running lights. Both are damn dark.
'98 SC Riv - Page 2 DSC04443

'98 SC Riv - Page 2 DSC04445

I'll be doing the reverse lights with one coat of VHT some time soon. If they look like hell I'll do the whole tail light. Working on the FWI right now. If anybody who reads this has made one, what did you use to enlarge the fenderwell? My dremel takes ages to cut it up even with fiberglass disks.
Back to top Go down
xxsupergman25xx
Aficionado
xxsupergman25xx

Name : Scotty
Merit : 13

PostSubject: Re: '98 SC Riv   '98 SC Riv - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 02, 2009 11:41 pm

looks like a dif color of my car lol same grill same chrome stripping between the windows. chrome wheels...portholes.. niiicee
Back to top Go down
http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/xxsupergman25xx/
95RiviSC
95RiviSC

Name : Jose
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: '98 SC Riv   '98 SC Riv - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 03, 2009 1:06 am

I love your car man. Absolutely gorgeous.

I wish I had the money to do all of that to my car.
Back to top Go down
http://www.clublakers.com
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 89

PostSubject: Re: '98 SC Riv   '98 SC Riv - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 12, 2010 9:11 am

Zach,
Thought I would bump this and add you should send in some pics for the calendar if you haven't yet!
That was a good story in the Riview and some great pictures; you should add them for the RivPerformance calendar rock
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
ghpcnm
Aficionado
ghpcnm

Name : Dave
Merit : 23

PostSubject: Re: '98 SC Riv   '98 SC Riv - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 2:14 pm

You have a beautiful Rivi. I had been wondering how the chrome would look on the pillars. How did you do the grill? I suppose it's on another thread, but I can't find it. I really like that touch. smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.americantorque.com/page/0/1189/
ZEP
Fanatic
ZEP

PostSubject: Re: '98 SC Riv   '98 SC Riv - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 10:52 am

@ 99Rivman
Thanks for your post back in November. I didn't even realize you had posted. Sorry about the lack of a reply! Regardless, I'll probably try to send those pictures in for the next calendar, or perhaps I'll take some more. I've been busy with school for a while. Hopefully I'll get some time in the summer.

@ ghpcnm
Thanks, I really appreciate it. A few weeks ago when I came home from school (I come home once a month), I replaced the chrome on my driver's side pillar. I took the old stuff off and just stepped back and compared the bare plastic to the chrome. I really feel that the chrome makes it look better, though leaving the black plastic the way it is makes the window-area more linear. I just did what I felt was best for my own vehicle.
Also I assume you found the thread about the grille? Let me know if you still need any help. It's pretty simple. It just requires a good amount of patience.

This is my spring break and I'll try to work on getting new pics up of new stuff. surprised
Back to top Go down
ghpcnm
Aficionado
ghpcnm

PostSubject: Re: '98 SC Riv   '98 SC Riv - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 11:24 am

Thanks Zach...Yes, I did find the thread on the grill mods (with a little help from the admin) and I did mine yesterday. I used 1/4" door edge molding on mine and it came out just beautiful. A very inexpensive, but rich looking mod. Enjoy your break smile
Back to top Go down
ZEP
Fanatic
ZEP

PostSubject: Re: '98 SC Riv   '98 SC Riv - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 2:04 pm

It's been a while since I've updated w/pics, but I've done a lot since the last time I've updated. As of right now, my 98 has about 148k miles on it. She's been less than perfect hammer but, it's still a head turner even with the relatively subtle things I've done to it. The front bumper has been repainted, and some dings in it were fixed. We just got through a rough patch in our lives, when the HVAC head unit and the windows decided to poop out at the same time, and of course, you can't beat this humid Delaware weather! But, while I'm on break, I figured I'd get some glamour shots of ol' Bessie! burnout

She is now on one of those new teeth whitening programs, but I think she may have gone overboard! (put new chrome on the grille)
'98 SC Riv - Page 2 DSC04637

Those cliche portholes are gone, and I put chrome stripping over top of the SS fender well trim, removed the front window tint, and just put on new door handle covers. They are made of polished stainless and marketed for 00-05 Impalas.
'98 SC Riv - Page 2 DSC04639

'98 SC Riv - Page 2 DSC04653

I took off the original S/C emblem and put a new chrome one on. The tail light is tinted, as are the reverse lights. There are white LEDs above the license plate, and white LEDs for the reverse lights.
'98 SC Riv - Page 2 DSC04650

'98 SC Riv - Page 2 DSC04649

War wounds! In the continuing battle with those meddling *other* vehicles in the world, somebody decided to hit the car with their truck's fishing pole mount. Stick to the beach, people! I used a paint pen with the alleged same color as my vehicle to fill in the scratches. The paint is obviously darker than it should be.
'98 SC Riv - Page 2 DSC04651

Updated interior: I now have a Dual stereo (it is a cheap, very temporary replacement for my former Pioneer HU, which I loved to death). Also notice the S/C emblem on the lighter/ash tray cover. I plan on putting a SoundStream Equalizer underneath of my Head Unit, or maybe where the ash tray / lighter are.
'98 SC Riv - Page 2 DSC04646

'98 SC Riv - Page 2 DSC04645

Here is a picture of my subwoofers once again. I put a Riviera R on the trunk lid. We purchased it at the ROA meet in Hershey.
'98 SC Riv - Page 2 DSC04655

The freshly cleaned and polished engine bay. The Caddy STB is on its way. I have my 3.5" pulley off right now but I will put it on again soon.
'98 SC Riv - Page 2 DSC04658

'98 SC Riv - Page 2 DSC04659

Thanks for looking, guys. I'll post again when I get the EQ put in

Last edited by ZEP on Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ghpcnm
Aficionado
ghpcnm

PostSubject: Re: '98 SC Riv   '98 SC Riv - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 3:11 pm

Very nice indeed...thanks for sharing the pics clap
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: '98 SC Riv   '98 SC Riv - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 4:49 pm

Very nice! What did you do to the hood insulation?!
Back to top Go down
ZEP
Fanatic
ZEP

PostSubject: Re: '98 SC Riv   '98 SC Riv - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 31, 2012 12:26 am

Thanks guys. Very mild mods, I know, but it's my daily driver. I pretty much just removed the insulation, deek. I have it in the shed still, but I can hear everything going on in the engine bay much better, plus I like to think it helps reduce under-hood temps. Think is the key word though razz I wonder what possessed GM engineers to put all of those cone-shaped indentations under the hood...
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: '98 SC Riv   '98 SC Riv - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 31, 2012 12:31 am

the cone shaped indentations are for stiffening. If you paint the underside to match the exterior of the hood the underside looks a whole bunch better
Back to top Go down
ZEP
Fanatic
ZEP

PostSubject: Re: '98 SC Riv   '98 SC Riv - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 31, 2012 12:41 am

Yep, that's what I thought, I just haven't seen cones on other cars before. Maybe that's b/c most of them still have insulation! lol I plan on painting the hood down the road so we'll make sure to do the whole thing.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: '98 SC Riv   '98 SC Riv - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 31, 2012 3:17 am

they have a whole different engineering criteria for aluminium in regards to strength.
I love aluminium heart
Back to top Go down
ZEP
Fanatic
ZEP

PostSubject: Re: '98 SC Riv   '98 SC Riv - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 10:50 pm

Just came in... I'll be busy this weekend happy

'98 SC Riv - Page 2 DSC07983

See anything you recognize?? I'll be doing the following:

- Putting on new struts - KYB GR-2 (KYB-335037) and new KYB boots (took a while to find the right ones)
- In the cardboard box is an ABS module to replace mine, which will get done tomorrow. Old one will probably get sold for scrap metal!
- See the pulley on top of the cardboard box? It's my shredded S/C idler pulley. So, new pulley and new Gates belt are getting strapped on.
- Putting on new rotors all around (back ones have *never* been replaced... Jesus! jesus )
- New ceramic Delco brake pads to be tossed on
- Motor mounts and transmission mounts replaced, as well as oil pan gasket
- Fuel filter will get replaced
- Might paint my calipers black if I get bored

All of this is getting done because it's all loooooong overdue. My front struts are stock (over 150k miles - a ton of creaks and a very bumpy / loose ride), as are the back brake rotors, brakes are squealing, fuel filter hasn't been done in a long, long time, ABS / TC needs fixed... S/C doesn't work headbutt Can't wait!

After all this, I'll be painting some interior pieces gloss black (shifter trim if I can't find another one for cheap), then probably re-do the front bumper. It has a massive hole in it from an accident. An sqrivi bumper would be welcomed... thumbsup
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: '98 SC Riv   '98 SC Riv - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 6:28 pm

yo, ZEP. How'd the upgrades turn out?
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: '98 SC Riv   '98 SC Riv - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 6:43 pm

charlieRobinson wrote:
yo, ZEP. How'd the upgrades turn out?

....he's recovering from all the wrenching as we speak
Back to top Go down
ZEP
Fanatic
ZEP

PostSubject: Re: '98 SC Riv   '98 SC Riv - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 8:19 pm

Lol, well, all I have to say is... I lovez mah pneumatic wrench. My arms don't feel like limp noodles, which is a win in and of itself heart

Everything went great though. I didn't take pics, as I was too intent on getting things done before passing out, but my dad and I installed new rotors and pads & rebuilt all the caliper pistons. I'm the second owner of this car, but I'm pretty positive the rear rotors were original before this past weekend... they still had the stock retainer clips on them shocked

I put the ABS module in and both the TC and ABS lights (which have been on for *months*) went away instantly. Thanks for the wake up call, albert (if you're reading)!... I'll make sure to replace brake fluid every 2 years instead of replacing modules headbutt We also got the new struts in, but I'm now getting a clunking noise from the front driver's side whenever I brake or turn. I'm thinking one of the control arm bushings may have cracked when working on the suspension. I'm actually going to troubleshoot that tomorrow. This stuff can make somebody crazy

Put new Gates belts on and new supercharger idler and tensioner pulleys & did everything else I listed in my last post, except replace the motor and tranny mounts. I was too pooped to do them. But, this weekend, I painted my center console shifter trim, which had a nice big crack in the wood grain, and fixed my bumper up (put black ducktape on the bumper to look like racing stripes... I'll upload pics tomorrow) as well as painted the seat adjustment control covers. The whole car needs new paint, so I figure I'll do it all at once when I actually have a garage to park in. Hoping everything will be good to go after I get this clunk figured out. dunno

Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: '98 SC Riv   '98 SC Riv - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 12:33 pm

ZEP wrote:
Lol, well, all I have to say is... I lovez mah pneumatic wrench. My arms don't feel like limp noodles, which is a win in and of itself heart

Everything went great though. I didn't take pics, as I was too intent on getting things done before passing out, but my dad and I installed new rotors and pads & rebuilt all the caliper pistons. I'm the second owner of this car, but I'm pretty positive the rear rotors were original before this past weekend... they still had the stock retainer clips on them shocked

I put the ABS module in and both the TC and ABS lights (which have been on for *months*) went away instantly. Thanks for the wake up call, albert (if you're reading)!... I'll make sure to replace brake fluid every 2 years instead of replacing modules headbutt We also got the new struts in, but I'm now getting a clunking noise from the front driver's side whenever I brake or turn. I'm thinking one of the control arm bushings may have cracked when working on the suspension. I'm actually going to troubleshoot that tomorrow. This stuff can make somebody crazy

Put new Gates belts on and new supercharger idler and tensioner pulleys & did everything else I listed in my last post, except replace the motor and tranny mounts. I was too pooped to do them. But, this weekend, I painted my center console shifter trim, which had a nice big crack in the wood grain, and fixed my bumper up (put black ducktape on the bumper to look like racing stripes... I'll upload pics tomorrow) as well as painted the seat adjustment control covers. The whole car needs new paint, so I figure I'll do it all at once when I actually have a garage to park in. Hoping everything will be good to go after I get this clunk figured out. dunno

At your first convenience, suggest you inspect the clunking wheel to determine if maybe a caliper bolt worked loose. You did use threadlocker on those suckers, right? Also if your sway bar end links are original it may be that one finally broke. The originals are plastic cans with little metal internal shafts that rust away and break off inside the can -- and you'll never see it. Look for a link with a missing bushing on the bottom where it's supposed to be in the control arm; push up on the bar end to see if it can be moved up while car is sitting (will take some oomph, wear a glove so you get good grip).
Back to top Go down
ZEP
Fanatic
ZEP

PostSubject: Re: '98 SC Riv   '98 SC Riv - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 1:49 pm

You know what *sucks?* Having a car problem going on for a whole week, only to have it go away the day that you schedule to troubleshoot it. I drove all around town, on rough roads, highways and with hard stops and couldn't reproduce the clunking sound at all today.

I've got a lot of steering wheel / front end vibration at highway speeds though, so the car is now getting an alignment done as well as getting new tie rods... there's a lot of vertical movement in the joint when shaking the wheel. This is probably due to getting in that accident a little while back (??)
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: '98 SC Riv   '98 SC Riv - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 1:54 pm

Vertical wheel movement suggests a bad hub (bearing), or a bad lower ball joint.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: '98 SC Riv   '98 SC Riv - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

'98 SC Riv
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum