Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Power Antenna ??

Go down 
+12
dscott2000
duster_do_little
deekster_caddy
Chicken
lionfish
albertj
ibmoses
1998 Riv
Natesriv
Rivierachubbyboy
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Rivierachubbyboy
Rookie

Name : Langston
Merit : 0

Power Antenna ?? Empty
PostSubject: Antenna   Power Antenna ?? EmptyMon Jul 07, 2008 12:34 pm

I cut the wires to my ant. so it wouldnt go up or down anymore it was annoying the hell out of me now my radio does not work.The wires were in the back of the trunk what does that have to do witht he radio also i have checked the fuses and put in different radios dont know what the problem is
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/cutlassman88
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

Power Antenna ?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Antenna ??   Power Antenna ?? EmptyMon Jul 07, 2008 1:01 pm

no antenna=no reception for the radio.
as long as the cable that goes from the head unit to the ant. is plugged in you should have some reception, but if you remove the antenna completely or cut/unplug that black wire then it will not work. if you have an aftermarket radio, you can just cut the turn-on lead for ant motor. (it's one of those 30+ wires in there wink and the instructions probably has it color coded.

Back to top Go down
Rivierachubbyboy
Rookie

Power Antenna ?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Antenna ??   Power Antenna ?? EmptyMon Jul 07, 2008 1:43 pm

I do have an aftermarket radio and its not working.I went back to the antenna and put them back together and nothing put in my factory radio and still nothing. This doesnt make any sense
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Power Antenna ?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Antenna ??   Power Antenna ?? EmptyMon Jul 07, 2008 1:45 pm

run an ohm meter across all the fuses under the back seat and next to the dash

Back to top Go down

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

Power Antenna ?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Antenna ??   Power Antenna ?? EmptyMon Jul 07, 2008 1:48 pm

once you figgure out what you "cutting" did..... you could do what I did. I took the antenna right out when the motor died(but left it connected), and stuffed the whole issue under the trunk matting. Suprisingly, I can still get recption inside the closed trunk. The antenna power lead goes to the amp for my sub, and in place of the radio antenna I have a shortie CB antenna.

Addict
Natesriv

Name : Nate
Merit : 16

Power Antenna ?? Empty
PostSubject: Power Antenna ??   Power Antenna ?? EmptyMon Jul 07, 2008 3:33 pm

My power anteanna cable broke and now it's not working. I took the whole thing out, popped the case and removed the broken bits of cable.

I looked at GMpartsdirect and they show the mast assembly is only $25 or so... but does the mast assembly only come with the cable part too? If so I can just buy that and put in in the old motor assembly... which works fine by the way. The part is #4 as shown in the pic
Power Antenna ?? Standard

Any ideas guys???

Thanks!
N.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

Power Antenna ?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Antenna ??   Power Antenna ?? EmptyMon Jul 07, 2008 4:21 pm

I think it includes the cable. I need this also, my ant. only goes up and down a little ways now.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Power Antenna ?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Antenna ??   Power Antenna ?? EmptyMon Jul 07, 2008 4:27 pm

what did you use to fill the hole where the antenna goes through the 1/4 panel?

Back to top Go down

Power Antenna ?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Antenna ??   Power Antenna ?? EmptyMon Jul 07, 2008 5:06 pm

Mr.Riviera wrote:
what did you use to fill the hole where the antenna goes through the 1/4 panel?

.. a CB antenna...   actually i hacked up the old mounting bracket from the power antenna to take the CB ant, even used the same gasket.. no leaks..    on a slightly related note, on my old lesabre i also removed the ant, and pushed a nice rubber cork up from the underside. never leaked, looked good flush with the stock rubber around the hole.

Rookie

Power Antenna ?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Antenna ??   Power Antenna ?? EmptyMon Jul 07, 2008 5:09 pm

i checked the fuses in the fuse box near the door and the radio fuse is good
Back to top Go down

Power Antenna ?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Antenna ??   Power Antenna ?? EmptyMon Jul 07, 2008 5:18 pm

if the fuses are good, take a volt meter to the wires up near your aftermarket radio.. also some aftermarket radios have little built in fuses in the back(dunno if yours does).  When you cut the wires at the back antenna, did you cut more then one at once?  In the past i've been lazy and left all power connected and clipped more than wire in a bunch. metal clippers, and a positive wire and another wire that you don't want positive travelling down causes "things" to happen...

Rookie

Power Antenna ?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Antenna ??   Power Antenna ?? EmptyMon Jul 07, 2008 5:44 pm

https://2img.net/h/i27.photobucket.com/albums/c159/princeofcashvill/IMG_0281.jpg

this is a pic of the wires that i cut
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

Power Antenna ?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Antenna ??   Power Antenna ?? EmptyMon Jul 07, 2008 7:13 pm

If you get it fixed do some write up. Lots of people have the same problem. Including me.

Bert:tavis:
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

Power Antenna ?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Antenna ??   Power Antenna ?? EmptyTue Jul 08, 2008 9:13 am

Yep, mast has the metal pole and the plastic cable. Be careful putting it in.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

Power Antenna ?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Antenna ??   Power Antenna ?? EmptyTue Jul 08, 2008 12:05 pm

yeah, I'll buy it and do a write up... doesn't look too hard, but it's tricky and you don't want to snap that cable!!!

More soon.

Thanks gang!
Back to top Go down
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

Power Antenna ?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Antenna ??   Power Antenna ?? EmptyTue Jul 08, 2008 12:10 pm

part ordered
$34 from GMpartsdirect.com

we'll see, it's special order and non returnable... so it's a gamble they're sending a OEM specific one...

I'll let you guys know
Back to top Go down
lionfish
Enthusiast
lionfish

Merit : 5

Power Antenna ?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Antenna ??   Power Antenna ?? EmptyThu Jul 10, 2008 9:36 pm

When my antenna stopped working I purchased a new one from GM Parts Direct
for $82 (#88891021).
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Power Antenna ?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Antenna ??   Power Antenna ?? EmptyFri Jul 11, 2008 9:11 am

I'm likely to buy the complete assy as well. After 10 yrs and 120,000 miles, would rather have it new, than have to maybe deal with motor failure a little later after replacing just a mast.
Back to top Go down
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

Power Antenna ?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Antenna ??   Power Antenna ?? EmptySun Jul 13, 2008 8:36 pm

the motor in mine appears fine, plus I took it apart and see no wear. You have to drill out 3 rivets, but there are clips to hold the entire assemby together

I get the part next week, we'll see then what I got.

I'll take pics and show everyone.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Power Antenna ?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Antenna ??   Power Antenna ?? EmptyMon Jul 14, 2008 12:11 am

Nate, you should be getting the correct OEM part, that's what they sell, not aftermarket crap labeled wrong on the site. If you order the right GM part number, that's what you'll get.

I've found that every part I've ordered from them, whether for my 68 (yes, they had some parts still...) or the Riv, without exception they are classified as spec. order only, no returns.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Power Antenna ?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Antenna ??   Power Antenna ?? EmptyMon Jul 14, 2008 11:45 am

lionfish wrote:
When my antenna stopped working I purchased a new one from GM Parts Direct
for $82 (#88891021).

Not anymore... $117.63 today. Funny how prices keep going up, even though these are undoubtedly Old GM Stock, been on the shelf for several years. How long ago did you buy yours?
Back to top Go down
lionfish
Enthusiast
lionfish

Merit : 5

Power Antenna ?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Antenna ??   Power Antenna ?? EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 12:51 pm

I purchased the antenna in Fall 2005. I was surprised to see that the new list
price is 226.22. New supplier?

GM PART # 88891021
CATEGORY: Power Radio Antenna Module
PACK QTY: 1
CORE CHARGE: $0.00
GM LIST: $226.22
OUR PRICE: $117.63
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

Power Antenna ?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Antenna ??   Power Antenna ?? EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 5:46 pm

I'm pretty sure 88891021 is a Metra with some clickety bits to make it fit a number of applications and a replacement bracket (instead of the mild steel strap you get with the aftermarket one such as can be bought at Pep Boys). I think it's the PW-22 with a plug that directly connects to the Riv's wiring harness instead of the universal one. The part that passes thru the hole in the fender is different- OE is recessed and the Metra is raised.

My OE antenna died real bad on a road trip, I replaced it while traveling with a PW22 Metra. I think they're really made by Harada.

But actually, Lionfish would know, maybe he'll tell us if his replacement was recessed or raised.

For some real fun look at these:

http://www.thehoffmangroup.com/autoloc/product.lasso?prodinc=antennas

they have one that is hidden - yo Corey you can get rid of your external antenna completely next time you fill and spray a car... And they have one with billet aluminum top that you sand/plane flush with the car.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Power Antenna ?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Antenna ??   Power Antenna ?? EmptyThu Jul 17, 2008 10:04 am

Well, there's a raised rubber bezel sitting up on the fender of mine. Don't know if that's the raised part you're refering to. I'd guess mine is original.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

Power Antenna ?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Antenna ??   Power Antenna ?? EmptyThu Jul 17, 2008 6:15 pm

Hard to tell without seeing.

The original is kind of like a slightly raised rubber gasket - the finial of the antenna lowers into it.

The replacement is a sort of a raised bump. The finial of the antenna lowers about flush with the top of the bump; the bump is above the plane of the fender.

Albertj

Last edited by albertj on Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Power Antenna ?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Antenna ??   Power Antenna ?? Empty

Back to top Go down

Power Antenna ??
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next