Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Vibrations in brake pedal

Go down 
+2
robotennis61
GreenSupreme
6 posters
AuthorMessage
GreenSupreme
Amateur

Name : Todd
Merit : 2

Vibrations in brake pedal Empty
PostSubject: Vibrations in brake pedal   Vibrations in brake pedal EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 1:01 am

So lately I have been noticing that occasionally when braking while going down hill I feel some vibrations in the brake pedal, I'm assuming it has something to do with the ABS system but since im am new to ABS I have no idea where to start looking, any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Vibrations in brake pedal   Vibrations in brake pedal EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 5:53 am

Your rotors could be warped or your wheels could be out of balance.find a wet road and jam on the brakes,if you feel the brakes pulsing through the peddle and you come to a halting stop,then your abs is working,in which case you would be looking else where
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Vibrations in brake pedal   Vibrations in brake pedal EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 8:42 am

vibrating brake pedal with no shaking of the steering wheel? Sounds like your rear rotors may be warped.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Vibrations in brake pedal   Vibrations in brake pedal EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 9:35 am

The discs may or may not be warped, but it's complicated to explain the science behind it. Depending on your comfort level with driving, you can try engaging the parking brake at speed to determine if the judder is coming from the front or rear. The red brake lamp will illuminate, and you will hear a chime while the pedal is depressed. This is normal, and will go off when you release the pedal. Do this on a quiet, straight portion of road at ~ 50 mph - if you feel the pulse, you know it's the rears. If not, you know it's the fronts.

Easiest fix is a brake job, replacing pads/rotors on the offending wheels. There are ways to 'scrub' the rotor clean if the problem is just beginning, but if in an advanced stage the rotors may be warped. Using a dial indicator, you may be able to rotate the rotors for less run-out. It depends on the level of experimenting you are up for.

If this were an ABS issue, your ABS lamp would likely be illuminated.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
GreenSupreme
Amateur

Name : Todd
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Vibrations in brake pedal   Vibrations in brake pedal EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 11:12 am

I really dont think it's a rotor issue, Im well aware of what warped rotors feel like through the pedal and it's not the same thing. I should have done a better job at explaining it but the vibrating is more of a violent fast vibrating, and it only happens a few times a week but lately it seems to have gotten slowly worse. I know that with warped rotors the pulses through the pedal are in direct relation to your speed but the vibrations im feeling is always the same, even when barley rolling its a fast vibrating and if I let off the brake and then re-apply it goes away.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Vibrations in brake pedal   Vibrations in brake pedal EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 11:36 am

Then you probably have a wheel speed sensor going bad and causing unwanted ABS engagement.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Vibrations in brake pedal   Vibrations in brake pedal EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 11:59 am

Strange the ABS lamp hasn't come on. I think in time if this gets worse, you'll notice the lamp will come on until you restart the car.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Vibrations in brake pedal   Vibrations in brake pedal EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 12:44 pm

Yeah, if it's totally intermittent, the ABS lamp won't come on.....until it becomes more constant of a problem. You can drive with a scan tool and monitor wheel speed to see which one is dropping, usually to 0 mph, which is why the ABS engages.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: Vibrations in brake pedal   Vibrations in brake pedal EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 2:07 pm

Taking a test drive with a scan tool (preferably the GM Tech II) is a great idea, take a driving log and monitor the ABS. I don't remember if CarCode will watch the ABS for logging (it will log any emission sensor, it *should* do brakes too I just don't recall).

Be aware that the ABS will engage every so many stops as part of the system self-test.

My "money" is on a wheel sensor problem although this is not the usual failure pattern.

I think you could use a factory manual.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
98riv

Merit : 30

PostSubject: Re: Vibrations in brake pedal   Vibrations in brake pedal EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 8:21 pm

Does the brake pedal kick back at you at any time when you hit the brakes? I know in the winter when I get the ABS going off the brake pedal kicks back and I can hear the abs system working.

PostSubject: Re: Vibrations in brake pedal   Vibrations in brake pedal Empty

Back to top Go down

Vibrations in brake pedal
Page 1 of 1