Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Help, car shifts from 4th to 3rd gear

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
ajohnson
Special

Name : Andrew Johnson
Merit : 0

Help, car shifts from 4th to 3rd gear Empty
PostSubject: Help, car shifts from 4th to 3rd gear   Help, car shifts from 4th to 3rd gear EmptyThu Jun 04, 2009 7:01 pm

I have a 95 supercharged riviera that is shifting from 4th gear down to 3rd after it warms up from about 20 minutes of driving. The car also seems to chugg a little at slower speeds when I'm accelerating lightly, like its not shifting up. The car threw a P0740 code, torque converter clutch circuit. I had the transmission flushed and filter replaced, lock out solenoid replaced, all the solenoids tested out okay electronically, but after all that I still have the same issue. The car drives fine except for this issue, please help.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Help, car shifts from 4th to 3rd gear   Help, car shifts from 4th to 3rd gear EmptyThu Jun 04, 2009 7:07 pm

Did you have it flushed before the problem started or after.?
Back to top Go down
ajohnson
Special

PostSubject: Re: Help, car shifts from 4th to 3rd gear   Help, car shifts from 4th to 3rd gear EmptyThu Jun 04, 2009 9:08 pm

after
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Help, car shifts from 4th to 3rd gear   Help, car shifts from 4th to 3rd gear EmptyThu Jun 04, 2009 10:39 pm

are you sure it's shifting to 3rd, or are you just feeling the torque converter unlock, which puts you at a very similar RPM to 3rd. When you think it's bumped up to 3rd, try moving the shifter from OD to D or 3 (I forget what's there) and see if it shifts again...

anyhow, I have heard so many problems with TCC solenoids and Pressure Control solenoids gettings stuck from a tiny tiny piece of dirt from a flush. I strongly advise against flushing, only do a basic fluid/filter change. Flushing seems to have a bad habit of dislodging that little piece of dirt that horks your solenoid.

With luck I have heard of somebody with a TECH-II (GM's do-it-all computer tool) activating the solenoid seperately and dislodging the blockage, whatever it may be. You'd have to know a GM mechanic well to get your hands on one, though. A trans shop may or may not have access to such a device.
Back to top Go down
ajohnson
Special

PostSubject: Re: Help, car shifts from 4th to 3rd gear   Help, car shifts from 4th to 3rd gear EmptyFri Jun 05, 2009 10:06 am

thanks for the help, I'll give your suggestions a try
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Help, car shifts from 4th to 3rd gear   Help, car shifts from 4th to 3rd gear EmptyFri Jun 05, 2009 10:10 am

ajohnson wrote:
The car also seems to chugg a little at slower speeds when I'm accelerating lightly, like its not shifting up.
This is a classic TCC solenoid not acting properly. It is not releasing when trying to accelerate at moderate throttle position, causing the "chugging' feeling and other times it is engaging too soon and/or too late.
I had similar issues with mine before my overhaul. All my solenoids tested good also.
But had a problem with fluid bypassing the solenoid plungers due to a scored bore. In my case they were able to install a kit that requires boring the bore oversize and installing a sleeve. That took care of the fluid leaking past the solenoid plunger on the high pressure solenoid.
The fix does not necessarily require an overhaul though, just need to gain access to the valve body and remove solenoids, inspect bores and repair if necessary. Not an easy job.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help, car shifts from 4th to 3rd gear   Help, car shifts from 4th to 3rd gear Empty

Back to top Go down

Help, car shifts from 4th to 3rd gear
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   Supercharged 3800 Tech :: Series I Engine & Transmission-
Jump to: