Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Maybe I Can Get Some Questions Answered..Im a Newbie

Go down 
+3
Mr.Riviera
99Rivman
xxsupergman25xx
7 posters
AuthorMessage
xxsupergman25xx
Aficionado
xxsupergman25xx

Name : Scotty
Merit : 13

Maybe I Can Get Some Questions Answered..Im a Newbie Empty
PostSubject: Maybe I Can Get Some Questions Answered..Im a Newbie   Maybe I Can Get Some Questions Answered..Im a Newbie EmptySat Mar 03, 2007 1:59 am

ok..so ive been wonderin a few things..i was using car domain and wasnt gettin anything answered which was for a reason..its not for questions..its for showin off ur ride.

first off have a 1995 Riviera Supercharged Fully Loaded. 33,000 miles..yes.. thirty -three thousand miles..
questions..
1. what type of gas mileage are ur rivs gettin? with what type of gas?
2. im also havin some issues wit the tank...ive read sumwhere its 19.2 then sumwhere else that its 18.5..another thing is that its seems when its full..its stays at full or a lil past for a good bit....then drops at a weird rate..reason??
3. is there a simple way of taken the ashtray out?
4. Did anyone replace their steering wheel with a new one and steering wheel controls? i just think itd be cool..

if anyone has answers..that would be awesome.

Scotty
Back to top Go down
http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/xxsupergman25xx/
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 89

PostSubject: Re: Maybe I Can Get Some Questions Answered..Im a Newbie   Maybe I Can Get Some Questions Answered..Im a Newbie EmptySat Mar 03, 2007 8:20 am

xxsupergman25xx wrote:
1. what type of gas mileage are ur rivs gettin? with what type of gas?
2. im also havin some issues wit the tank...ive read sumwhere its 19.2 then sumwhere else that its 18.5..another thing is that its seems when its full..its stays at full or a lil past for a good bit....then drops at a weird rate..reason??
3. is there a simple way of taken the ashtray out?
4. Did anyone replace their steering wheel with a new one and steering wheel controls? i just think itd be cool..

if anyone has answers..that would be awesome.

Scotty

Welcome! Saw your car on the domain, looks good.

1. I use super, 91-93 depending on where I get it, and get 27.5 mpg highway for the most part with my '95.
2. The '95 manual list the tank size as 19.4 and the '99 manual list it at 18.5, not sure why it changed but the manuals say it did? My '95 has the same tendencies that your gauge does, it is slow to get to half a tank then goes to empty quickly, but the '99 seems to be closer to accurate from top to bottom?
3. Do you mean just the ashtray itself or the whole assembly?
4. You mean an aftermarket steering wheel? Yours has controls?
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
xxsupergman25xx
Aficionado
xxsupergman25xx

PostSubject: Re: Maybe I Can Get Some Questions Answered..Im a Newbie   Maybe I Can Get Some Questions Answered..Im a Newbie EmptySat Mar 03, 2007 10:08 am

Thnx for the answers Rivman.
wat about city miles?
and i mean just the ashtray itself..i think its annoyin...i dont smoke..and its a perfect place to slide an mp3 player in,
as for the steering wheel..i have a steering wheel with controls..but the first car a i drove has a smaller, thicker sterring wheel which i was more comfortable with..its just an option im exploring.

Thanks Again
Scotty
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Maybe I Can Get Some Questions Answered..Im a Newbie   Maybe I Can Get Some Questions Answered..Im a Newbie EmptySat Mar 03, 2007 10:24 am

you should be able to get 18 in the city.
there are always steering wheel covers. replacing the wheel is not easy and kinds dangerous with the air bag.
they DID change the tank size from year to year. my 96 has a 19.6? gal tank. the 97 and 98's have a 16._ gal tank and according to 99rivman the 99 has 18.5.
the gauge is pretty much messed up on everyones car, you should never let it get down to low anyways.(bad for the pump)
on mine, once the light comes on i know i have about 2.5 gallons left. i fill it up and it stays on full for a long time (90-100 miles highway or 60 miles city) then it moves a notch per gallon up to about the 1/2 mark where it sits again. just use the trip reset when you get gas and keep in mind how many miles you get to a tank.
oh and welcome scotty!

Back to top Go down
xxsupergman25xx
Aficionado
xxsupergman25xx

PostSubject: Re: Maybe I Can Get Some Questions Answered..Im a Newbie   Maybe I Can Get Some Questions Answered..Im a Newbie EmptySat Mar 03, 2007 10:54 am

thanks Mr. Riv.
yeah i get about 13 MPG city..i live around a hilly area so i wouldnt mind averaing 15...i never let the light go on. my dad calls that a sin to cars haha.
i didnt think about the airbag..that definetly could screw stuff up..oh well..it was just a thought..
about that ashtray...anything?
or any other little tips anyone wants to throw my way?

Thanks
Scotty
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: Maybe I Can Get Some Questions Answered..Im a Newbie   Maybe I Can Get Some Questions Answered..Im a Newbie EmptySat Mar 03, 2007 11:01 am

replce your fuel filter and plugs. use prem gas for best mileage. look at the FAQ

Back to top Go down
jax95riv
Aficionado
jax95riv

Name : Jack
Merit : 6

PostSubject: Re: Maybe I Can Get Some Questions Answered..Im a Newbie   Maybe I Can Get Some Questions Answered..Im a Newbie EmptySat Mar 03, 2007 11:39 am

Lot's of good info about the plugs on the board. I'm going to change the wheel out in mine also. I don't have the radio controls in mine though, but I will be giving up the airbag. Just go with whatever your vision for the car is. I would like to see some pics of your ride. You don't see to many low mileage Rivs smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/468780
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 89

PostSubject: Re: Maybe I Can Get Some Questions Answered..Im a Newbie   Maybe I Can Get Some Questions Answered..Im a Newbie EmptySat Mar 03, 2007 11:50 am

xxsupergman25xx wrote:
thanks Mr. Riv.
yeah i get about 13 MPG city..i live around a hilly area so i wouldnt mind averaing 15...i never let the light go on. my dad calls that a sin to cars haha.
i didnt think about the airbag..that definetly could screw stuff up..oh well..it was just a thought..
about that ashtray...anything?
or any other little tips anyone wants to throw my way?

Thanks
Scotty

I usually get 16-18 in town, depends on how much fun I'm having with it!
To remove the ashtray itself you just use the two tabs on each side of the ashtray, pull up and out. If you want to get rid of the spring loaded part it sets in, they are part of the whole assembly.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
xxsupergman25xx
Aficionado
xxsupergman25xx

PostSubject: Re: Maybe I Can Get Some Questions Answered..Im a Newbie   Maybe I Can Get Some Questions Answered..Im a Newbie EmptySat Mar 03, 2007 12:04 pm

o here it thought the post was deleted, and it was just moved. lol..got it. thanks for the ashtray removal, ill try that today. is it really safe to give up the airbag Jax?! oh well..do what u gotta do. haha. id love to see pics of ur Riv with a new wheel. and i posted my car domain in my signature a few mins ago..hopefully it shows up..
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2575594
Back to top Go down
jax95riv
Aficionado
jax95riv

PostSubject: Re: Maybe I Can Get Some Questions Answered..Im a Newbie   Maybe I Can Get Some Questions Answered..Im a Newbie EmptySat Mar 03, 2007 12:13 pm

Quote :
is it really safe to give up the airbag Jax?

It's a roll of the dice if I'd ever need it, but in my opinion, the steering wheel is what I look at the most on my car, so it's worth the risk to me to look at my wheel of choice.Maybe I Can Get Some Questions Answered..Im a Newbie MMDriverSW
Back to top Go down
xxsupergman25xx
Aficionado
xxsupergman25xx

PostSubject: Re: Maybe I Can Get Some Questions Answered..Im a Newbie   Maybe I Can Get Some Questions Answered..Im a Newbie EmptySat Mar 03, 2007 12:16 pm

hahaha yeah might as well be happy when ur goin to die..how come no steering wheel controls? im a huge fan of them..id like to see the finished product installed when possible
Back to top Go down
jax95riv
Aficionado
jax95riv

PostSubject: Re: Maybe I Can Get Some Questions Answered..Im a Newbie   Maybe I Can Get Some Questions Answered..Im a Newbie EmptySat Mar 03, 2007 12:23 pm

Quote :
yeah might as well be happy when ur goin to die

Go out wit a smile laughat
I didn't have stereo control option on this vehicle, not my choice. I'll post some pics when I change it though. It will be a few months. It's a $425 wheel. :roll:
Back to top Go down
Jason
Aficionado
Jason

Name : Jason
Merit : 65

PostSubject: Re: Maybe I Can Get Some Questions Answered..Im a Newbie   Maybe I Can Get Some Questions Answered..Im a Newbie EmptySat Mar 03, 2007 9:38 pm

concerning the fuel gauge, a lot of them do that. It can be fixed
by splicing a potentiometer into the fuel sender wire. One day,
I'll get a write-up made for that.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Doctor_Meltdown
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Maybe I Can Get Some Questions Answered..Im a Newbie   Maybe I Can Get Some Questions Answered..Im a Newbie EmptySat Mar 03, 2007 11:13 pm

My 98 owners manual, and 98 Service Manuals, give different figures for the gas tank capacity. I believe one shows 18.5 and the other 19.2. Neither shows 16.xx, don't know where that figure came from.

My fuel gauge is also slow the first 1/4 tank, then drops much more quickly. But when it's dead on the empty mark, I can only put about 15.5 gal in it.

My last tank I got 19.5 mpg of combined city/hiway driving. Haven't taken a long road trip to see what hwy mpg is.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: Maybe I Can Get Some Questions Answered..Im a Newbie   Maybe I Can Get Some Questions Answered..Im a Newbie EmptySun Mar 04, 2007 7:38 pm

according to this http://media.gm.com/ca/gm/en/products/buick/archives/1997Riviera.html
the 97 had a 16.7 gal. tank. and i think i remember a post a LONG time ago where Aaron said his 98's tank was 16.7 gal too. maybe there was an optional larger tank or they may have changed it mid 98 to the larger size.

Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: Maybe I Can Get Some Questions Answered..Im a Newbie   Maybe I Can Get Some Questions Answered..Im a Newbie EmptySun Mar 04, 2007 7:39 pm

but that site may be off b/c it says the same for every year and i KNOW mine holds more than 16.7 gal. it also says curb weight is 3720 and my door say different. go figure dunno

Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: Maybe I Can Get Some Questions Answered..Im a Newbie   Maybe I Can Get Some Questions Answered..Im a Newbie EmptySun Mar 04, 2007 9:30 pm

If I said 16.7 I don't remember. Mine holds 18.5.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Maybe I Can Get Some Questions Answered..Im a Newbie   Maybe I Can Get Some Questions Answered..Im a Newbie Empty

Back to top Go down

Maybe I Can Get Some Questions Answered..Im a Newbie
Page 1 of 1