Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Modding 101 - How to Increase Acceleration Performance

Go down 
+26
matt270avian
joshuadalegrimes
Selcouth
98riv
highwaywarrior
SuperRivL67
charlieRobinson
RoughNecks17
Hometown Hero
RaceRiv1
deekster_caddy
1998 Riv
98buickriv
GreenMonster
YoungIke8732
Jason
Abaddon
BKRIV
albertj
LT1Squirrel
Northeast
shaeed72
SCbuick010
Mr.Riviera
T Riley
AA
30 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
ZCampbell
Rookie

Name : Zach Campbell
Merit : 0

FAQ: Modding 101 - How to Increase Acceleration Performance - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Modding   FAQ: Modding 101 - How to Increase Acceleration Performance - Page 5 EmptySat Apr 04, 2015 10:18 pm

Hi guys I'm new to this forum and modding as well so bare with me if u will, I have a 96 riviera sc with SD headers down to a 35 in glass pack for a resonater and a weapon air intake, I want to go smaller on pulley sizes but I Want to play it safe as well cuz it's the stock pulley, I don't have money for the gauge to scan for kr....I'm just curious if I can go any smaller with the mods I got and if so, what size?
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Modding 101 - How to Increase Acceleration Performance   FAQ: Modding 101 - How to Increase Acceleration Performance - Page 5 EmptyTue Sep 01, 2015 2:55 pm

I should have done this in the spring but whatev.

I have terrible IAT driving around town.

I am ordering header wrap tonight to wrap the crossover, at least. and im gonna try to fab a shield for the throttle body.

maybe some kind of phenolic plated shield.

Almost 50 degrees over ambient.... terrible just terrible..
FAQ: Modding 101 - How to Increase Acceleration Performance - Page 5 Img_0710
Back to top Go down
chitown_riv98
Fanatic

Name : Ruben
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Modding 101 - How to Increase Acceleration Performance   FAQ: Modding 101 - How to Increase Acceleration Performance - Page 5 EmptyTue Sep 01, 2015 3:20 pm

shocked awesome set up sir. Gotta check how bad this thing is knockn on heavens door before I blow the engine driving fast and furious on Lake Shore Drive. Does that display on the radio charlie or did you delete it? That's sweet
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Modding 101 - How to Increase Acceleration Performance   FAQ: Modding 101 - How to Increase Acceleration Performance - Page 5 EmptyTue Sep 01, 2015 3:53 pm

chitown_riv98 wrote:
shocked awesome set up sir. Gotta check how bad this thing is knockn on heavens door before I blow the engine driving fast and furious on Lake Shore Drive. Does that display on the radio charlie or did you delete it? That's sweet

I deleted oem double din and relocated a single din to the cd tray holder thing.

i am painting my dash right now so it's in skeletor mode for now.

i have it hooked up to my stereo receiver and it's loaded with mp3s n stuff. my droid phone with infinite data plan has wifi tethering so i'm set in entertainment district. netflix all day if you wanted to.

anyone have any suggestions in how to get IAT near ambient? I am going to start insulating and wrapping this shit out the engine bay. Can't believe ive dealt with it for this long.. stay tuned.. freak
Back to top Go down
chitown_riv98
Fanatic

Name : Ruben
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Modding 101 - How to Increase Acceleration Performance   FAQ: Modding 101 - How to Increase Acceleration Performance - Page 5 EmptyTue Sep 01, 2015 4:12 pm

I noticed after I installed my ZZP catless downpipes and front plog that I can feel the heat radiating off the floor. I'm planning to do a thick ass header wrap then hit it with that spray they have to seal it in. Maybe vht header spray?
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Modding 101 - How to Increase Acceleration Performance   FAQ: Modding 101 - How to Increase Acceleration Performance - Page 5 EmptyTue Sep 01, 2015 4:14 pm

Is that while moving or after stop and go traffic?
Where is the IAT located in the FWI?

We pretty much have the exact same mods except cam vs rockers and i dont expect my IAT to be below 100 in the summer. Car off in the parking lot doesnt even see less than 100* when its 86 out down here.
I do have wrapped headers and im sure it helps. pretty easy to do just the crossover, but dont expect miracles for temp drop

Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Modding 101 - How to Increase Acceleration Performance   FAQ: Modding 101 - How to Increase Acceleration Performance - Page 5 EmptyTue Sep 01, 2015 7:46 pm

Mr.Riviera wrote:
Is that while moving or after stop and go traffic?
Where is the IAT located in the FWI?

We pretty much have the exact same mods except cam vs rockers and i dont expect my IAT to be below 100 in the summer. Car off in the parking lot doesnt even see less than 100* when its 86 out down here.
I do have wrapped headers and im sure it helps. pretty easy to do just the crossover, but dont expect miracles for temp drop

stop n go/ cruising aroudn town. IAT is in the N* throttle body.

I plan on only wrapping the crossover section. Reading a lot of negative reviews about headwrap but i think they are talking about wrapping the headers/the entire engine exhaust sections.

I only want to insulate the crossover section to cut down on the roast happening below the throttle body. Combined with a shield mounted on the throttle body to futher protector and a will insulated intake air box in the fenderwell. That's my current plan. if I can get within 10% of ambient temps I would be happy. Is that even possible?

Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Modding 101 - How to Increase Acceleration Performance   FAQ: Modding 101 - How to Increase Acceleration Performance - Page 5 EmptyWed Sep 02, 2015 11:23 am

charlieRobinson wrote:
anyone have any suggestions in how to get IAT near ambient? I am going to start insulating and wrapping this shit out the engine bay. Can't believe ive dealt with it for this long.. stay tuned.. freak

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t29-cold-air-intake-cai-vs-fender-well-intake-fwi
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Modding 101 - How to Increase Acceleration Performance   FAQ: Modding 101 - How to Increase Acceleration Performance - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Modding 101 - How to Increase Acceleration Performance
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5