Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Bench Seats, Leather vs. Cloth

Go down 
+26
Yardley
al_roethlisberger
otto95
Andysdorm
albertj
themanwithsauce
FIREMANBOB
RivieraTim
RoughNecks17
Z-type
Riv95SC
Abaddon
99Rivman
moldymac
SupersportSteve
96riv
stan
SpaceBar
andrzejsze
AA
ibmoses
TonySmooth89
palermocorey90
nothincame2mind
1998 Riv
Shintsu
30 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
nothincame2mind
Aficionado

Name : Ryan
Merit : 20

Bench Seats, Leather vs. Cloth - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bench Seats, Leather vs. Cloth   Bench Seats, Leather vs. Cloth - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 9:36 am

99Rivman wrote:
AA wrote:
Bench seats were an option from the factory (with column shift on the tree), but not many were ordered. I've seen pictures - some of our members have them.
Sorry Aaron but the cloth bench was standard from the factory when these first came out, adding the leather to the bench was an option, and the leather buckets were the next option. I think that changed in '97 and the buckets were standard and you couldn't get the bench any longer but I'm not sure about the year that it changed. You are right that there isn’t many out there but that is because most people went with the optional buckets.

David is correct about them being rare! I have a friend that has a blue one with the blue leather bench seat, I believe that and the supercharger was the only two options on his car. I have heard of one other member in the ROA that has one with the cloth bench but have never seen one.

I want his ashtray!!!

I've got a bench and I love it. I know that buckets are what most have, but every time I see a Riv with buckets it looks weird to me. Probably because the first Riv I've ever been in was mine.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Bench Seats, Leather vs. Cloth   Bench Seats, Leather vs. Cloth - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 12:09 pm

I've seen a few of them was I was at the Buick dealer. I was like WTF!? scratch
Back to top Go down
Riv95SC
Enthusiast
Riv95SC

Name : Riv95SC
Merit : 6

PostSubject: Re: Bench Seats, Leather vs. Cloth   Bench Seats, Leather vs. Cloth - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 7:43 pm

Yes, I've got one. They are rare, and for some reason it seems most all of them are blue like mine. Here's a few shots:

MINE
Bench Seats, Leather vs. Cloth - Page 2 Myriv510

Bench Seats, Leather vs. Cloth - Page 2 Myriv310

Saved this from an ad just because it was so weird to see cloth:
Bench Seats, Leather vs. Cloth - Page 2 95bluc10

Incidentally, the Olds Aurora had no such option--so it was a weird case of the four-door version having a standard console and the coupe a standard column shift.
Back to top Go down
Z-type
Aficionado
Z-type

Name : Andrew Zamiska
Merit : 63

PostSubject: Re: Bench Seats, Leather vs. Cloth   Bench Seats, Leather vs. Cloth - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 8:46 pm

I was just at my junk yard and there was a '95 there that was blue, with leather blue interior, bench seat/column shift, AND supercharged. It was neat seeing a more rare car like that. Still pretty classy looking. Unfortunately the car was a pile of crap, but it was still there, and nifty.
Back to top Go down
RoughNecks17
RoughNecks17

Name : Jordan M
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: Bench Seats, Leather vs. Cloth   Bench Seats, Leather vs. Cloth - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 1:20 am

Z-type wrote:
and nifty.

lol
Back to top Go down
SupersportSteve
Amateur

Name : Steve
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Bench Seats, Leather vs. Cloth   Bench Seats, Leather vs. Cloth - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 8:23 am

Mine has a gray leather bench and is supercharged.
Back to top Go down
http://www.csb25.com
RivieraTim
Amateur
RivieraTim

Name : Tim

PostSubject: Re: Bench Seats, Leather vs. Cloth   Bench Seats, Leather vs. Cloth - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 12:39 pm

Interesting seeing other ways that these cars were ordered...thanks for sharing!
Back to top Go down
FIREMANBOB
Special
FIREMANBOB

Name : Bobby
Merit : 0

PostSubject: 96 Riviera is this car rare?   Bench Seats, Leather vs. Cloth - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 20, 2011 7:17 pm

Just bought this 96 with a column shift and bench seats,,,Is this car rare or just a base model.
Back to top Go down
themanwithsauce
Enthusiast
themanwithsauce

Name : Chris
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: Bench Seats, Leather vs. Cloth   Bench Seats, Leather vs. Cloth - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 20, 2011 7:23 pm

It's very uncommon but if I remember it was the base model with the buckets and floor shifter being the most common. Also the bulk of rivieras are the 95s so any year after that they get rarer and rarer.

See this post - https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t6444-faq-how-rare-is-your-riviera-or-other-gm-car and lookup your vin to see what rare options yours has. Who knows, you might have something to trot across barret jackson in 20 or 30 years razz. Keep her clean!
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: Bench Seats, Leather vs. Cloth   Bench Seats, Leather vs. Cloth - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 20, 2011 11:59 pm

FIREMANBOB wrote:
Just bought this 96 with a column shift and bench seats,,,Is this car rare or just a base model.

IIRC it was the base model, another thread on this site states very few were actually delivered.
Back to top Go down
Andysdorm
Aficionado
Andysdorm

Name : Andrew
Merit : 6

PostSubject: Re: Bench Seats, Leather vs. Cloth   Bench Seats, Leather vs. Cloth - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 9:31 am

That's extremely rare.

Does it have leather or cloth? Can you post some pics for us?
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/671386
otto95

Name : John P.

PostSubject: Re: Bench Seats, Leather vs. Cloth   Bench Seats, Leather vs. Cloth - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 10:12 am

I parked next to a blue n/a '95 Riviera at my daughter's orthodontist appointment yesterday afternoon - it had some window stickers from a previous life in Florida, which is probably why it looked in as nice condition as it did. When I looked through the window, it was a blue leather split bench seat with column shift. When you're used to bucket seats with a console, column shift without a console sure looks different...
Back to top Go down
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

Name : Al Roethlisberger
Merit : 24

PostSubject: Cloth interior, and bench seat - for those that have never seen one   Bench Seats, Leather vs. Cloth - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 04, 2013 7:04 pm

For those that have never seen the bench seat and cloth interior option, here are a few photos of a 95 with the red cloth interior:

Bench Seats, Leather vs. Cloth - Page 2 00110

Bench Seats, Leather vs. Cloth - Page 2 00211

Bench Seats, Leather vs. Cloth - Page 2 00310

A few more photos of the car are currently at the following CL ad:

http://billings.craigslist.org/cto/4105968258.html

Bench Seats, Leather vs. Cloth - Page 2 00410

Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

PostSubject: Re: Bench Seats, Leather vs. Cloth   Bench Seats, Leather vs. Cloth - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 04, 2013 8:24 pm

Hell NO......
Back to top Go down
Yardley
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Bench Seats, Leather vs. Cloth   Bench Seats, Leather vs. Cloth - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 04, 2013 10:23 pm

Ewww.
Back to top Go down
http://www.1badriv.com
Johnny5
Fanatic
Johnny5

Name : Going Nowhere Fast

PostSubject: Re: Bench Seats, Leather vs. Cloth   Bench Seats, Leather vs. Cloth - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 04, 2013 10:29 pm

Lol velour used to be the luxury back then
Back to top Go down
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

Name : Al Roethlisberger
Merit : 24

PostSubject: Re: Bench Seats, Leather vs. Cloth   Bench Seats, Leather vs. Cloth - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 04, 2013 10:35 pm

My 1980 Olds 98 Regency had a very nice pillow tufted and embroidered burgundy velour interior. It was great, very comfortable and really good looking, very classy.

We had a 1981 Park Avenue and 1983 98 as well, both with leather seating, but the 1980 with velour was a lot more comfortable especially when really hot or cold outside, and definitely on long drives. One downside was that the velour acted like a lint-brush and would pull your clothes depending on which way you moved.

I don't know if I'd like this generation Riviera with a cloth interior though, especially since it is such a plain fabric, but then again it certainly would be "different" cyclops 
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

PostSubject: Re: Bench Seats, Leather vs. Cloth   Bench Seats, Leather vs. Cloth - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 04, 2013 10:42 pm

Cloth,bench,red........not me....haha...
Back to top Go down
Johnny5
Fanatic
Johnny5

Name : Going Nowhere Fast

PostSubject: Re: Bench Seats, Leather vs. Cloth   Bench Seats, Leather vs. Cloth - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 05, 2013 3:48 am

And dont forget the piping around the headrest another added luxury
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

PostSubject: Re: Bench Seats, Leather vs. Cloth   Bench Seats, Leather vs. Cloth - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 05, 2013 4:34 am

What? where?.....
Back to top Go down
Jason
Aficionado
Jason

Name : Jason
Merit : 66

PostSubject: Re: Bench Seats, Leather vs. Cloth   Bench Seats, Leather vs. Cloth - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 05, 2013 4:45 pm

I love those seats.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Doctor_Meltdown
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 90

PostSubject: Re: Bench Seats, Leather vs. Cloth   Bench Seats, Leather vs. Cloth - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 05, 2013 8:28 pm

Actually Al, the "cloth bench" was "standard", no extra cost from '95-'97. The leather bench and leather buckets were the "options" for those years, they did away with the bench and the cloth as "standard" for '98 and '99 and just used leather buckets.

The following link takes you to the ROA Color and Trim Charts page, you can click on the year and see the trims available ...
http://rivowners.org/features/Ev_Stats/colortrim/

I have seen pictures of the cloth before but never seen one in person, I do have an ROA friend in SC that has one of them with a leather bench. It is a pretty low optioned Riv, has the supercharger and the leather on the bench seat and that is pretty much it!
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
joshuadalegrimes
Addict
joshuadalegrimes

Name : josh
Merit : 13

PostSubject: Re: Bench Seats, Leather vs. Cloth   Bench Seats, Leather vs. Cloth - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 06, 2013 2:42 am

id rather have the cloth than my hard old leather. i need to recover my seats!
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

PostSubject: Re: Bench Seats, Leather vs. Cloth   Bench Seats, Leather vs. Cloth - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 06, 2013 3:01 am

....hahah I'd rather have my leather. I don't think these cars look good with cloth inside.No?....haha...
Back to top Go down
joshuadalegrimes
Addict
joshuadalegrimes

Name : josh
Merit : 13

PostSubject: Re: Bench Seats, Leather vs. Cloth   Bench Seats, Leather vs. Cloth - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 06, 2013 8:54 pm

my leather is hard from years of someone before me not takin care of it. im going to try elephant wax on it sometime soon
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bench Seats, Leather vs. Cloth   Bench Seats, Leather vs. Cloth - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Bench Seats, Leather vs. Cloth
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next