Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

engine dies at speed on highway

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
'89 Riviera One Owner
Special

Merit : 0

engine dies at speed on highway Empty
PostSubject: engine dies at speed on highway   engine dies at speed on highway EmptyMon May 19, 2008 8:21 pm

at 40-60 mph engine cuts/dies...coast to side of road, cool, starts-up, computer command block displays "electrical problem", diagnostics haven't id'd specific electrical problem...Anybody have suggestions? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: engine dies at speed on highway   engine dies at speed on highway EmptyMon May 19, 2008 10:52 pm

We had a similar problem on an '86, turned out to be the 'distributor' or ignition module, I forget exactly what they called it. But it could also be the crank position sensor or a few other possibilities I forget.

You know how to cheat into the advanced diagnostic in the CRT, right? (Does the '89 still have the CRT?)
Back to top Go down
'89 Riviera One Owner
Special

Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: engine dies at speed on highway   engine dies at speed on highway EmptyTue May 20, 2008 8:41 pm

Selected into the CRT (Centered on Dash W/Screen Display) response I'm getting is generic electrical. Distributor Module sounds like a real reasonable possibility.

Borrowed an EZ Link Diagnostic Scanner today...1st try "car isn't communicating". Continuing to problem solve. Thanks for the help!
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: engine dies at speed on highway   engine dies at speed on highway EmptyTue May 20, 2008 10:21 pm

I'm talking about diagnostic mode - you push something like 'Heat' and 'Off' at the same time and you can browse every sensor the PCM can see. I don't know if that will help you with this problem, but I think you can see things like distributor voltage and coil outputs.

An excellent diagnostic tool - you don't need a scanner!! Built in!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: engine dies at speed on highway   engine dies at speed on highway Empty

Back to top Go down

engine dies at speed on highway
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   N/A 3800 Tech :: Pre-Series I Engine & Transmission-
Jump to: