Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

condensation under spare tire cover?

Go down 
+12
matt270avian
99Rivman
Abaddon
al_roethlisberger
albertj
firefighter
deekster_caddy
T Riley
palermocorey90
Jack the R
16 posters
AuthorMessage
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

condensation under spare tire cover? Empty
PostSubject: condensation under spare tire cover?   condensation under spare tire cover? EmptySun Mar 16, 2008 7:14 am

Anyone else have this problem? I don't know what the deal is. I see no signs of water leaking into the trunk, but there is always water clinging onto the bottom of the spare tire cover, and getting into the plastic tub the jack is stored in. My jack is getting rusty now. Don't want to think what's happening under the carpet.
Back to top Go down
palermocorey90
Expert
palermocorey90

Name : Corey
Merit : -24

PostSubject: Re: condensation under spare tire cover?   condensation under spare tire cover? EmptySun Mar 16, 2008 9:56 am

its not happening to me but i got massive water buildup under the back seat
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/glowinstrat
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: condensation under spare tire cover?   condensation under spare tire cover? EmptySun Mar 16, 2008 1:19 pm

Yikes, too many electronics there!
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: condensation under spare tire cover?   condensation under spare tire cover? EmptySun Mar 16, 2008 1:21 pm

Jack the R wrote:
Anyone else have this problem? I don't know what the deal is. I see no signs of water leaking into the trunk, but there is always water clinging onto the bottom of the spare tire cover, and getting into the plastic tub the jack is stored in. My jack is getting rusty now. Don't want to think what's happening under the carpet.

Yes sir. i used to have a lot of water build up behind the left side of the trunk and than it traveled to the spare tire........ i just RE GLUED the weather stripping
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: condensation under spare tire cover?   condensation under spare tire cover? EmptySun Mar 16, 2008 6:45 pm

yeah, triple check your trunk weatherstripping. Odds are good somebody put something heavy on an edge and bent the metal holding edge a little, even though it looks okay. You can re-bend it back into shape... had this problem on my mom's '98 PA, the whole spare tire well actually filled up with water... oops! Rebending the weatherstrip took care of it.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: condensation under spare tire cover?   condensation under spare tire cover? EmptySun Mar 16, 2008 10:39 pm

I'll check it tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: condensation under spare tire cover?   condensation under spare tire cover? EmptyTue Mar 18, 2008 10:05 pm

I didin't see anything wrong with the weatherstripping. I poured water around the edge of the trunk and didn't see a leak. I haven't found water in the tire well itself yet. It's clinging to the bottom of the cover, and in the plastic tub the jack sits in (having dripped off the bottom of the cover, no doubt). I think somehow it is condensing on the bottom of the cover, like it condenses on the outside of a toilet under certain conditions.
Back to top Go down
whit2285
Enthusiast
whit2285

Name : Mike
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: condensation under spare tire cover?   condensation under spare tire cover? EmptyTue Mar 18, 2008 11:58 pm

you know what, i think this time of the year thats probably normal hot to cold , cold to hot causes condensation there. really no air flow back there . i left my truck open one day last week to get the dampness out.
Back to top Go down

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: condensation under spare tire cover?   condensation under spare tire cover? EmptyWed Mar 19, 2008 12:55 am

as far as water in around the spare, keep in mind that there is a little vent flap in the right hand side in behind the trunk carpet. I've found that if I go to a pay and spray and go sticking the wand in and around the right rear tire I've on occasion stuck the wand in through that little flap, and gotten water in the trunk that way. Sometine a little that shows up as condensation on the spare, and once I must have stuck the whole things in and gave it a good spray, cause the trunk had a few inches of water in the spare well.

Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: condensation under spare tire cover?   condensation under spare tire cover? EmptyWed Mar 19, 2008 9:24 pm

I'll have to look for the vent flap, never noticed it before.
Back to top Go down
firefighter
Amateur

Name : paris
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: condensation under spare tire cover?   condensation under spare tire cover? EmptyWed Jul 03, 2013 10:22 pm

THE WATER MAY BE COMING IN FROM BENEATH THE TRUNK DOOR HING HOLDERS.
THEY GET WEAK FROM THE UP AND DOWN.
I HAD TO CALK AROUND MINE TO STOP THE WATER FROM GETTING IN THE TRUNK BY GOING IN UNDER THE HINGES.
FIREFIGHTER
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: condensation under spare tire cover?   condensation under spare tire cover? EmptyThu Jul 04, 2013 12:12 am

Most likely Firefighter is right. Look up at where the hinges bolt to the lip around the trunk. See rust or water stains? There is your leak.most likely the drivers side hinge.
Back to top Go down
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

Name : Al Roethlisberger
Merit : 24

PostSubject: Re: condensation under spare tire cover?   condensation under spare tire cover? EmptyThu Jul 04, 2013 11:23 am

As an aside, anyone else notice how elegant our trunk hinge mechanisms are? Normal GM hinges are pretty simple affairs, but the ones on the Riviera look like something off an aircraft.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: condensation under spare tire cover?   condensation under spare tire cover? EmptyFri Jul 05, 2013 9:23 am

al_roethlisberger wrote:

As an aside, anyone else notice how elegant our trunk hinge mechanisms are?  Normal GM hinges are pretty simple affairs, but the ones on the Riviera look like something off an aircraft.

Yes. They're adjustable as well. The hex on that rod can be turned to raise or lower the front corners of the decklid.

As for the leak, it could definitely be coming from under the plate. Instead of caulking around it, just take off the 2 10mm nuts on the bottom side and lift off the decklid. You can clean the area and use a good RTV as a gasket, then put the decklid back while it's wet.
If you're REAL lucky, the water is entering through a crack in the body sealer...where the quarter panel seam is. It can also get into the trunk from that little rubber seal that meets the B pillar and the quarter. Check it to see if it's broken or falling apart.
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 89

PostSubject: Re: condensation under spare tire cover?   condensation under spare tire cover? EmptySat Jul 06, 2013 8:01 am

Actually there are two thin rubber “washers” between the deck and the hinge, that is what is “supposed” to seal the trunk in that area. That is also where several body panels meet/come together, it could be leaking from any of those panels and just “end-up” running into the trunk.

As for the quarter panel seams near the trunk hinges, the fix at the dealership years ago was to put a “puddle” of sealer all over the seams and “hope” for the best!
condensation under spare tire cover? Paint_10

In the case of my ’95 it did not work, when I did my repaint I removed the “puddle” and taped off the “seams” themselves, and just sealed them.
condensation under spare tire cover? Paint_11

AND, that “little rubber seal that meets the B pillar and the quarter” is nothing more than decoration! It is possible to have water leaking under it BUT it is a deeper problem, where the B-pillar and quarter panel are welded together and then sealed. The trim piece is just that, a trim piece.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

PostSubject: Re: condensation under spare tire cover?   condensation under spare tire cover? EmptyTue Apr 08, 2014 9:14 pm

I've been noticing some condensation on the spare, cover, jack, etc. lately. The carpeting under it is pretty wet, and I also noticed some dampness to a lesser degree in the carpeting on the trunk floor by the antenna. Sounds like it's one or both of the trunk hinges leaking to me. I took everything out today for a few hours and let it sit in the sun to dry out. Any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: condensation under spare tire cover?   condensation under spare tire cover? EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 9:09 am

Check the clearance to the gasket along the edge closest to the rear window. The closed height is adjustable. Likely the gasket has compressed over the years. Close the trunk with a strip of paper on the gasket sticking out by the rear window. Can you slide the paper around?
Back to top Go down
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

Name : Tyler
Merit : 20

PostSubject: Re: condensation under spare tire cover?   condensation under spare tire cover? EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 11:46 am

Sit in your trunk with a flashlight and have a friend blast it with a hose. Check for where its leaking and go from there. On my old Thunderturd i just used some black silicone to fill in some cracks in the weatherstripping.
Back to top Go down
chitown_riv98
Fanatic

Name : Ruben
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: condensation under spare tire cover?   condensation under spare tire cover? EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 1:59 pm

I had the same problem but my leak was from the seam under the spare tire area. Check under the spare it might be that seam as well.
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

PostSubject: Re: condensation under spare tire cover?   condensation under spare tire cover? EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 2:14 pm

Dang bros.........
Back to top Go down
Animator
Animator

Name : Rob
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: condensation under spare tire cover?   condensation under spare tire cover? EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 9:48 pm

matt270avian wrote:
I've been noticing some condensation on the spare, cover, jack, etc. lately. The carpeting under it is pretty wet, and I also noticed some dampness to a lesser degree in the carpeting on the trunk floor by the antenna. Sounds like it's one or both of the trunk hinges leaking to me. I took everything out today for a few hours and let it sit in the sun to dry out. Any thoughts?

idea Matt: This may sound like a joke, but I'm serious. If it was me I'd get a kid with a flashlight to hop in my trunk, close the lid, and hit it with water from a garden hose. A small woman might do as well, but might be harder to convince. Once inside it should be easy to tell where the water is coming from. Don't forget to let the poor kid out, and have a towel handy.
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: condensation under spare tire cover?   condensation under spare tire cover? EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 10:42 pm

I was actually thinking of doing something like that. Set the hose on the back window and hop in with the keys.
Back to top Go down
Animator
Animator

Name : Rob
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: condensation under spare tire cover?   condensation under spare tire cover? EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 10:56 pm

matt270avian wrote:
I was actually thinking of doing something like that. Set the hose on the back window and hop in with the keys.

Alone? Take your cell phone too, just in case it goes wrong.
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: condensation under spare tire cover?   condensation under spare tire cover? EmptyThu Apr 10, 2014 8:53 am

Animator wrote:

I don't have any friends  cry 
Back to top Go down
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

Name : Tyler
Merit : 20

PostSubject: Re: condensation under spare tire cover?   condensation under spare tire cover? EmptyThu Apr 10, 2014 8:55 am

matt270avian wrote:

Animator wrote:

I don't have any friends  cry 

Depending on what kind of friends you have it may be safer to do it by yourself!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: condensation under spare tire cover?   condensation under spare tire cover? Empty

Back to top Go down

condensation under spare tire cover?
Page 1 of 1