Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Not starting... sometimes

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
knel8025
Special

Merit : 0

Not starting... sometimes Empty
PostSubject: Not starting... sometimes   Not starting... sometimes EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 7:46 pm

I have a 1990 Riviera and I have a very frustrating problem. Similar to another qustion here car won't start. Everything turns on, lights, radio, etc., I can hear the fuel pump going even, but when I turn the key, the click from the relay is all that happens. The frustrating part is this only happens when it's gets wet, after snow melts or after driving in the rain. Gotta new starter, new fuel pump, still when whatever it is that gets wet does so... NOTHING. I can't find a relay for the starter and I'm kinda at my wit's end. Any and all guidance is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Not starting... sometimes   Not starting... sometimes EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 8:42 pm

hmmm
neutral safety switch?

I'm guessing here. We used to have an '86 and we had that happen a couple of times, but holding the key in the start position or turning it in and out a bunch would eventually start it.

Sorry that's not very helpful I know... Check the NSS, try wiggling the shifter while you are trying to start.
Back to top Go down
DankAlumni
Special

Name : Chris
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Not starting... sometimes   Not starting... sometimes EmptySat Apr 17, 2010 1:25 pm

I have a 1990 Rivera also I have a similar problem all the same symptons with the weather situation.Only difference is mine cranks I hear the fuel pump checked for spark coils seems fine. Just doesnt start its selective when it does it. I have a check engine light on occasionally I would run the engine code if my scanner was OBD 1.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Not starting... sometimes   Not starting... sometimes EmptySat Apr 17, 2010 6:56 pm

With a new starter, Deek may be right about the NSS...

Have you tried holding the key down and shifting back & forth around Neutral?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Not starting... sometimes   Not starting... sometimes Empty

Back to top Go down

Not starting... sometimes
Page 1 of 1