Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Spring mod: top work

Go down 
+6
deekster_caddy
urbsnspices
Mr.Riviera
AA
BillBoost37
dreww
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

Spring mod: top work - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spring mod: top work   Spring mod: top work - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 11, 2008 8:50 pm

It took me months to get my PowerTunr from WBS, and very little information. Getting any update was like pulling teeth. Mike blamed Charles at DHP, and maybe it was the beginning of the end. Near the end of my wait Mike told me they would be making up for the delay by sending me the newer USB model. I did not receive that, just the old serial port model. Great, find an old laptop with serial port or get an adapter frown

I did eventually get it, but it really took months, and I had a very hard time getting any feedback from Mike. I would not order from WBS again.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Spring mod: top work   Spring mod: top work - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 11, 2008 9:53 pm

Mine took a while, too, but I don't blame WBS for it. It's generally accepted that DHP was responsible for the delays, at least from what I've read.

Mike has always answered my inquiries, no matter how minor they were. He also arranged to sell the PowrTuner for my Riv, which I believe was the first one sold. Before that everyone said you couldn't tune our cars.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
dreww
Junkie
dreww

Merit : 9

PostSubject: Re: Spring mod: top work   Spring mod: top work - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 1:02 am

It has arrived. I dont know alot about porting, but from what Ive seen this job doesnt look that bad. Is the hole "plugged" on the bottom of the "outlet" pic the EGR hole?

sorry, pics are kinda small. Camera phone only.
intake porting Spring mod: top work - Page 2 2004299394170241889_th

outlet porting Spring mod: top work - Page 2 2004288465517371728_th
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

Merit : 26

PostSubject: Re: Spring mod: top work   Spring mod: top work - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 4:41 pm

That bottom center hole.? That is the EGR.
Back to top Go down
dreww
Junkie
dreww

PostSubject: Re: Spring mod: top work   Spring mod: top work - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 15, 2008 3:17 pm

BillBoost37 wrote:
That bottom center hole.? That is the EGR.

thanks, there appears to be a plug in the bottom of the intake too so I thought thats what it was.

the two smaller holes above the EGR hole....are those the coolant holes?
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Spring mod: top work   Spring mod: top work - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 17, 2008 7:26 am

You bet they are. If you stuck something like the straw that comes attached to most spray cans into one of the holes..you should see it looking into the other end.
Back to top Go down
dreww
Junkie
dreww

PostSubject: Re: Spring mod: top work   Spring mod: top work - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 24, 2008 1:12 am

Ok, did the job this weekend.
only took 5 hours with just me and another guy on it. Rebuilding the SC actually took longer that just about everything else. Engine bay is alot cleaner too as the intake was leaking oil over everything for the last 5 years.

Problems encounted:
1. the fuel injector o-rings were a bitch to get off. And I snapped like 2 or 3 of the retaining rings that hold the o-rings on. Broke some pulling off the old rings - broke some putting on the new rings. I didnt break them off completely though, they are still holding the o-rings in. It doesnt seem to be a problem yet. Where do the other 6 rings go? Where the injector hooks to the fuel rail? I didnt replace those, but will when I upgrade injectors.
2. The damn vacuum tree relocation. What a pain in the ass. I went from running 6 lines off 4 ports to running 6 lines off of ONE ports. Its a mess of t's in my engine bay. But no vac leaks that I can tell.
3. My friend forgot to hook up the boost control so the BBV wasn't making boost. I fixed that, and my aeroforce reads boost, but my boost gauge doesnt?
4. For some reason, the fuel rail is pushing again the BBV and BC alot more than with the older SC housing. I have to loosen the BC and move it a little because the fuel rail was pushing it into the BBV stem and not allowing it to open up enough.
5. a noticeable ticking. almost like a rocker but different. My only guess is the old SC rotors in the new housing. The SC is noticeably louder too. Bigger difference than with the FWI. Thats how noticeable.
6. pulled two codes upon startup. one was a misfire on #5, the other I dont know but it turned the traction control light on. It went away after the first DTC clearing. The misfire remained after repeated DTC clearings, but went away after the engine warmed up. Guess was some dirt in fell in via an injector hole.
7. havent driven it alot yet, but the fuel trims seem to be all over the place. Last checked, they are pretty normal at idle, but go real lean with anything more than 20% throttle. Obviously ALOT more air is going through, but the difference in fuel trims due to it is more than when I added rockers and headers. I think it will run my injectors nearly static to keep up with the fueling requirements on my 3.25 pully
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Spring mod: top work   Spring mod: top work - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 24, 2008 8:18 am

If you are heading lean like that, it's very likely it's the pcm. Did you unhook the power when you did all this work? (Resetting fuel trims etc may help). Also consider spraying the area and looking for vacuum leaks with carb/TB cleaner to ensure all the gaskets are sealed.

#5 misfire... Don't let yourself assume it is gone. Check the plug, coil and wire. I love #5...it's right up front and easy to get to. You don't want to see an Acura in need of a spanking and see a flashing engine light from #5 misfiring. Always prepare for the Acuras.

Ticking from the SC? It should be quiet with new bearings. Can you get a vid or pics of the noise and fuel rail to BCS issue.
Back to top Go down
dreww
Junkie
dreww

PostSubject: Re: Spring mod: top work   Spring mod: top work - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 25, 2008 1:15 am

BillBoost37 wrote:
If you are heading lean like that, it's very likely it's the pcm. Did you unhook the power when you did all this work? (Resetting fuel trims etc may help). Also consider spraying the area and looking for vacuum leaks with carb/TB cleaner to ensure all the gaskets are sealed.

#5 misfire... Don't let yourself assume it is gone. Check the plug, coil and wire. I love #5...it's right up front and easy to get to. You don't want to see an Acura in need of a spanking and see a flashing engine light from #5 misfiring. Always prepare for the Acuras.

Ticking from the SC? It should be quiet with new bearings. Can you get a vid or pics of the noise and fuel rail to BCS issue.

yes, I unhooked the power and reset the fuel trims already. I might try the TB cleaner trick but im pretty sure the gaskets are sealed. Just trying to fix the vacuum cluster*$%^ I got going on. Do you know the part # for that T -tree fitting on the new SC housings? I noticed you mentioned it either here or another post.

I did check the plug, coil and wire. All was good. Plug looked great. But it went away and still hasnt returned. As for acuras....well, nobody ever tries to race me to tell ya the truth.

I'll try to get a vid for the sound of the SC and show how the fuel rail rides up agains the BBV and boost control solenoid. I probably wont get to look at the car again until later in the week ( spring break over )
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Spring mod: top work   Spring mod: top work - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 25, 2008 8:10 am

Mmmm T fitting by the BCS or under the snout?
Back to top Go down
dreww
Junkie
dreww

PostSubject: Re: Spring mod: top work   Spring mod: top work - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 12:40 am

BillBoost37 wrote:
Mmmm T fitting by the BCS or under the snout?
i got the tree for the earlier SC housing that goes by the BCS, but it wont fit anywhere on the newer SC housing.

I need the one by the snout.
EDIT: I found part number 24508742 but cant get a pic.

is this what it looks like?
Spring mod: top work - Page 2 IMG_4179

I see one line that runs to the rear vacport on the motor, and one that leads to the front. But the single front line needs to run vacuum to:
1: fuel pressure regulator
2: boost control solenoid
3: boost guage
4: one line runs into the throttle body too I believe. Then extends to the transmission modulator.
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Spring mod: top work   Spring mod: top work - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 6:39 am

Darn it darn it darn it.. I have pics of nearly everything except that vac line.

If you have two map sensors then the end of the left side on your horseshoe should first encounter a T for the first sensor and then an elbow for the second sensor.

On the rest of the line aka right side, the only part I see missing is the T where the FPR should be located.

The transmission modulator gets vacuum from the throttle body on the L67 TB or from the throttle body adapter plate fitting on other TB's requiring an adapter plate.
Back to top Go down
dreww
Junkie
dreww

PostSubject: Re: Spring mod: top work   Spring mod: top work - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 27, 2008 12:52 am

BillBoost37 wrote:
Darn it darn it darn it.. I have pics of nearly everything except that vac line.

If you have two map sensors then the end of the left side on your horseshoe should first encounter a T for the first sensor and then an elbow for the second sensor.

On the rest of the line aka right side, the only part I see missing is the T where the FPR should be located.

The transmission modulator gets vacuum from the throttle body on the L67 TB or from the throttle body adapter plate fitting on other TB's requiring an adapter plate.

I only got one MAP sensor, guess the newer models (97 or 98+) had two?
My transmission modular (stock) ran a T to the TB and then to the vac/boost port. Are you saying I can just run it to the TB, and it doesnt need boost readings at all? That would clean up one vac line.

heres pics concerning the BCS hitting the fuel rail:
You can see how it was hitting the fuel rail, even bending it a little.
Spring mod: top work - Page 2 2000422640288777587_th

Spring mod: top work - Page 2 >

Heres my vac line setup dunce
Spring mod: top work - Page 2 2000423831956805534_th

and the BCS moved so it doesnt crowd the fuel rail:
Spring mod: top work - Page 2 2000491944463236380_th

I got a video two but forgot my USB cord at home, it shows how loud the SC is now. I'll post it tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Spring mod: top work   Spring mod: top work - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 27, 2008 9:14 am

How is your boost gauge connected? I assume it's got a vacuum line, where exactly does that line connect to?

That 'ticking' could be a spark plug wire shorting to something, which could be your misfire...
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Spring mod: top work   Spring mod: top work - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 27, 2008 10:19 am

the pics are a bit small and fuzzy..

But..your bCS should come straight down from the nut that holds it to the BCA. The tab may have gotten bent.
Back to top Go down
dreww
Junkie
dreww

PostSubject: Re: Spring mod: top work   Spring mod: top work - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 28, 2008 1:03 am

deekster_caddy wrote:
How is your boost gauge connected? I assume it's got a vacuum line, where exactly does that line connect to?

That 'ticking' could be a spark plug wire shorting to something, which could be your misfire...

I fixed the boost gauge, the line broke right behind the guage. Smalle vac leak due to it too. Guess there was too much slack and it kinked when I pushed the gauge back into the gaugepod. I cut off about 5 inches and reattached the hose, all good for now. I dont know how the line broke, I NEVER moved it during the intake project.

I'll try to attach a video of the sound.

BillBoost37 wrote:
the pics are a bit small and fuzzy..

But..your bCS should come straight down from the nut that holds it to the BCA. The tab may have gotten bent.

thanks, but I know where its SUPPOSED to go. smile

Thats where it was, still attached to the BCA in the first pics. ( I know they sucked).
I had to remove it and place it separately next to the BCA, works fine but still dont know why the new SC housing caused me to have to modify
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Spring mod: top work   Spring mod: top work - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 1:56 pm

[quote="dreww"]EDIT: I found part number 24508742 but cant get a pic.

is this what it looks like?
Spring mod: top work - Page 2 IMG_4179

I just bought that part # from my local dealer. Your picture looks the same to me. I was going to replace my line, but something doesn't seem right. It APPEARS to me that my current line goes under the SC snout, then continues on along the backside of the engine, WAY longer than the new lines. Am I missing something? It seems to be a continuous line around the back of the engine, or can I just not see where the new one plugs in around the back psngr corner of the engine?
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Spring mod: top work   Spring mod: top work - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 1:57 pm

BTW, that part # IS listed for 96-99 SC'd Rivs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spring mod: top work   Spring mod: top work - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Spring mod: top work
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2