Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Hard Shifts

Go down 
+15
Abaddon
Derek
TonySmooth89
manofmany
Ridin-Rivi
96RIVMANN
BillBoost37
deekster_caddy
RhinoFLA
jax95riv
Mr.Riviera
NO 4 EVR
racinfan
AA
thrylos
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

Hard Shifts - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hard Shifts   Hard Shifts - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 22, 2010 3:49 pm

Abaddon wrote:
manofmany wrote:
Took the car this morning and it was still shifting pretty firm. Shut it off and came back out and now it's back to shifting smooth as ever.

If it is a sticky solenoid, is this a sign it's going to completely go out soon or just that this could keep happening

That's kinda why I said to wait for "different" symptoms. The TCC Solenoid on this trans has a habit of getting clogged/sticky. It causes a couple different issues. I wouldn't worry about it until then.......you may spend too much time trying to find a ghost.

Also, I was thinking about it. A skewed MAF sensor can cause less then desired shifting performance too. But, if it only happens from 1-2, then the MAF wouldn't make any sense. Again, I'd wait.
Abaddon,
Can you explain to me and others how the MAF sensor could possibly affect the shifting of the trans.
Does it cause delayed or rough shifts and how.?
Thanks for any explanation that ties the trans problem to the MAF. I'm interested in the long answer.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Hard Shifts   Hard Shifts - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 22, 2010 5:08 pm

Rickw wrote:
Abaddon,
Can you explain to me and others how the MAF sensor could possibly affect the shifting of the trans.
Does it cause delayed or rough shifts and how.?
Thanks for any explanation that ties the trans problem to the MAF. I'm interested in the long answer.

I would be absolutely happy to Rick. If AA would point to the proper post for an explanation......no more hijacking!!!! lol
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Hard Shifts   Hard Shifts - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 22, 2010 5:34 pm

Since we're discussing hard shifts in this thread, if you explain how MAFF would be a cause, I can't see how that would be a hijack. It could be the answer we're looking for.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Hard Shifts   Hard Shifts - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 22, 2010 8:09 pm

Hard Shifts - Page 3 Read

As we all (should) know, the MAF measures the amount of incoming air to the engine. Based on this number, the PCM controls the fuel delivery. Those of you who have tuned a N* throttle body know this system. The first thing you do is change the MAF table, which is programmed into the PCM. This table never changes nor adapts. The PCM uses this table to control just about everything. Based on TP, MAF frequency, BARO, and RPM (no 's for Eldo), the PCM supplies the proper amount of fuel needed for the conditions present.

As for the transmission....our cars have a nice little thing called TAP (Transmission Adaptive Shifting). The PCM has cells, much like the MAF table, that it uses to control trans line pressure, which in turn lengthens or shortens the shift times based on sensor inputs. Like the MAF, the PCM compares these pre-determined values to the actual shift times and adjusts line pressures accordingly.....just like the PCM adds/subtracts fuel, it adds/subtracts fluid pressure.
You guys remember that solenoid I replaced in my trans a while back? That's the exact solenoid that controls the line pressures for TAP. Turning the adjusting screw 1/4 turn clockwise puts the line pressures on the max end of the table without setting a code, resulting in permanent "firmer" shifting.

That being said....If you monitor shift times at low throttle and high throttle, they will be less under high throttle/load conditions, meaning the trans shifts faster (firmer) under heavy load. If the PCM detects more incoming air, regardless of TP, BARO, and RPM, it thinks you want to go faster. Let's say at 30% throttle, the g/sec the PCM expects to see from the MAF is around 40g/s. If it were skewed, and read 55g/s, the PCM will add more fuel at that point and more than likely shift firmer because it's reading a higher value indicating "faster". This explains manofmany's car shifting good after shutting the car off and back on again. The PCM will revert back to "normal" mode until it reads that funky reading again.

Now you're going to ask "why isn't the SES light on"? The MAF will not set a code unless it's shorted to power, shorted to ground, or an improper g/s is given for more than 12 seconds consecutively. There is also a window of error of about 6g/s that the MAF can produce without setting a code. At idle, the MAF may read anywhere between 4g/s to 10g/s "safely". So let's say the MAF reads a constant 10g/s at idle, and is always 6g/s higher than "normal" across the entire range. The PCM sees this as ok. Now add another intermittent 10g/s to this equation. As long as it's not for more than 12 seconds, no code will set. If the PCM see's 16g/s more than "normal", and it happens to be at your shift point, you'll get a firmer-than-desired shift.

I hope it makes sense. I tried to make it understandable.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Hard Shifts   Hard Shifts - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 22, 2010 9:20 pm

Is that why a vacuum leak would cause a firmer shift?

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Hard Shifts   Hard Shifts - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 22, 2010 10:14 pm

AA wrote:
Is that why a vacuum leak would cause a firmer shift?

A vacuum leak, depending on where it's located, can cause harsh or soft shifting.
On a vacuum controlled Transmission, a vacuum leak will cause the line pressures to go low or high. By GM definition (on a 4T60E), harsh or soft 1-2 shifting is caused by

--high/low line pressures
--damaged 1-2 Accumulator piston seals or springs
--improperly tightened Accumulator cover bolts
--misaligned gaskets
--Accumulator valve stuck
--incorrect #2 check ball location
--damaged seals on the support sprocket

So yes, a vacuum leak can cause firmer shifts.
Back to top Go down
L67
Aficionado

Name : Matt
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: Hard Shifts   Hard Shifts - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 12:33 am

When the vacuum line to my shift modulator was accidentally disconnected i had a very very harsh 1-2 shift. Also I can confirm the MAF shift issue as my trans was slamming in and out of overdrive today while running with the P0102 MAF code.
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

Name : Rick
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: Hard Shifts   Hard Shifts - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 12:31 pm

The guy I bought my Riv from had a 1996 and he had an issue with a 1-2 shift too I think. Turned out to be a bad wire connection in the harness that sits over the case I think? I'd have to ask him again. frown
Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

Name : manofmany
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: Hard Shifts   Hard Shifts - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 7:50 pm

Are there any specific vac lines that are involved in tranny shifting in the 97's? Replaced my lines and have a pretty firm 1-2 shift. Not a hard shift. but very crisp and firm.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Hard Shifts   Hard Shifts - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 9:03 pm

manofmany wrote:
Are there any specific vac lines that are involved in tranny shifting in the 97's? Replaced my lines and have a pretty firm 1-2 shift. Not a hard shift. but very crisp and firm.

There was a TSB on the 1-2 shift, maybe someone can point to it, I kinda think a synopsis or copy was posted on this site way back when.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

PostSubject: Re: Hard Shifts   Hard Shifts - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 9:21 pm

I've been searching and have yet to come across that. I'll keep looking. Thanks as usual!
Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

PostSubject: Re: Hard Shifts   Hard Shifts - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 7:11 pm

Problem fixed itself this morning about half way through my commute. Back to perfection smile
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Hard Shifts   Hard Shifts - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 7:30 pm

manofmany wrote:
Problem fixed itself this morning about half way through my commute. Back to perfection smile

do you think it might be time for a fluid & filter change?
Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

PostSubject: Re: Hard Shifts   Hard Shifts - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 7:41 pm

albertj wrote:
manofmany wrote:

do you think it might be time for a fluid & filter change?

That's actually first on my to-do list along with oil pan gasket. My thinking is that maybe the solenoid is sticking after the car sits for awhile. May not be, but it's definitely overdue for new fluid.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hard Shifts   Hard Shifts - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Hard Shifts
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3