Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Shifting with the gas pedal

Go down 
+3
deekster_caddy
AA
Shintsu
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Shintsu
Expert

Name : Shintsu
Merit : -16

Shifting with the gas pedal Empty
PostSubject: Shifting with the gas pedal   Shifting with the gas pedal EmptySun Mar 16, 2008 3:01 pm

I've noticed something about the Riv that I've always loved so much. When you floor it, if you let off and then stomp it again it usually shifts to the next gear. It's odd because my dad's GTP will not do this. If you floor it and then let off and floor it again it just resumes where it was in the same gear. Why is this?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Shifting with the gas pedal   Shifting with the gas pedal EmptySun Mar 16, 2008 3:28 pm

Probably something to do with the PCM tune in the GTP. It seems the GTP's tune may have a bigger RPM shift point range, so when you let off the WOT, you're still within the RPM threshold for that gear, whereas the Riv senses the lower RPM and thinks, "uh-oh, RPM isn't high enough, time to shift up for economy".

It could also be the OD (TCC lock-up) kicking in. The Riv will lock-up easily, but the GTP probably delays it for more spirited driving.

My Riv acts similar to your dad's GTP. I have to consciously try to drive efficiently. Otherwise the engine tries to produce max acceleration. I prefer this because when I'm in traffic down town, I don't like having to concentrate on making the car move. It just moves without provocation. On the freeway, when I can relax, I put her into cruise and will get ~30 mpg at times.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Shifting with the gas pedal   Shifting with the gas pedal EmptySun Mar 16, 2008 6:51 pm

Is your dad's GTP in performance shift mode? Try turning it off and see if it acts the same way...
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

PostSubject: Re: Shifting with the gas pedal   Shifting with the gas pedal EmptySun Mar 16, 2008 7:09 pm

ohh yeah.i always do that at 3000 rpm i let off the gas pedal then pedal again.1st to 2nd,2nd to 3 rd, but 3rd to 4th at about 3,300 rpm.But you get to feel the engine after a while
Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

PostSubject: Re: Shifting with the gas pedal   Shifting with the gas pedal EmptySun Mar 16, 2008 8:13 pm

It does the same in either mode. After his custom PCM it shifts up to 6k RPM in perf. shift though.
Back to top Go down
dreww
Junkie
dreww

Merit : 9

PostSubject: Re: Shifting with the gas pedal   Shifting with the gas pedal EmptyMon Mar 17, 2008 1:16 am

Shintsu wrote:
I've noticed something about the Riv that I've always loved so much. When you floor it, if you let off and then stomp it again it usually shifts to the next gear. It's odd because my dad's GTP will not do this. If you floor it and then let off and floor it again it just resumes where it was in the same gear. Why is this?

mine is a 96 with a vacuum controlled transmission.
Mine does exactly as you describe your dad's GTP. If you gun it and let off the gas, RPMS dont just fall/transmission shifts - unless youre nearing redline. It will hold the gear - almost like its waiting to see if you're gonna stomp it again.
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

Merit : 26

PostSubject: Re: Shifting with the gas pedal   Shifting with the gas pedal EmptyMon Mar 17, 2008 7:10 am

Not to sidetrack this... Why let off and then start pedalling again?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Shifting with the gas pedal   Shifting with the gas pedal EmptyMon Mar 17, 2008 8:33 am

Lol, I was thinking the same thing.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Shifting with the gas pedal   Shifting with the gas pedal EmptyMon Mar 17, 2008 11:07 am

BillBoost37 wrote:
i think he puts it in neutral at stoplights and rolls back and then puts it into drive then neutral to roll back, JUST so he can look like he has a manual transmission too rice haha
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
Shintsu
Expert

PostSubject: Re: Shifting with the gas pedal   Shifting with the gas pedal EmptyMon Mar 17, 2008 2:42 pm

98riviera98 wrote:
BillBoost37 wrote:
i think he puts it in neutral at stoplights and rolls back and then puts it into drive then neutral to roll back, JUST so he can look like he has a manual transmission too rice haha
mad I do not do that! My car doesn't even move when I put it into neutral. The only reason I do is because the rear view mirror kind of vibrates when it's in drive and in the morning when I have all the heat on the lights and everything get really dim and the blower slows down.

I like the idea of being able to shift my car when I want it to. Some times I punch it but not until it shifts because I'd be going too fast. I like how I can just give it decent gas and make it shift into the next without holding out to the shift point.

Gee, not like anyone with some common sense can't tell a manual apart from an auto when they drive off and shift from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shifting with the gas pedal   Shifting with the gas pedal Empty

Back to top Go down

Shifting with the gas pedal
Page 1 of 1