Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

How fast to reach boost and how much throttle.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
roadstar99
Rookie

Name : Gene
Merit : 0

How fast to reach boost and how much throttle. Empty
PostSubject: How fast to reach boost and how much throttle.   How fast to reach boost and how much throttle. EmptySun Mar 09, 2008 7:29 pm

I just installed my NEW gauges in my car,

BOOST
OIL PRESSURE
AIR FUEL GAUGE

Turned out real nice were I mounted them will post pictures ASAP!

Anyways how fast must you be going to see boost , My gauge is a VAC/ BOOST
and it works but I was doing 60mph and it was only reading 0 psi crusing. but Must I be on the throttle for it to read while accelerating only!

Last edited by roadstar99 on Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: How fast to reach boost and how much throttle.   How fast to reach boost and how much throttle. EmptySun Mar 09, 2008 7:37 pm

Boost is commanded by calculated load. You can be going any speed, in any gear, with any throttle position, and you can't know the exact amount of boost. Generally though, boost starts as the PCM senses load, so a demand for acceleration, going up hill, or being in overdrive (TCC lock-up) can all take you out of vacuum. Once you're in boost, it's mainly a function of RPM that increases PSI. Max boost will usually occur at WOT at your peak RPM, and you'll see another peak at low RPM during WOT, especially after shifts (max load). TCC lock-up in OD is also a high boost area, because your engine needs the extra air-fuel to push the car at low RPMs.

Please post some pics of your new gauges!

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
roadstar99
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: How fast to reach boost and how much throttle.   How fast to reach boost and how much throttle. EmptyMon Mar 10, 2008 7:54 pm

Thanks Aaron! I will post some tomarrow, I am off and I am planning on hooking up my AIR INTAKE do you know what size the throttle body is on the 95 so I get the correct connector., I plan on a 45 deg and a 6in straight and then the aircleaner. any suggestions?

I am not shure on Throttle body size 3-4in adapter or 3.5 - 4in adapter then 45 deg then 6in straight then filter???????
Back to top Go down
RhinoFLA
Aficionado
RhinoFLA

Name : Ryan
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: How fast to reach boost and how much throttle.   How fast to reach boost and how much throttle. EmptyMon Mar 10, 2008 8:42 pm

Stock throttle body is 3.5 in. What brand gauges did you go with? Where'd ya mount em? Pics man! It sounds like you have an under the hood intake planned? You might want to reconsider and just drop it into the fenderwell for a bit cooler air. For the quick, easy, and painless fenderwell intake, I used the Intense intake tubing, 2 1/2 feet of it took me from my throttle body into the fenderwell with plenty to spare.
Back to top Go down
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

Name : Anthony
Merit : 16

PostSubject: Re: How fast to reach boost and how much throttle.   How fast to reach boost and how much throttle. EmptyMon Mar 10, 2008 9:17 pm

Would you say you have enough to spare where you could get away with 2 feet of tubing?
Back to top Go down
roadstar99
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: How fast to reach boost and how much throttle.   How fast to reach boost and how much throttle. EmptyTue Mar 11, 2008 11:08 am

Well Rhino, this is alitle out of my Knowledge, w/ Supercharged engines. I am a cetified SAT Tech in Computer and Electrical Diagnostics. also Machine Shop. State and Emissions Inspector . I also just passed my first ASE certification in Brakes. 7 more to go.

We didn't do alot of trainning on Superchargers or Turbos in school so this is NEW to me I used to make my power the old way , Bore Job , High Comp Pistons, Roller Cam, Hill Born Injection , Turbo 400 Trans. The Old days. Now with todays Tech, I had to go back to school and learn it from scratch.

Todays engines are the same as old days, but everything is computer controlled and sensored and relayed. I think you can get the drift. 18 months and $32,000. Speacialized Auto Technician Gene Green now works at Pep Boys making $18.00 per hour flat rate. not bad for 2 yrs out of school.

Anyways I will try to tuck it to the corner as much as possible I might add another 45 deg and 6 in straight to the mix..

Sucks you live in Florida , it would be nice to meet and shoot the shit. Hell I could even give you a professional fuel service on you beast, for FREE. I have a few 3 step kits laying around.

Last edited by roadstar99 on Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
roadstar99
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: How fast to reach boost and how much throttle.   How fast to reach boost and how much throttle. EmptyTue Mar 11, 2008 11:13 am

RhinoFLA wrote:
Stock throttle body is 3.5 in. What brand gauges did you go with? Where'd ya mount em?

Glow Shift is the company, got all 3 gauges for $100 dollars. They have seven different colors you can change them and they are white faced. I will post pictures tonight.
Back to top Go down
roadstar99
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: How fast to reach boost and how much throttle.   How fast to reach boost and how much throttle. EmptyTue Mar 11, 2008 11:24 am

How do you post pictures??[/url]
Back to top Go down
roadstar99
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: How fast to reach boost and how much throttle.   How fast to reach boost and how much throttle. EmptyTue Mar 11, 2008 11:29 am

Your cost $99.00 Retial for $249.00

LINK

Link above will give you a good look of the gauges, they also have BLACK, SMOKED, TINTED GAUGES

Last edited by roadstar99 on Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: How fast to reach boost and how much throttle.   How fast to reach boost and how much throttle. EmptyTue Mar 11, 2008 12:08 pm

roadstar99 wrote:
How do you post pictures??[/url]

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/faq.htm

According to the auction, retail is $249. I do not understand how anyone could pay that much for a gauge that only shows a single parameter. For about the same price, you can get an Aeroforce gauge/scanner.. I can understand $99 though, and those individual guages do look nice.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
RhinoFLA
Aficionado
RhinoFLA

PostSubject: Re: How fast to reach boost and how much throttle.   How fast to reach boost and how much throttle. EmptyTue Mar 11, 2008 11:16 pm

TonySmooth89 wrote:
Would you say you have enough to spare where you could get away with 2 feet of tubing?

Hmm, i'm thinking you could. I don't know for sure so you might want to get a little extra.
Back to top Go down
RhinoFLA
Aficionado
RhinoFLA

PostSubject: Re: How fast to reach boost and how much throttle.   How fast to reach boost and how much throttle. EmptyTue Mar 11, 2008 11:19 pm

roadstar99 wrote:
Well Rhino, this is alitle out of my Knowledge, w/ Supercharged engines. I am a cetified SAT Tech in Computer and Electrical Diagnostics. also Machine Shop. State and Emissions Inspector . I also just passed my first ASE certification in Brakes. 7 more to go.

We didn't do alot of trainning on Superchargers or Turbos in school so this is NEW to me I used to make my power the old way , Bore Job , High Comp Pistons, Roller Cam, Hill Born Injection , Turbo 400 Trans. The Old days. Now with todays Tech, I had to go back to school and learn it from scratch.

Todays engines are the same as old days, but everything is computer controlled and sensored and relayed. I think you can get the drift. 18 months and $32,000. Speacialized Auto Technician Gene Green now works at Pep Boys making $18.00 per hour flat rate. not bad for 2 yrs out of school.

Anyways I will try to tuck it to the corner as much as possible I might add another 45 deg and 6 in straight to the mix..

Sucks you live in Florida , it would be nice to meet and shoot the shit. Hell I could even give you a professional fuel service on you beast, for FREE. I have a few 3 step kits laying around.

Totally understand ya. I've helped my dad and other older school mechanics and things are so much easier.. no tuning, no computers, it's just bolt this on, tighten that down, done. If you want to check out the different go-fast modifications for our engine here's the link (including the fenderwell intake.)

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/series-ii-engine-transmission-f4/series-ii-supercharged-engine-modifications-t2571.htm

Thanks for the offer on the service! seems everyone here on the forums is quite some distance from me other then Matt.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: How fast to reach boost and how much throttle.   How fast to reach boost and how much throttle. EmptyTue Mar 11, 2008 11:38 pm

keep in mind that link Ryan posted is for series II guys, not the '95's.
Pep boys huh? i used to be a tech I there. i love working on cars, but the people and the environment i was in simply sucked.(im sure yours is different though) i remember all those monthly tests for different systems, it always scared me when one of the other low level guys didnt quite pass a test, like Brakes, and then went out into the bay to change them on someones car nervous
do you still get an extra $1 an hour for each ASE certification?

Back to top Go down
RhinoFLA
Aficionado
RhinoFLA

PostSubject: Re: How fast to reach boost and how much throttle.   How fast to reach boost and how much throttle. EmptyWed Mar 12, 2008 7:32 pm

Quote :
keep in mind that link Ryan posted is for series II guys, not the '95's.

Noooooo frown I didn't even catch that. headbutt
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How fast to reach boost and how much throttle.   How fast to reach boost and how much throttle. Empty

Back to top Go down

How fast to reach boost and how much throttle.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   Supercharged 3800 Tech :: Series II Engine & Transmission-
Jump to: